Check your account email address ×

Print me a new home

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

Maybe the future of homebuilding since skilled tradesmen are slowly becoming extinct.

I'm actually thinking new homes will start being built off site in pieces (modular) in much greater volumes now.  I think companies that can bring in lumber and supplies by the trail load will be the only ones that can build at economy to scale.  

Craftsman will more more toward remodeling...and do well there.

Modular home building is definitely in demand.   Have a friend that is having one built now for his hunting property as it is fairly cost effective right now.  Every builder I have talked to lately cannot get help and if someone comes along looking for work the average time until they quit is two weeks.

Brother and I are in the process of having a pole building constructed.  Excavator that we hired just finished up with site prep.  Says he cannot find anyone to hire with a CDL to drive truck for him.  Would hire pretty much anyone on the spot.  Builder is using Amish tradesmen exclusively because they are the only workers that he can rely on to show up for work when he needs them and stopped hiring "English" 5 years ago.  Guy has orders for 45 buildings this summer.  Things are nuts right now and good luck to anyone looking to get something built in the next year or two.

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

Modular home building is definitely in demand.   Have a friend that is having one built now for his hunting property as it is fairly cost effective right now.  Every builder I have talked to lately cannot get help and if someone comes along looking for work the average time until they quit is two weeks.

Brother and I are in the process of having a pole building constructed.  Excavator that we hired just finished up with site prep.  Says he cannot find anyone to hire with a CDL to drive truck for him.  Would hire pretty much anyone on the spot.  Builder is using Amish tradesmen exclusively because they are the only workers that he can rely on to show up for work when he needs them and stopped hiring "English" 5 years ago.  Guy has orders for 45 buildings this summer.  Things are nuts right now and good luck to anyone looking to get something built in the next year or two.

I'm almost positive I've built my last home for somebody else.  I don't need the headaches these guys bring with them anymore.  I like smaller, more profitable custom projects a lot more where I can control 100% of the process and labor. I'm dreading trying to hire guys to help me with my next home.  it's a shame...some real trade talent out there....with no brains to be able to get their acts together.  By the time you realize it, you are knee deep in their problems.

58 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm actually thinking new homes will start being built off site in pieces (modular) in much greater volumes now.  I think companies that can bring in lumber and supplies by the trail load will be the only ones that can build at economy to scale.  

I have seen very few homes being built in the last 10 yrs that have not had all the walls and stairs trucked in and set with the crane . And with zip being the norm all you have to yeah your guys is how to hook up a rope use a roll of tape and shoot down a plate 

59 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I have seen very few homes being built in the last 10 yrs that have not had all the walls and stairs trucked in and set with the crane . And with zip being the norm all you have to yeah your guys is how to hook up a rope use a roll of tape and shoot down a plate 

Yeah...the haydays of new homes dried up in the recession.  I haven't seen them return either.  Even some of the largest builders are just now getting back into large developments.  Costs are killing everyone.

• Gold Member

It must just be your area because they are building new houses crazy around here. Everyone I’ve seen is stick built by a crew of framers. My place was stick built by a two guy crew. Hard ass working guys worked long days and did a great job.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Apparently our home was modular (according to the neighbor who saw it go up in 2001).  I can't tell at all.  The home itself is well built but the homeowner finishing touches are sketchy.  Decks with no footings, landscape along that house before the ground was properly settled, exterior concrete that was done poorly, etc. 

Seriously, who goes through the trouble to put a deck on and just drops the posts in a hole in the ground?

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Apparently our home was modular (according to the neighbor who saw it go up in 2001).  I can't tell at all.  The home itself is well built but the homeowner finishing touches are sketchy.  Decks with no footings, landscape along that house before the ground was properly settled, exterior concrete that was done poorly, etc. 

Seriously, who goes through the trouble to put a deck on and just drops the posts in a hole in the ground?

Modular build it a better way.  All built in a controlled environment.  It's just not usually that much cheaper when you figure in shipping and labor to bolt it together.  You shouldn't see any real difference in the actual finished product  But, finish and trim work are important...as with all builds.  Even a home built with great and strong "bones" can look like ass if the detail work was done half assed.  I'm in the process of finishing the house I'm in now....and all I hear from my wife is, "why does it take so long?"  :wall: 

As far as "who just drops post in the ground?" well, somebody not worried about a permit or inspections but, honestly, there's probably some type of footing or auger anchor under those posts.  I can't imagine just dropping posts on or in the ground without something in that frost area.  It'd rip your home to shreds over time.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, teamgreen02 said:

The guy did a great job building my place up north, and then skimped on the deck. I’m not a builder but I took one look at it and said that needs to be redone. Must have been in a hurry to get out of there that day.

:dunno: