Check your account email address ×

Puzzle....New 850 Doo burn down issues are real!

Poncho

20 minutes ago, Garth said:

Irv is that a OEM Yamaha belt for that price?

OEM. It's been 2-3 yrs since I last purchased one, but going by this, and others I just seen, it doesn't look like the price has gone up much or any?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-New-OEM-Primary-Drive-Clutch-Belt-8DN-17641-01-00-Apex-Nytro-Vector-Viper-/181061180468

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

A member from this site has gone through $2000 worth of belts on his 850 this year

Even a doo lover like me finds that hard to believe.

Might have to get my buddy, the Puzzler, to investigate this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

It does seem to be a lofty claim, for me that would be installing a new belt every ride and at times 2 belts per ride.

6 minutes ago, irv said:

OEM. It's been 2-3 yrs since I last purchased one, but going by this, and others I just seen, it doesn't look like the price has gone up much or any?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-New-OEM-Primary-Drive-Clutch-Belt-8DN-17641-01-00-Apex-Nytro-Vector-Viper-/181061180468

Wow Irv that is good and more in line with what a belt should cost. I think the other manus just might be making a little extra profit on belts.. 

Just now, Garth said:

It does seem to be a lofty claim, for me that would be installing a new belt every ride and at times 2 belts per ride.

I think 04 and some his buds ride pretty aggressively off trail, basically ditch banger, boondocking and hill climbing. 

That type of riding can be hard on everything. 

6 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

This is from a post he made. Also has pics of the 10 jugs of oil he's gone through in 1500k of riding. Like I said it is hard riding and to the bar a lot. 

IMG_1041.PNG

1 minute ago, Garth said:

Wow Irv that is good and more in line with what a belt should cost. I think the other manus just might be making a little extra profit on belts.. 

Oh, for sure! I remember reading about all the blown belt issues the Cats were having a few years ago, then someone mentioned what a new belt was worth and I near sh!t myself O.o

I forget now to be honest, but I think my XLT's belt is around the same money as my Yamaha belt? It's been a few years since I purchased one of those too.  

44 minutes ago, irv said:

I thought you were going to say around that amount. 

It baffles the mind how I can get a belt for around $75 dollars, that, in all likely hood, is twice the belt that Doo belt is. 

Heat is definitely the killer for these belts. My Vector's previous owner blew one but he was doing some drag racing at the time. Belts should also be broken in (heat cycles) before gouging on them, imo. 

That's the reason the dealer gave me for strongly suggesting that I don't store a spare belt on top of the shield above the clutches on our sleds. We have Cats with the 4 stroke Yamaha and apparently there have been people who have stored their spare belts there only to find that when they need to put these expensive belts in use they are already well into useful life from the heat.

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Oh, for sure! I remember reading about all the blown belt issues the Cats were having a few years ago, then someone mentioned what a new belt was worth and I near sh!t myself O.o

I forget now to be honest, but I think my XLT's belt is around the same money as my Yamaha belt? It's been a few years since I purchased one of those too.  

Yes when I had wedge Indys and even Edge XC sleds the OEM belts were around $80

42 minutes ago, Garth said:

Ah this is mountain riding. That makes it more believeable. Prob tons of heat.

You mean doo didn,t account for that when designing and testing their awesome sleds, or do you think doo left this one up to the consumers to do the testing ?

3 hours ago, Garth said:

No need to spend  $250 on the 117. Gates carbon is the best Polaris belt.

No aftermarket belt is technically better than OEM..... AFAIK Polaris belts are patented and exact replicas cannot be made by the aftermarket brands. Therefore you cant obtain the proper taper belt/clutch face.

56 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

You mean doo didn,t account for that when designing and testing their awesome sleds, or do you think doo left this one up to the consumers to do the testing ?

In this case that would Seem possible. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

No aftermarket belt is technically better than OEM..... AFAIK Polaris belts are patented and exact replicas cannot be made by the aftermarket brands. Therefore you cant obtain the proper taper belt/clutch face.

I'm sure they are Tommy, and I'm by no means saying that the polaris belt is not good. Let's say after a few years of using Gates belts over many thousands of miles that in my opinion they deliver better value than the OEM Polaris 115 or 117 respectively.

Just now, Garth said:

I'm sure they are Tommy, and I'm by no means saying that the polaris belt is not good. Let's say after a few years of using Gates belts over many thousands of miles that in my opinion they deliver better value than the OEM Polaris 115 or 117 respectively.

What does the comparable Gates cost you?

I can order them FYI 

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

Price out those Polaris belts.  Yeah, their sleds might be cheaper, but they're certainly hoping to make up the difference at the parts counter!

$240 for an axys belt? I honestly don't find it ridiculous..

You don't?  $271 including tax?  You must work for Polaris. 

XTXs are $135 at Royal, and have never had an issue with them. 

Just now, Tommy said:

$240 for an axys belt? I honestly don't find it ridiculous..