Check your account email address ×

Koso junk

@Crnr2Crnr

welp my ride got fucked lol
I know you had a thread about their temp gauges... this is my second one to do this! I know the one you were looking at was a different model. Just thought id share.

Next the sensor that also has no provision for strain relief will fuck off on me. 
76305884-FA2D-43E7-847B-79DBC5874F1D.thumb.jpeg.3ca29eae1df83b2c92eb7e906d6f8d72.jpeg

the have a spot on the case had that i assume is supposed to hold the harness in but as the case is only clipped it does not work.image.thumb.jpg.e05199de281591a8bc777d5768db4df2.jpg

easy enough of a fix. Fuck koso tho 

Edited by Cwhite138

idk, I only have one trip on mine and haven't had any trouble - but they are 'cheap' and I don't expect a lot from it.  also took precautions during mounting and installation to avoid any issues with the wiring and temp sensor wiring.    

https://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?id=1202&lang=en

On 3/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, awful knawful said:

This thread makes no sense 

Wut?

They have zero strain relief on the harness which causes the harness to pull out of the board. 

16 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Yep, Koso's lack of attention to detail and general engineering practices are crap.

It is funny in the last thread, I completely forgot about my other gauge doing this... I was slightly defending them before them but its just a shitty design. If the case halves screwed together their plastic that is meant to hold the harness in would work.. but its just clipped.  They even Fake strain relief, normally this part bonded to the wires.. its just there for show lol

image.png.8fd9efc69eca78503e47caf22d0f1cb8.png

16 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

idk, I only have one trip on mine and haven't had any trouble - but they are 'cheap' and I don't expect a lot from it.  also took precautions during mounting and installation to avoid any issues with the wiring and temp sensor wiring.    

https://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?id=1202&lang=en

At least they don't fake strain relief on the one you purchased. 

I will take some blame but in the end its a design issue. Its mounted to the foam pad on the bars and I some times twist it a little to see in the sun. 
I was really just angry I did not get to ride Saturday because if this..  

Lastly anyone with these gauges the way to tell you have a wire disconnected is it stays at 32F. use a screw driver and pry around the edge to open it up, hopefully you have solder sucker and iron.. 

10 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

They have zero strain relief on the harness which causes the harness to pull out of the board. 

It is funny in the last thread, I completely forgot about my other gauge doing this... I was slightly defending them before them but its just a shitty design. If the case halves screwed together their plastic that is meant to hold the harness in would work.. but its just clipped.  They even Fake strain relief, normally this part bonded to the wires.. its just there for show lol

image.png.8fd9efc69eca78503e47caf22d0f1cb8.png

At least they don't fake strain relief on the one you purchased. 

I will take some blame but in the end its a design issue. Its mounted to the foam pad on the bars and I some times twist it a little to see in the sun. 
I was really just angry I did not get to ride Saturday because if this..  

Lastly anyone with these gauges the way to tell you have a wire disconnected is it stays at 32F. use a screw driver and pry around the edge to open it up, hopefully you have solder sucker and iron.. 

precisely which one do you have?

I had mine running tonight and forgot to take a few shots.  The downfall of mine is the CR2032 battery and not being able to see it at night... going to have to dial in a workaround on that.

13 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

precisely which one do you have?

I had mine running tonight and forgot to take a few shots.  The downfall of mine is the CR2032 battery and not being able to see it at night... going to have to dial in a workaround on that.

Disco'd now 
https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/mini-style-thermometer/

Its battery operated and back lit when the sled is running.  I just really don't know of another MFG that offers that.

I know to add a rectifier is no big deal but it seem like just one more aftermarket thing to go wrong. 

Edited by Cwhite138

35 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Where is it made?

Office is in Canada.. I doubt the electronics are from there.. Even if there is some assembly there. 
I never even looked at the box, as I just assume its all really made if china. THere is no way you would be so cheap if it was not. 

Edited by Cwhite138

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Well there's the problem.

YUP, good luck finding electronics are not made there. 

55 minutes ago, CFM said:

Yup. Call and tell’m their schits sucks. Made for off-road vehicles and makes fake strain reliefs. What a joke.

I could not help but laugh at that... my fix is not elegant, filled it with hot glue and put electrical tape around the out side lol. Better than what they had. 

3 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

YUP, good luck finding electronics are not made there. 

I could not help but laugh at that... my fix is not elegant, filled it with hot glue and put electrical tape around the out side lol. Better than what they had. 

It took me about 5 seconds to find some gauges not made in China including made in USA gauges with lifetime warranty.  Support your own country China is our enemy.

48 minutes ago, mnstang said:

It took me about 5 seconds to find some gauges not made in China including made in USA gauges with lifetime warranty.  Support your own country China is our enemy.

Battery operated and backlit? I still stand by my previous statement if it’s electronics its not made in North America... its assembled using china parts. How she goes. 

14 minutes ago, b.lee said:

https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/super-slim-stlyle-fahrenheit-thermometer-red/

This is the one I've been running for the past few years, also have another friend running the same one. No issues so far

Would have gotten that one if it did not require 12v dc. 

10 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Disco'd now 

Its battery operated and back lit when the sled is running.  I just really don't know of another MFG that offers that.

I know to add a rectifier is no big deal but it seem like just one more aftermarket thing to go wrong. 

for what these cost, I keep my expectations pretty low.  you can get the one I got minus the inline fitting (you already have?) and give it a whirl but again, keep your expectations low.

3 hours ago, Tommcat said:

koso definitely sucks. if you need something a bit higher end, let me know and i'll get you what you need

where were you months ago?  whaddya suggest Tommy?

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

for what these cost, I keep my expectations pretty low.  you can get the one I got minus the inline fitting (you already have?) and give it a whirl but again, keep your expectations low.

where were you months ago?  whaddya suggest Tommy?

Not that they're super high end, but an AEM gauge would be a step up.

If money isn't a concern, i can look through our other options.

Edited by Tommcat

2 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Not that they're super high end, but an AEM gauge would be a step up.

If money isn't a concern, i can look through our other options.

what about water resistance?  I am just wondering if you have any issues with that. 
Is there a series you suggest?  Their X series looks really cool. 

In the past I have been more of an autometer guy.. but my Tranny temp gauge for my truck has had issues this summer booting up lately and its kind of soured me as they don't really answer my questions. All they say is send it back and they can look at it.. Which if I wasn't in Canada wouldn't be a big deal I guess

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

what about water resistance?  I am just wondering if you have any issues with that. 
Is there a series you suggest?  Their X series looks really cool. 

In the past I have been more of an autometer guy.. but my Tranny temp gauge for my truck has had issues this summer booting up lately and its kind of soured me as they don't really answer my questions. All they say is send it back and they can look at it.. Which if I wasn't in Canada wouldn't be a big deal I guess

the X series are nice gauges, they are not fully waterproof but with the weather resistant boot, they hold up pretty well. i run a lot of the fail safe boost/AF gauges on the turbos and havent had a failure yet from weather.
if you want to step up from there, a datalogger with dash would be the way to go.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/data-loggers

On 3/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, Cwhite138 said:

Disco'd now 

Here's how I ran mine (and no the pull rope isn't near the temp sensor wire).  It's not exactly what I wanted... but better than nothing which is precisely what I had.

thumbnail_IMG_4969.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4970.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4972.jpg

• Thanks 1