Check your account email address ×

D&D Sno Pro 500/720

Crnr2Crnr

5 hours ago, mnstang said:

Wait.  What?  From your earlier post about adding weight and going to a lazier spring I gathered you were trying to bring down rpm.

Are you saying you need more rpm?  Exactly what is happening?  Do you pull rpm til 80 and then it drops rpm and acceleration slows?  You need to be more detailed.  

If you are dropping rpm it's not because you're not shifting out.  I see people on internet say things like that alot.  If the clutches stop shifting for some reason but you still have power to go, your rpms would climb, not drop.  But people look at the speedo stop moving and say it's not shifting out.  Not the case.

No, taking weight out.  Primary clutching worked perfect for 20/46 gearing, not for 20/39 gearing and helix.  Pulling 8100-8250 at around 80-85 when it should be 8600-8700 at wot.  With 20/46 it was pulling 96mph at 8500-8600.  This setup isn't even getting into the secondary.  Joe, Alex and Tom agree there's too much weight and spring where it's at.  On the track stand it will rip to 118 at 8500 quickly.  On the trail... Nope.  It's my own fault for not considering it early on.  Thankfully it's just a matter of removing some magnets and/or a spring.  

As a bonus, the speedometer reluctor wheel magically came off the driven shaft, so I don't know exactly how accurate the speedo readings were.  Got a new one to put on, for $74 :lmao:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

That's a big gearing change, are you trying to make a lake runner?  That much change will affect clutching and it'll make it harder on your clutching.  Putting more strain on it and your belt.  I'd change the helix with that much gearing change.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment... 

Installed Speedwerx 175/315 spring, found mags at 2-1-0-1 rather than 3-2-1-1 (thanks previous owner) and moved mags to 1-1-1-1 just to test it.

Engagement is 5100 (way too high) and revs very very quickly.  Got 200 rpm back on a short run up top but ran out of real estate.  Ordered 155/300 Speedwerx spring and extra mags from D&D to test 2-1-1-1 and go from there.  Also recall Jeremy from Speedwerx posting the 076 belt may drop your rpm by as much as 200 up top. 

So it seems I'm in the right zip code, right town, heading down the right street looking for the correct address.  Like a teenage pizza delivery driver.  😆

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Since I'm a glutton for punishment... 

Installed Speedwerx 175/315 spring, found mags at 2-1-0-1 rather than 3-2-1-1 (thanks previous owner) and moved mags to 1-1-1-1 just to test it.

Engagement is 5100 (way too high) and revs very very quickly.  Got 200 rpm back on a short run up top but ran out of real estate.  Ordered 155/300 Speedwerx spring and extra mags from D&D to test 2-1-1-1 and go from there.  Also recall Jeremy from Speedwerx posting the 076 belt may drop your rpm by as much as 200 up top. 

So it seems I'm in the right zip code, right town, heading down the right street looking for the correct address.  Like a teenage pizza delivery driver.  😆

The 075/076 is a gripper compound than the 047

• 2 weeks later...

The game continues.

Venom 140-320

Speedwerx 155-300

Speedwerx 175-305

At the moment with limited testing the 175-305 engages too high (5100) but revs out to 8400 so we're going in the right direction with weights at 1-1-1-1 because that's all I had as the original owner had them at 2-1-0-1.  Ordered magnets from D&D and a different spring from Speedwerx.  

Tried the 155-300 next, weights 2-1-1-1 which was much better out of the hole and due to time didn't get to go run it wot to see where it goes.

Then, I fucked up the clutch by breaking off a tower bolt deep inside the tower.  My own fault.  Yes, tried extraction, no luck.  Have another primary clutch on the way, new weights because one set screw wouldn't budge even with heat, stripped the hole, broke a bit off in the hole.

It's been another expensive  week buying parts for the money pit.  :lol:

Hope we get a few more days of local ridable snow so I can dial it in from work and be done.  

IMG_20220301_142457521.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Gave TextronCat and Bikeman some $ for amusement.  Speedwerx 155-300, BMP weights 2-1-1-1 ATM.  Short test after work without any riding gear on hardpack... pulls stout to 50 and no more room to run.  Hope we get some snow or I'm going to have to run north to dial it in.  

Edit 

D&D Magnaforce 53g and BMP 54g weights.  Profile is identical and use the same mags.

IMG_20220302_161015440.jpg

IMG_20220302_131254859.jpg

IMG_20220302_131329574.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Gave TextronCat and Bikeman some $ for amusement.  Speedwerx 155-300, BMP weights 2-1-1-1 ATM.  Short test after work without any riding gear on hardpack... pulls stout to 50 and no more room to run.  Hope we get some snow or I'm going to have to run north to dial it in.  

Look at that shiny feller.  Where'd you grab a new one of them so quickly?:read:

Just now, hayward said:

Look at that shiny feller.  Where'd you grab a new one of them so quickly?:read:

Country Cat... couldn't wait for anyone else.  They had 'more than 5' in stock.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Edit 

D&D Magnaforce 53g and BMP 54g weights.  Profile is identical and use the same mags.

IMG_20220302_131254859.jpg

IMG_20220302_131329574.jpg

Finally rebuilt the clutch that's been laying around for nearly 2 years, and the weights are fubarred from the dandd 720 clutch kit.  It's like pulling teeth to try and get a set from them.  If they can't come through this coming week, you have an idea in your mind on how to get around it?  

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Finally rebuilt the clutch that's been laying around for nearly 2 years, and the weights are fubarred from the dandd 720 clutch kit.  It's like pulling teeth to try and get a set from them.  If they can't come through this coming week, you have an idea in your mind on how to get around it?  

Yep, got mine from Bikeman and a new pin kit from Cat because D&D couldn't get any last winter.  Same profile.  See pics above.

Bikeman Adjustable Snowmobile Clutch Weights

SKU: 05-GSW-5470

GSW snowmobile Clutch Weights

Arctic Cat 54-70 Grams (2004-15 Models)

https://bikemanperformance.com/bmp-adjustable-snowmobile-clutch-weights.html

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Yep, got mine from Bikeman and a new pin kit from Cat because D&D couldn't get any last winter.  Same profile.  See pics above.

Thanks again:bc:  I forgot to ask them if they had the spring, but i'm pretty sure they will.  3 times in the past 10 days they 'didn't have time to go pick them up'.  whatever that's supposed to mean.  

Any of your clutches have small pins?  This used one I got last year is off a 2010 and has small pin, where as the one off my 2011's have large pins.  Luckily the kit for the 500 came with small pin weights which was fine, but I guess I need different puller for that clutch now.

I've got different shit scattered everywhere right now.:lol:

30 minutes ago, hayward said:

Thanks again:bc:  I forgot to ask them if they had the spring, but i'm pretty sure they will.  3 times in the past 10 days they 'didn't have time to go pick them up'.  whatever that's supposed to mean.  

Any of your clutches have small pins?  This used one I got last year is off a 2010 and has small pin, where as the one off my 2011's have large pins.  Luckily the kit for the 500 came with small pin weights which was fine, but I guess I need different puller for that clutch now.

I've got different shit scattered everywhere right now.:lol:

get the Speedwerx 155-300 spring I have listed above, it's the same Speedwerx spring @Not greg b ran on his F7 Conversion.  

https://speedwerx.com/speedwerx-h5-alloy-primary-clutch-springs-arctic-cat-polaris.html

when a "clutch kit" says in the instructions to 'add step shim with the smaller part facing towards post, bigger shim part goes towards spider'

I'm assuming add means keep the old washer there and add the kit washer also?  Or remove the old washers and just add the new one?:dunno:

This old clutch had 3 in it when it came apart.  A thin shim, what looks to be the original on top of that, then two more full width thin washers on top of those, then the spider.

Da fuggggh?

3 hours ago, hayward said:

when a "clutch kit" says in the instructions to 'add step shim with the smaller part facing towards post, bigger shim part goes towards spider'

I'm assuming add means keep the old washer there and add the kit washer also?  Or remove the old washers and just add the new one?:dunno:

This old clutch had 3 in it when it came apart.  A thin shim, what looks to be the original on top of that, then two more full width thin washers on top of those, then the spider.

Da fuggggh?

I didn't shim the spider in the brand new clutch, probably won't. 

Had a conversation with someone and with the XC belt he said don't bother.   

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I didn't shim the spider in the brand new clutch, probably won't. 

Had a conversation with someone and with the XC belt he said don't bother.   

I actually found that video and watched it earlier this afternoon.  It's a good one.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 3:02 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Scratch that.  Bikeman out of them until 3-4 weeks.

Any other options?:dunno:

6 hours ago, hayward said:

Scratch that.  Bikeman out of them until 3-4 weeks.

Any other options?:dunno:

@Tommcat, have any Goldstars available?  I would have gotten them from Tommy but he was out last March as well.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Yo @hayward... I have two good/useable ones left.  PM me if @Tommcat can't hook you up.  :thumbsup:

Edit, have a spare red venom as well that I ran for one ride in the 500 due to no other choice.  Original D&D on the left.

IMG_20221219_173334135.jpg

IMG_20221219_173349100.jpg

IMG_20221219_173720403.jpg

IMG_20221219_174508079.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

What weight? I'll look tomorrow but i think the only ones i have on the shelf are 120 grams

54-70 gram + weights 

I have two good D&D's left.  The third one is fawcked, set screw wouldn't come out and I tried everything.  

Dalton's?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

54-70 gram + weights 

I have two good D&D's left.  The third one is fawcked, set screw wouldn't come out and I tried everything.  

Dalton's?

I think I can get by with the d & d's you have if you want to part with them.  For sure 1 of mine is good maybe even 2 (didnt take them out yet).  

Mechanic at d&d today told me I could get by for now with 68 g cat weights.  :dunno:

He told me the new adjustable weights are made, but the company has to polish them, test for fitment of the magnets, blah blah blah.  So I asked him if they're swamped right now making lawn mower parts or what?  This is a short season, dude!:lol:  $200+ /set you'd think they'd be hiring a night shift to make them ASAP!:lol:

30 minutes ago, hayward said:

I think I can get by with the d & d's you have if you want to part with them.  For sure 1 of mine is good maybe even 2 (didnt take them out yet).  

Mechanic at d&d today told me I could get by for now with 68 g cat weights.  :dunno:

He told me the new adjustable weights are made, but the company has to polish them, test for fitment of the magnets, blah blah blah.  So I asked him if they're swamped right now making lawn mower parts or what?  This is a short season, dude!:lol:  $200+ /set you'd think they'd be hiring a night shift to make them ASAP!:lol:

get by for how much $, to just buy the right ones later?  c'mon man 9_9

make absolutely sure you have one good one... 

shoot me a pm with contact info, I'll mic them tomorrow for pin hole ID and we'll figure out how to get them to ya' so you can get riding. 

winter is short  ;)