Check your account email address ×

Governor cancels inaugural, citing mask protests at his home

Governor cancels inaugural, citing mask protests at his home

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire's Republican governor said Wednesday that he is canceling his outdoor inauguration ceremony next month because of public safety concerns - namely, armed protesters who have been gathering outside his home in the weeks since he issued a mask order. 

"My first responsibility is ensuring the safety of my family and our citizens" Gov. Chris Sununu said in a news release. "For weeks, armed protesters have increasingly become more aggressive, targeting my family, protesting outside my private residence, and trespassing on my property - an outdoor public ceremony simply brings too much risk. We do not make this decision lightly but it is the right thing to do." 

In consultation with Attorney General Gordon MacDonald, Sununu said, he and Senate President Chuck Morse, acting House Speaker Sherm Packard and the Executive Council will be sworn in during a small ceremony Jan. 7. It will be attended by leaders of both houses of the Legislature and will be virtually attended by all other members. Sununu will deliver his inaugural address at 7 p.m. that day. 

Protesters started gathering outside Sununu's home in Newfields on Nov. 22 over his order, which had taken effect two days earlier, requiring masks to be worn in public spaces, indoors or outside, when social distancing isn't possible because of the coronavirus pandemic. On Monday, local police issued summonses to nine people and arrested one of them under a new anti-picketing ordinance passed by the Newfields selectboard, on which Sununu's brother sits. 

Read more:  https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20201230/news/312309920/ 
(Arlington Heights Daily Herald)

Well first off the bridges house is not his privet property the people protesting at it own the fucking thing . And if he stiped his bullshit they would go back to work creating weath to keep paying for his free house and full staff who serve him there 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
43 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Good from the stand point that all of this inauguration bullshit is a waste of money anyway. Go sit behind your desk and start doing your job.

Especially for an incumbant. You already had an inaguration. 

• Like 1

The irony here is he’s a Republican. Also the hes the governor who changed the gun laws so there aren’t any in NH. Open carry is legal without any permit.

Using your guns to protect yourself is one thing but using them to intimidate someone shouldn’t be.

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

The irony here is he’s a Republican. Also the hes the governor who changed the gun laws so there aren’t any in NH. Open carry is legal without any permit.

Using your guns to protect yourself is one thing but using them to intimidate someone shouldn’t be.

As ut should be . He is a pussy for caving to the iratinal covid fear . He should step down for that alone . And walz in MN should be dragged out of our house and hun in the street

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

So open carrying is intimidating to you. Maybe eat more green beans to put some hair on your chest

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Well first off the bridges house is not his privet property the people protesting at it own the fucking thing . And if he stiped his bullshit they would go back to work creating weath to keep paying for his free house and full staff who serve him there 

the governors house is his personal residence.   People who fuck with politicians wife and kids should be arrested.  

This is a state where we pay our state reps a sub $1000 stipend not where politics is a career.  Even the govs salary is only $125k

Edited by Angry ginger

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the governors house is his personal residence.   People who fuck with politicians wife and kids should be arrested.  

This is a state where we pay our state reps a sub $1000 stipend not where politics is a career.  Even the govs salary is only $125k

isnt it $100 plus gas money?

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

isnt it $100 plus gas money?

i just looked it up,  yup $100.  I knew it was under a grand.  there are so few paid politicians in this state compared to many that they just don't get it.  Sununu lives down the street from a fiend of mine.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i just looked it up,  yup $100.  I knew it was under a grand.  there are so few paid politicians in this state compared to many that they just don't get it.  Sununu lives down the street from a fiend of mine.  

Well we couldn't afford to pay them. 3rd largest legislative body in the world. Only beat by US congress and British parliment.

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

It is a welfare house owned by the people no diff than county owned section 8 the way i see it . Not his privet property 

And no they should not fuck with the kids but if his wife is a face of his administration ie goes out giving speeches and doing media stunts she is fair game imho . If she keeps her or his pie hole shut like the spouse of a elected official should then yes they should not be fucked with 

Edited by Ez ryder

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

It is a welfare house owned by the people no diff than county owned section 8 the way i see it . Not his privet property 

And no they should not fuck with the kids but if his wife is a face of his administration ie goes out giving speeches and doing media stunts she is fair game imho . If she keeps her or his pie hole shut like the spouse of a elected official should then yes they should not be fucked with 

NH gov dosnt live in a state owned gov mansion. Same house he lived in before elected and will live in when out of office.

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Jesus fuckin lighten up and think you moron. His family is threatened by his own party and you poo poo it.

44 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

As ut should be . He is a pussy for caving to the iratinal covid fear . He should step down for that alone . And walz in MN should be dragged out of our house and hun in the street

What a fuckin idiot.

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

What a fuckin idiot.

So on your eyes a p.o.s. elected official makes a choice to put 1000s of business out of business .now  people should just buck up and keep there mouth shut because what the elected official says should be the gold standard . It is in his opinion for the greater good after  all .

Yeah and I am the idiot. Go kill your self your family deserves better 

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Jesus fuckin lighten up and think you moron. His family is threatened by his own party and you poo poo it.

He should be he is not only threatening but effective putting those peoples business out of business for good . But yeah there should be zero repercussions for his fear based action 

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

So on your eyes a p.o.s. elected official makes a choice to put 1000s of business out of business .now  people should just buck up and keep there mouth shut because what the elected official says should be the gold standard . It is in his opinion for the greater good after  all .

Yeah and I am the idiot. Go kill your self your family deserves better 

If elected officials are so bad in your eyes - relocate to where there are no elected officials. :thumbsup: