Check your account email address ×

Electrical supply problems.

On Monday the 200 amp main breaker overheated and went poof. It was a basic Square D breaker. A trip to Lowe’s and menards showed nothing in stock. I had to run to an electrical supply store 30 miles away to find it. Even at that I had to purchase an entire box just for the breaker. WTF 

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

Riveting!

What's next the Walmart will run out of your favorite shade of blush? 

Seems strange that a common item would be this tough to find. More of the trump economy. Shortages. 

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

On Monday the 200 amp main breaker overheated and went poof. It was a basic Square D breaker. A trip to Lowe’s and menards showed nothing in stock. I had to run to an electrical supply store 30 miles away to find it. Even at that I had to purchase an entire box just for the breaker. WTF 

Surprised the supply house didn’t have the breaker.

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I sell Square D and they are really fucked up. We've been out of some breakers for 2 months.

27 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Seems strange that a common item would be this tough to find. More of the trump economy. Shortages. 

They ended up closing a plant in Mexico because of corona and now that they are back up and running they have problems getting components and labor issues.

29 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Surprised the supply house didn’t have the breaker.

I just checked my stock on a 100a Homeline and QO main breaker. We have 1, normally stock 10 of each. Lead time is 27 days usually next day ship.

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

How old is the original panel ? Did the breaker just wear out ? What would have caused it to overheat ?

Panel is dated 2002. Sometime mains go bad. It started the week before with power surges. I thought is was a line voltage issue, but then I realized it only effected the garage and upstairs. When I opened the panel I could feel warmth. The main was blistering hot. Shot it with a laser temp gun and it was over 200 degrees. When I shut it off the switch failed and wouldn’t reset to the “on” position.  It jammed into the center. I don’t think it happens a lot where they go bad, but it’s something to consider if you’re getting some funky voltage fluctuations in the house. 

Edited by spin_dry

36 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

They ended up closing a plant in Mexico because of corona and now that they are back up and running they have problems getting components and labor issues.

34 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

I just checked my stock on a 100a Homeline and QO main breaker. We have 1, normally stock 10 of each. Lead time is 27 days usually next day ship.

That makes sense about the Mexico plant. The box I got was his last in stock and he wouldn’t have another for 2 weeks. At least it was cheap. I only paid $105 for everything. I felt kinda bad throwing away the box. 

11 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Frigin amazing the rural and cottage country buying and building that's going on . You're damn near fucked now to get an electrician in cottage country this year.

I had the power company come out to check line voltage. They have only three guys working the entire area. The rest are down in Iowa cleaning up after the storms. I guess it was pretty bad. 

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I had the power company come out to check line voltage. They have only three guys working the entire area. The rest are down in Iowa cleaning up after the storms. I guess it was pretty bad. 

That looks nasty down there. 

I swear I could rent my dock out to campers there's so many people on the lakes. Boats n Seadoo's are selling for double, cottages are a bidding war. Who'd a thunk

Running out of Pressure treated lumber to there's so much building happening, nothing to do with supply restriction, just crazy demand

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

How the fuck is the covid pandemic and the shit show it has brought Trump's fault?

The Democrats couldn't have done any better. 

Everything is fucked

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

That looks nasty down there. 

I swear I could rent my dock out to campers there's so many people on the lakes. Boats n Seadoo's are selling for double, cottages are a bidding war. Who'd a thunk

Running out of Pressure treated lumber to there's so much building happening, nothing to do with supply restriction, just crazy demand

Boats and Sea Doo's for sure. Never seen so many new ones on my lake in 15 yrs. Huge cottage type trailers (General Coach) are selling out in our park. One beside where my buddy was recently sold for $188 thousand, and you don't even own the land. The deck they are currently getting built is like going to be $20g's or more. Crazy the money that is being spent.

A guy I know who delivers boats said people were in the shop everyday asking/inquiring about used and being placed on a list if anything becomes available. If I was in the market to sell mine, I was told I could likely get what I paid for mine, or close to it, and it was purchased back in 2006. Just when I thought people would be sitting tight on their cash, the opposite happened. O.o

Edited by irv

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, washedupmxer said:

Riveting!

What's next the Walmart will run out of your favorite shade of blush? 

Well it's not as exciting as a picture of your nasty feet on a bathroom scale but it's something. 😂

19 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well it's not as exciting as a picture of your nasty feet on a bathroom scale but it's something. 😂

Who the fuck does that? I did find an old photo of wolfie on stage. @DriftBusta

DCE8EF90-DD01-4743-903C-2C49D080F5B9.jpeg

Edited by spin_dry
  • Haha 3