Check your account email address ×

Canadian PM Trudeau Praises Dictator Castro as ‘Remarkable Leader’

jtssrx

25 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Don't travel abroad often but its been a decade since going to Cuba, but my family goes often almost yearly.  Nice the daughters can go anywhere in the country and be safe, that is good for me.  They also travel to other shit holes but prefer Cuba, Armed guards on the beaches and resorts was a turn off.   

But ya much better and more expensive places to visit I agree, I don't that happening anytime soon for me

I find spending 1000's for a week is a complete waste of money but thats just me.

Since we got the cottage, I haven't really cared to go down south, lots of fun stuff at home.  Wife was nagging this past year and would not let it go, so we went to the Bahamas in March.  Get back, "I don't think I want to go anywhere for a while, really kind of boring".:lol:10K down the drain.

Rented this to drive around though.

IMG_0972.JPG

Edited by ArcticCrusher

11 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship?  Last I knew, it was a monarchy.  Not to mention it's constitution is based on the Qur'an.  Shari'a dictates many of the terms of the human rights violations you are talking about, unlike Castro, who came up with all of the violations on his own.  Abdullah has been making incremental changes towards greater freedoms, which is what Harper was referring to.  It has to be done that way when the prevailing religion of the land is against it.  

Sorry if that doesn't fit the Liberal sheep narrative.  

Ohhh, right.  An oppressive unelected monarchy is sooooo much better than a dictatorship that gained power through a revolution, and it's okay for a monarchy to brutally oppress it's people as long as it's in the name of some religion.  Thanks for showing me the error in my logic.

:lol:

21 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Since we got the cottage, I haven't really cared to go down south, lots of fun stuff at home.  Wife was nagging this past year and would not let it go, so we went to the Bahamas in March.  Get back, "I don't think I want to go anywhere for a while, really kind of boring".:lol:10K down the drain.

IMG_0972.JPG

sweet ride

25 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

IMG_0972.JPG

Freeport? Nassau? I prefer Nassau myself.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Fail you really have a comprehension problem don't you. Keep on proving your stupidity as usual. I didn't ever say horrible time or lousy beaches. You hallucinate a lot about what you think people say. :dunno:  Pay attention, the resort was nice, the food was plain crap and as soon as you left the resort the places the locals lived were shit holes. What part of that can't you understand. And yes the big one for those going there is IT IS CHEAP... it's one of the first things you hear from people who go there.

I wonder how you're going to try and twist what I said in this one.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That is why I went to the Dominican at the request of other friends.  Was used to places like Cancun, Acapulco,  Fort Lauderdale, etc but they were far to expensive for the cheapo's.  Guess what I would never go back as it was a complete dump and food sucked as well. 

Nice thing about Cuba being cheap is that you can pay for the 5 star resorts and upgrades. The buffets are usually bland but the specialty restaurants were good. A 5 star in Mexica has better food than 5 star in Cuba but the beaches were really nice and the people in Cuba were nicer. The locals along with the staff. I'll probably bike tour next time now that I've seen how friendly the locals are.

51 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Ohhh, right.  An oppressive unelected monarchy is sooooo much better than a dictatorship that gained power through a revolution, and it's okay for a monarchy to brutally oppress it's people as long as it's in the name of some religion.  Thanks for showing me the error in my logic.

:lol:

An oppressive regime that helped the US screw over the Soviets verse an oppressive regime that helped the Soviets screw over the US.

I'm not sure how true this is but evidently Castro was on board to fight Apartheid in Africa while the Americans were supporting South Africa. That's remarkable. But then again I'm not sure how many on this site are/were against apartheid.  

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nassau.  That pic was in front of the pirate caves.  The roundabouts made the driving very efficient.

I just saw what you said about dominican rep....i couldnt agree more.

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

We went to St. Lucia at the suggestion of others we were traveling with. We won't go back. Very poor island, security guards patrol the resort to keep the locals out and they tell you to not leave the property after mid afternoon for your own safety. The resort was okay, the food was crap, the beach was nice and it was on the less expensive side.

One of my favourite places is Antigua. Excellent beaches, excellent resorts, excellent food, not impoverished and no problem renting a car and touring the island by yourself.

got married in St Lucia no desire to ever go back.  

21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

got married in St Lucia no desire to ever go back.  

There was a store up the road from the resort that we were told was safe to go to during the day. I tired of the resort quick and on the second day walked up the road to get a Coke. The guy was nice so I went back once a day just to say hi and get another Coke. One day walking up there's an almost new mini van rolled over in the ditch. Next day it had been stripped bare overnight.

When you were there did they still have that airline plane that had run off the end of the runway and been stripped before they could make arrangements to get some equipment capable of pulling it back onto the runway? Apparently it had been there for years already when we were there.

37 minutes ago, 02sled said:

There was a store up the road from the resort that we were told was safe to go to during the day. I tired of the resort quick and on the second day walked up the road to get a Coke. The guy was nice so I went back once a day just to say hi and get another Coke. One day walking up there's an almost new mini van rolled over in the ditch. Next day it had been stripped bare overnight.

When you were there did they still have that airline plane that had run off the end of the runway and been stripped before they could make arrangements to get some equipment capable of pulling it back onto the runway? Apparently it had been there for years already when we were there.

We were there once.  The resort and their offered excursions were very good.  The only time we ventured out on our own was to take a cab to the mall area where the cruise ships came in.  It was fine, other than the ridiculous price of everything.  

Anything that had to do with the locals was dirt poor for sure.

Ive been to cuba, mexico and DR and I liked Mexico (playa) and Punta Cana (dr) had a great time and met a snowmobiler down there who lives 45 minutes from me and knows my dad :lol: 

small world for sure.  

1 hour ago, sledderj said:

We were there once.  The resort and their offered excursions were very good.  The only time we ventured out on our own was to take a cab to the mall area where the cruise ships came in.  It was fine, other than the ridiculous price of everything.  

Anything that had to do with the locals was dirt poor for sure.

We took one of the Jolly Roger boat cruises and if you threw a coin into the water the local kids would dive to the bottom to pick up a nickel. I remember one kid was wearing multiple pairs of shorts. With enough of them the holes were eventually all covered. We gave one of the security guards at the resort a Frisbee for his kids. It was like we had given him something of great value.