Check your account email address ×

Texas is fucked

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Imagine people desiring a better quality of life. What a concept. 

Well it doesn't come at no cost.   Makes pretty good sense the more advanced procedures we do the higher the overall HC costs.

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well it doesn't come at no cost.   Makes pretty good sense the more advanced procedures we do the higher the overall HC costs.

Cheaper than paying long term disability. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Cheaper than paying long term disability. 

So be it.   My point being we are treating much more things with expensive surgeries and treatments every year.   Thats the reason total and per capita hc costs keep going up and up.

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So be it.   My point being we are treating much more things with expensive surgeries and treatments every year.   Thats the reason total and per capita hc costs keep going up and up.

Total cost of this surgery is $25k. I consider that a pretty good deal. It keeps me in the game longer buying products and contributing back to society. Other that having a busted leg set as a teen, I’ve never had surgery. I’ve been a very economy minded user of health care throughout my life.  I think most people are. I’m going in at 6am and hope to be home the same day. Hip replacements used to be 3-6 days hospitalized. So at least in this case, the cost has come way down. 

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Ya know, I'll have to ask her.

The newer anterior approaches are much less invasive. Recovery time is quicker. It does require a more skilled surgeon. My guy has performed over 3000. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

The newer anterior approaches are much less invasive. Recovery time is quicker. It does require a more skilled surgeon. My guy has performed over 3000. 

I just e-mailed her, have to wait for a response back.

Might be the same guy, she said he had done 1000's, she's near Oconomowoc but not sure where she had it done.

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Total cost of this surgery is $25k. I consider that a pretty good deal. It keeps me in the game longer buying products and contributing back to society. Other that having a busted leg set as a teen, I’ve never had surgery. I’ve been a very economy minded user of health care throughout my life.  I think most people are. I’m going in at 6am and hope to be home the same day. Hip replacements used to be 3-6 days hospitalized. So at least in this case, the cost has come way down. 

I'm in total agreement with what you said and not saying people shouldn't be treated for things that are needed....doesn't change my point in why the costs have skyrocketed.   Its not what insurance executives are paid...its the types and volume of care now provided driving costs.

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

She just wrote back, her's was Lateral.

19 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Not sure how old you are, but in the not too distant future you’ll see stem cell procedures lead the way for joint restoration. Stem cell rather than artificial parts. Although the artificial wear surfaces are pretty good, 20-25 years with heavy use. The new stuff might be pushing 30+ years. Joint replacement is a cash cow for orthopedic surgeons. I can’t help but wonder if that’s part of the bottleneck with development of stem cell restoration approaches. 

Any time I hear stem cells I go straight to South Park and the stolen Fetuses.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

She just wrote back, her's was Lateral.

Those are becoming less frequent. Every patient seems to be different. My active lifestyle made me a good fit for the anterior approach. Women tend to have a higher failure rate. Wear rates used to be 1mm per year. Current wear rates average .01mm per year.

Edited by spin_dry

3 hours ago, Dieselgeek said:

I've had 2.5 million with medical insurance costs in 4 years... And I still live in tremendous pain and declining! 

Sorry to hear that Diesel.  Best of luck to you.

4 hours ago, Dieselgeek said:

I've had 2.5 million with medical insurance costs in 4 years... And I still live in tremendous pain and declining! 

That’s not good. It’s a tough place to be.