Check your account email address ×

RV Sports - TRF - 1963-2020

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

July 1st, 2020, Thief River Falls will have a Polaris dealer and no Arctic Cat dealer in town.  

RV Sports is shutting their doors.

Why doesn't the Polaris dealer just add Cat?

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

That's insane.

I wouldn't be surprised if this year does Cat in for good...and then Yamaha would mail it in as well...

This will be the first year in a while that we won't be buying a new sled or new carry-over.  

2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Why doesn't the Polaris dealer just add Cat?

Not sure.  The Polaris dealer is across the road from the race shop and Special Services.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

This will be the first year in a while that we won't be buying a new sled or new carry-over.  

Not sure.  The Polaris dealer is across the road from the race shop and Special Services.  

I've had a theory for several years that brp has been trying to run some of the other companies out of business. I think that because of the amount of r&d spending they do relative to the size of the market...Their market share isn't that much larger than polaris' but have way more new innovations coming out...

Just a theory..

15 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I've had a theory for several years that brp has been trying to run some of the other companies out of business. I think that because of the amount of r&d spending they do relative to the size of the market...Their market share isn't that much larger than polaris' but have way more new innovations coming out...

Just a theory..

Is that what cat was doing when they sued brp for patent infringement on watercraft?

We are in a recession. Sled sales will be in the dumpster this year like 07-09. If you want new wait till next year and the year after for 30-40% off.

Sled tech changes are so subtle 90% of sledders don’t notice the difference year to year anymore and spending north of 15K for something you might use for 8 weeks is not on the top of anyone’s list anymore. It’s why old sled ride ins are so popular these days. You spend 1 or 2 k for a decent  resto 70’s sled or 500 bucks and do it yourself and ride a few miles a weekend. Cheap hobby that doesn’t break the bank.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
25 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

We are in a recession. Sled sales will be in the dumpster this year like 07-09. If you want new wait till next year and the year after for 30-40% off.

Sled tech changes are so subtle 90% of sledders don’t notice the difference year to year anymore and spending north of 15K for something you might use for 8 weeks is not on the top of anyone’s list anymore. It’s why old sled ride ins are so popular these days. You spend 1 or 2 k for a decent  resto 70’s sled or 500 bucks and do it yourself and ride a few miles a weekend. Cheap hobby that doesn’t break the bank.

They are not that popular in the midwest/west. 

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

While you are right on sled sales in the dumpster. Every dealer in the north east is about out of inventory of side by sides, atv's, watercraft. Marinas can't keep new boats in stock. The toys are flying out the door. Local car dealers are breaking sales records. Contractors are booked out for months, some are a year or more. We are far from a recession. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Why purchase a 70's relic, you can buy alot of early to mid 2000's sleds for 1 - 2k. 

54 minutes ago, JEFF said:

While you are right on sled sales in the dumpster. Every dealer in the north east is about out of inventory of side by sides, atv's, watercraft. Marinas can't keep new boats in stock. The toys are flying out the door. Local car dealers are breaking sales records. Contractors are booked out for months, some are a year or more. We are far from a recession. 

That's just the narrative being pushed by the sites he visits.  Recreational vehicles used and new are flying off the shelves.  Bikes, Kayaks, and other forms of outdoor rec are also having great sales.

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

That's just the narrative being pushed by the sites he visits.  Recreational vehicles used and new are flying off the shelves.  Bikes, Kayaks, and other forms of outdoor rec are also having great sales.

Yup we are in a recession but you don’t get it. You will in a few months when reality hits and the 600 a week Uncle Sam gifts stop. The banks and landlords that gave loose payment options will now demand payments. The eviction and foreclosure notices will go out. In less than a year all those trinkets flying off the shelves now basically have zero market value. The manus sitting on major inventories are in worse shape from boats to 4 wheeler. History always repeats itself it’s just that some here never learn from history even though they actually lived through it just12 years ago.

My narrative is the history book. Pay attention.

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yup we are in a recession but you don’t get it. You will in a few months when reality hits and the 600 a week Uncle Sam gifts stop. The banks and landlords that gave loose payment options will now demand payments. The eviction and foreclosure notices will go out. In less than a year all those trinkets flying off the shelves now basically have zero market value. The manus sitting on major inventories are in worse shape from boats to 4 wheeler. History always repeats itself it’s just that some here never learn from history even though they actually lived through it just12 years ago.

You’re so out of touch. Many have very slim inventories because the factories were shut down. The last dealer I talked to had over 100 snow checks. And this is not a huge dealer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

This is what you WANT to happen, not what is actually happening.   For the last 4 years it's been the same predictions, hoping it would happen, all so that trump and others will look bad.    You don't realize it, but voters are noticing the lies, the fraud and the deception.

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

Why purchase a 70's relic, you can buy alot of early to mid 2000's sleds for 1 - 2k. 

No one really rides the old, old shit,  it's for showing your buddies and an excuse to go to the garage.  Can buy an XP 600 etec with 2-3k miles on it for 3-4k and have all most riders need.   Same with an early procross and rush sleds.  

• Like 1

In 1992 a Vmax 4 750 was the highest price sled at an MSRP of $8500.00.   In today's dollars that's $15,900.   Not too far off today's highest price sled and today's sleds have 5x's the tech in them.   In 1995 and 580 xlt MSRP was $5600.   Today that's just shy of $10K.   Again you get a much better sled today for $10K.

Sledding has been killed by old mother nature more than anything else.  Yes price of sleds have played a role but today's sleds offer so much more.   As people got out of sledding due to lack of snow/cost the next generation lost the chance to learn to love the sport and it has snowballed.

I've had over a dozen friends who absolutely loved sledding and between kids and lack of snow is the main reason I've heard for them getting out of the sport.  

Many wives today are not as accepting of hubby running off on sled trips without them 3-5x's a year. 

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Legend said:

There is a shit ton of vintage rides in WI. All over the state.

But its not what has caused a downward trend in modern sled sales.   That was my point.   Generally speaking the participants are men 60+ who still ride modern sleds.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

But its not what has caused a downward trend in modern sled sales.   That was my point. 

Ok. 

I think the thing keeping sled sales alive is mtn sleds. Everybody wants one. Not sure why around here, they suck bad on trails. But its the in thing now I guess.

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ok. 

I think the thing keeping sled sales alive is mtn sleds. Everybody wants one. Not sure why around here, they suck bad on trails. But its the in thing now I guess.

Currently about 30% of sled sales.   Crossovers just behind at 27% and trail sleds at 21%.

Just now, Highmark said:

Currently about 30% of sled sales.   Crossovers just behind at 27% and trail sleds at 21%.

Yep. 

I guess I lump anything longer than a 144 into the mtn sled category. I suppose there are some crossovers in what I call mtn sleds.

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

This is what you WANT to happen, not what is actually happening.   For the last 4 years it's been the same predictions, hoping it would happen, all so that trump and others will look bad.    You don't realize it, but voters are noticing the lies, the fraud and the deception.

You do live in a cave. Trump took over a healthy steadily growing economy. His failures have led to taxpayers pumping trillions into the only crutch he has....the stock market. It’s kept it fake as he is. I have lived through the up and down economy’s of 5 decades. It’s coming soon. Trump has made his life bad all by himself. He was a loser decades ago and just may take our country down. November 3rd can’t come soon enough.