Check your account email address ×

RIP Evinrude Outboards

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

XCR would know whats most commonly used in his area.   Chill out man he's not trying to prove you wrong on the general statement just a local observation.   It wouldn't be surprising at all mercs being popular in the state they are built.

That is true, we only boat in a 5 county area here. 

I know Yami's are popular in Coastal areas and Mercs are most popular in the Midwest and Inland areas..

Edited by XCR1250

58 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I would think if they were as popular as you say we would see more..dunno.

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

XCR would know whats most commonly used in his area.   Chill out man he's not trying to prove you wrong on the general statement just a local observation.   It wouldn't be surprising at all mercs being popular in the state they are built.

Strawman fail-I never said he didn't know what's common in his area and the thread is not even about Mercury.

Yes he is arguing my general statement, which is fine but I'm not arguing back, people can believe whatever they what.

This thread is about a company stopping production of outboard motors. I thought the fact that 1 single company having 40% of the market share might be relevant to that.

I had no idea so many people would get triggered. 

Whatever.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Strawman fail-I never said he didn't know what's common in his area and the thread is not even about Mercury.

Yes he is arguing my general statement, which is fine but I'm not arguing back, people can believe whatever they what.

This thread is about a company stopping production of outboard motors. I thought the fact that 1 single company having 40% of the market share might be relevant to that.

Whatever.

Dude nobody was triggered except you.

He simply stated around him were a lot of Merc's and you fire back "is this really a hill you want to die on."   :lol:   

Edited by Highmark

47 minutes ago, jammin said:

680# and 50K....  Plus they are Mercury  :)     @Matt    (and dont let 450 fool ya.... prob closer to 500   :ylsuper:  )

Lead the Charge with the All New 450R Outboard | Mercury Racing

$54-$64 pending options.   Very sweet motor.  50% more cost than the Merc 400. 

29 minutes ago, Highmark said:

$54-$64 pending options.   Very sweet motor.  50% more cost than the Merc 400. 

I get a discount.... so, 50K lol.   Racing division commands more cash. 

Heard from a solid source theres some new stuff in the pipe....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I will miss the old cement mixers. If you had a pontoon boat for just putt putting around the pond a 50 or 60 etec is hard to beat. Good on gas, quiet and no maintenance to speak of. 

Our neighbors 2 year old 60 e-tec on his toon is loud as hell imo. 

2 minutes ago, jammin said:

Our neighbors 2 year old 60 e-tec on his toon is loud as hell imo. 

Buddy has a 425 Yammie on his poontoon and its amazingly quiet.  

1 hour ago, jammin said:

680# and 50K....  Plus they are Mercury  :)     @Matt    (and dont let 450 fool ya.... prob closer to 500   :ylsuper:  )

Lead the Charge with the All New 450R Outboard | Mercury Racing

Don't worry man. I'm a lifelong Merc fanboi going back to years 3-13 of my life when we lived in Fond du Lac and I got to hang out a time or two at Keikhafer. 

I'm bummed to see the big two stroke dead. That's the sound and smell of my youth. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Don't worry man. I'm a lifelong Merc fanboi going back to years 3-13 of my life when we lived in Fond du Lac and I got to hang out a time or two at Keikhafer. 

I'm bummed to see the big two stroke dead. That's the sound and smell of my youth. 

Very similar sir. Had my grandfather's 1961 Merc 500. Like a dummy I sold it. Moved on to a 72 20 horse then a 9.8 and 18 XD and a 150 xr6. In my veins for sure. My neighbors dad worked with Carl when Merc was just starting up. She tells a great story . Have you read the book The Legend of Mercury?  Very good read.  

images.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that BRP is pulling the plug on Evinrude.  This is not good for anybody. 

In Alaska the Yamaha outboards are the most popular. Nothing else is even close. 

In Havasu its all Merc. You don't really see anything but Merc outboards except a few Yamahas on some pontoon boats. 

7 hours ago, Phoenix said:

According to Yamaha, and other sources they have about a 40% share of the outboard motor market. Yamaha claims they are #1 in outboard motors (as of 2016).

40% would be considered a huge share for one company I would think...

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/ir/integrated-report/annual2016/performance.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/605040/yamaha-outboard-motors-worldwide-unit-sales/

I almost never see a yammi around my house or the cabin . I would think in the land of 10k lakes they would have a better dealer network .

I do have a bud with a older yammi io set up . to say he has a hard time finding parts is a understatement 

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Whatever.

don't see any triggering just a observation . I see the same thing . but again no dealer network for some reason.  strange for a Corp who clames 40% share in a state MN with a boat for every 6 residents don't you think? if not misraken i think we MN have the most regesterd boats in the countety . 

I have a merc but would deff buy a yammi if I needed a new motor and my dealer sold them but again none by my home or cabin do 

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I will miss the old cement mixers. If you had a pontoon boat for just putt putting around the pond a 50 or 60 etec is hard to beat. Good on gas, quiet and no maintenance to speak of. 

lol my pontoon we sold last yr still had the  original 60 force crazy thing is in over 25 yrs zero issues 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

You ever go to the Keikhafer Museum there? In Peebles.

Edited by XCR1250

15 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

for io for a regular family  boat I would take a omc over merc all day 

Not me. No way would I choose an OMC sterndrive over a Merc. A Merc is way more popular with a way bigger dealer network. And way easier to get parts for. A Merc IO has to be 10 times more common than an OMC. I see more Volvo sterndrives than OMC. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Not me. No way would I choose an OMC sterndrive over a Merc. A Merc is way more popular with a way bigger dealer network. And way easier to get parts for. A Merc IO has to be 10 times more common than an OMC. I see more Volvo sterndrives than OMC. 

Yup omc the famous leaky boot.  Id never touch one.