Check your account email address ×

Sweden. Hopefully the start of a trend

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Sweden did somewhat of a lock down...  they just did it smartly.  Closed off elderly homes, shut down gatherings over 50, but let those that have little to no chance of dieing continue on normally.

if the US was serious about this they would have shutdown mass transit it hard hit areas such as NYC

I don't disagree with shutting down mass transit.  The issue then becomes how do you get healthcare and other essential employees to work?

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'm just trying to tone it down a bit. I did say 'if'. 

I'm talking about heralding the Sweden model as some huge success story, in general. When directly compared with nations that share the same attributes, population makeup and density, etc it is anything but. 

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I don't disagree with shutting down mass transit.  The issue then becomes how do you get healthcare and other essential employees to work?

Have them walk or ride a bike.  If they are too sick call an ambulance.

Edited by BOHICA

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Continue to use transit for such but then the issue of essential comes into play and what is actually essential. 

Maybe a card system to prove your occupation after your employer verified your status.  There was talk for those living in the next province but working in health care here that they would get a windshield card to display but the check spots didn't last long so the windshield displays didnt make it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

When you ask folks why they are wearing a mask many times they answer "I don't want to get sick"

don't know

Edited by Big Crappie

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'm talking about heralding the Sweden model as some huge success story, in general. When directly compared with nations that share the same attributes, population makeup and density, etc it is anything but. 

I agree. 

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Have them walk or ride a bike.  If they are too sick call an ambulance.

Seriously? That's your answer? Not everyone that works in the city lives in the city. 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
25 minutes ago, ckf said:

I agree. 

Seriously? That's your answer? Not everyone that works in the city lives in the city. 

It best to leave it mass transit open for the good of society.....  

NYC has the worst covid 19 statistics in the world.  Most deaths per million people, most cases per million people, and not by a little...  by a huge amount.  They are diluted figures as well cause of the millions of New Yorkers that have nothing to die with the city.  It was the only place in this country where they dug pits to stack wooden boxes of dead bodies cause they didn’t have room to keep them.  NYC and NY fucked up the response horribly...  they need to rethink how they due shit and redesign there infrastructure over time there and look at other large cities to see how they handled it.

tough decisions for NYC...  let thousands upon thousands die by leave mass transit open or shut down mass transit and let thousands upon thousands live.  

Edited by BOHICA

7 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

tough decisions for NYC...  let thousands upon thousands die or leave mass transit open for essential workers.  

One would like to think that they looked carefully at the options and made the best decision that they could at the time.  Who knows what the numbers would have been if doctors,  nurses, emt , fire, police and other essential workers in NY couldn't get to work.  :dunno:

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, ckf said:

One would like to think that they looked carefully at the options and made the best decision that they could at the time.  Who knows what the numbers would have been if doctors,  nurses, emt , fire, police and other essential workers in NY couldn't get to work.  :dunno:

NY state has an infection rate of like 6 times the rate of Sweden....  NYC completely bombed this response and actions taken towards this virus when compared to the rest of the globe.  

anybody that defends N.Y. response but calls into question Sweden’s response is kind of out there...

Edited by BOHICA
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

People also don’t realize the parking problems in some of these big cities. You would go broke parking. It’s nothing for me to swipe the company credit card for $20/$40 some days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

NY state has an infection rate of like 6 times the rate of Sweden....  NYC completely bombed this response and actions taken towards this virus when compared to the rest of the globe.  

anybody that defends N.Y. response but calls into question Sweden’s response is kind of out there...

That's like comparing apples and oranges.  Of course a city with 8 million people packed in tight will have more cases than a COUNTRY with 10 million people. Sweadens largest city only has 1.5 million. 

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

People also don’t realize the parking problems in some of these big cities. You would go broke parking. It’s nothing for me to swipe the company credit card for $20/$40 some days.

A couple D9’s would make room in Central Park for any auto parking needed for essential employees in a day or 2

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's like comparing apples and oranges.  Of course a city with 8 million people packed in tight will have more cases than a COUNTRY with 10 million people. Sweadens largest city only has 1.5 million. 

There are countries out there with Cities that rival NYC in population and density.  They didn’t bomb it as bad as NYC as of yet.  LA comes to mind in the US.  

Just now, BOHICA said:

A couple D9’s would make room in Central Park for any auto parking needed for essential employees in a day or 2

That's assuming that they even have cars. Most probably rely on public transit.  My cousin lives just outside of Philadelphia and relieson public transit.  When she comes to NH to visit she rents a car.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BOHICA said:

There are countries out there with Cities that rival NYC in population and density.  They didn’t bomb it as bad as NYC as of yet.  LA comes to mind in the US.  

Your post that I replied to was comparing NY to Sweden,  not NY vs other cities. 

thats the norm for most surrounding cities. rent a car the few times you need one rather that carrying the expense of a vehicle.  

NYC needed to be quarantined,  not sure too many other places really needed full lock down .  Look at FL,  their death numbers are low which is unusual given the population of old people but the old people stayed to themselves and the spreads low.  More states in that boat than in NYC's.  

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats the norm for most surrounding cities. rent a car the few times you need one rather that carrying the expense of a vehicle.  

NYC needed to be quarantined,  not sure too many other places really needed full lock down .  Look at FL,  their death numbers are low which is unusual given the population of old people but the old people stayed to themselves and the spreads low.  More states in that boat than in NYC's.  

6 of my friends live in Florida, 2 are snowbirds, they claim it's low there because the temps. are in the upper 80's and 90's.

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Isn't there talk of a possibility of a few different strains in the US? I saw something about CA C-19 being a slightly different strain than the one that hit NY and Boston. That could explain why it has different outcomes in different locations.

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's assuming that they even have cars. Most probably rely on public transit.  My cousin lives just outside of Philadelphia and relieson public transit.  When she comes to NH to visit she rents a car.

Some do some dont of course.   Right at this moment I could rent a car from Enterprise in Manhattan for $17.72 a day.

Give the options those that do a place to park that are essential workers instead of forcing them to mass transit during these times.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Sweden did somewhat of a lock down...  they just did it smartly.  Closed off elderly homes, shut down gatherings over 50, but let those that have little to no chance of dieing continue on normally.

if the US was serious about this they would have shutdown mass transit it hard hit areas such as NYC

That’s not true at all. Sweden did little to protect the nursing homes. And like all European countries other that Belgium, they’re not counting the dead at nursing homes. 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Isn't there talk of a possibility of a few different strains in the US? I saw something about CA C-19 being a slightly different strain than the one that hit NY and Boston. That could explain why it has different outcomes in different locations.

New York got hit hard because of the degree of foreign visitors they receive. It’s twice that of LA. They got slammed from both Asia and Europe. Couple that with their mass transit system, and it was bound to happen. 

Just now, BOHICA said:

Some do some dont of course.   Right at this moment I could rent a car from Enterprise in Manhattan for $17.72 a day.

Give the options those that do a place to park that are essential workers the option...  instead of forcing them to mass transit during these times.

That may have worked for some. I have no idea what the number of essential  works is in NY.  My guess would be that there still wouldn't be enough parking if they all drove to work. At least not close to where they work. Keep in mind some of these workers were doing 16 hour shifts. It would be hard to ask them to walk 2-3 miles each way to work.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That’s not true at all. Sweden did little to protect the nursing homes. And like all European countries other that Belgium, they’re not counting the dead at nursing homes. 

Sweden acknowledged in the beginning they did little to protect the nursing homes.  1/2 of there death total is from nursing homes.  We have a region in the US that bombed this worse then anywhere in the World.  No where even comes close to bombing it as bad

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

That may have worked for some. I have no idea what the number of essential  works is in NY.  My guess would be that there still wouldn't be enough parking if they all drove to work. At least not close to where they work. Keep in mind some of these workers were doing 16 hour shifts. It would be hard to ask them to walk 2-3 miles each way to work.

Central Park is 840 acres.  China could turn that into a hospital in less then a week.  We could turn that into a dirt parking lot in a day or 2

Just now, BOHICA said:

Sweden acknowledged in the beginning they did little to protect the nursing homes.  1/2 of there death total is from nursing homes.  We have a region in the US that bombed this worse then anywhere in the World.  No where even comes close to bombing it as bad

Lots of variables here. When did other countries close down international travel?  I believe some of Europe had closed down while we were still open for business and accepting foreign travelers.