Check your account email address ×

Apache Heritage/Star Speed Record Key West to Havana

Just now, frenchy said:

yeah wtf didn't even show

I was so involved watching the boat that I thought I missed it.  Watched the last 40 seconds over again. Nope, didn't miss it. Hahaha

But wow. Such a bad ass operation. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

That was so bad ass. It takes a lot of balls and money to run that hard for that long. 

Wonder what the time and average speed was. 

I was down at the Marina where they took off from for world championship offshore races a few years ago. Fucking amazing machines. The Super boats were doing 170 and I think the Geico jet boat was capable of 200+. Told the MIL I was going to watch the races she was nah, I'll go shopping. We were walking down the the wharf and she heard them warming up. When the first boat went by at about 150 with a helicopter chasing it, she almost shit. 

The thing is the record between Cuba and Key West has not seen much action because of the limits on Americans going there over the last so many decades. Most speed runs are contested going out to the Bahamas. The other big endurance/speed run used to be going the length of the Mississippi River from St Louis down to the gulf truely a test of men. But good luck to the Swede and his slow old boat.

41 minutes ago, s pump said:

I was down at the Marina where they took off from for world championship offshore races a few years ago. Fucking amazing machines. The Super boats were doing 170 and I think the Geico jet boat was capable of 200+. Told the MIL I was going to watch the races she was nah, I'll go shopping. We were walking down the the wharf and she heard them warming up. When the first boat went by at about 150 with a helicopter chasing it, she almost shit. 

I can only imagine how cool that is. 

41 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that Don aronow who started that corp and many other power  boat brands  had a pretty  colorful life till he got that hole in his head 

Yea Don had his hand in many boat lines but not Apache.  The truth is the guy who started Apache was Don's enemy and there was even some talk that he may have played a part in Don's death. 

• Like 1

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

Yea Don had his hand in many boat lines but not Apache.  The truth is the guy who started Apache was Don's enemy and there was even some talk that he may have played a part in Don's death. 

special thanks to Hawt Carrl for another quick take! :bc: 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, s pump said:

And that is just the boats in sanctioned racing some of the real top end boats are either at the Lake of the Ozarks shoot out or just doing poker runs where you can bring anything your wallet can bare.

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

special thanks to Hawt Carrl for another quick take! :bc: 

I was a young teen in the early 80s going to the Miami boat show looking at all of the boats.  Some kids collected baseball cards and knew the starting line up of every team, I on the other hand collected boat brochures and knew of every guy to run a race boat.   I had a misspent childhood.   I actually did ask for 5 gallons of Fiberglass resin for Christmas one year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I can only imagine how cool that is. 

You missed the fun in Havasu by about a decade unfortunately.  When PowerBoat and Hot Boat magazines were still in business they used to take over a hotel right by the london bridge every year and invite the top boat mfg to bring their latest toys and a few bus loads of bikini models just decorate the boats with.

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I was a young teen in the early 80s going to the Miami boat show looking at all of the boats.  Some kids collected baseball cards and knew the starting line up of every team, I on the other hand collected boat brochures and knew of every guy to run a race boat.   I had a misspent childhood.   I actually did ask for 5 gallons of Fiberglass resin for Christmas one year.

That is so cool. I drool every time I see a decent boat around here. Several of the entry level boat builders have taken up shop here in Havasu. 

From Eliminator to Hallett to Magic to Advantage , etc have all moved here to build boats. Its kinda cool to drive by their yards. Every one of them have a few nice boats they are building. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is so cool. I drool every time I see a decent boat around here. Several of the entry level boat builders have taken up shop here in Havasu. 

From Eliminator to Hallett to Magic to Advantage , etc have all moved here to build boats. Its kinda cool to drive by their yards. Every one of them have a few nice boats they are building. 

All the builders who used to be in California moved to Havasu 20 years ago to get away from what was coming in California.  I think they knew they would be unable to survive in the economic and regulatory climate that was taking shape back in the late 90s.   Some of those guys really make nice looking rigs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I meant that as a compliment. Your knowledge on boating topics is obviously quite extensive :bc: 

• Like 1

The fastest boat is a twin turbine Mystic, run by some fukkin  Arab Sheik. 244 MPH, LOTO Shootout. 

Fastest V-bottom is a Outerlimits, 182 MPH Sanctioned Kilo Run, Pamlico River, NC. 

Used ta' be A 42 Fountain, but Outerlimits got it.

Fountain tried again, but he had an engine failure ( Sterling engine ) and had to shut down. 

4 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Apache's are one of the best ROUGH WATER boats.  

That is because Ben Crammer the founder of Apache power boats designed the boat to smuggle drugs not just race offshore. Apache was always a little wider and a little taller in the deck which is what his real customers wanted to run bails of pot into Miami.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

that Don aronow who started that corp and many other power  boat brands  had a pretty  colorful life till he got that hole in his head 

Yup, a lot of the owners of many different manufacturers, past and present, have connections to gangs and drug money. You don,t get to own and of those huge expensive boats having a 9-5 job.