Check your account email address ×

Trump asked if disinfectants could be injected to kill coronavirus inside the body. Doctors answered: ‘People will die.’

Yes I know @Jimmy Snacks started a topic last night!

But if you ever had any doubt that you voted and have continued to support an imbecile for POTUS, and if you still have doubts................. well to use the presidents words "interesting"

Trump asked if disinfectants could be injected to kill coronavirus inside the body. Doctors answered: ‘People will die.’

After a presentation Thursday that touched on the disinfectants that can kill the novel coronavirus on surfaces and in the air, President Trump pondered whether those chemicals could be used to fight the virus inside the human body.

“I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute,” Trump said during Thursday’s coronavirus press briefing. “And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets inside the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.”

The question, which Trump offered unprompted, immediately spurred doctors to respond with incredulity and warnings against injecting or otherwise ingesting disinfectants, which are highly toxic.

“My concern is that people will die. People will think this is a good idea,” Craig Spencer, director of global health in emergency medicine at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, told The Washington Post. “This is not willy-nilly, off-the-cuff, maybe-this-will-work advice. This is dangerous.”

Trump’s eyebrow-raising query came immediately after William N. Bryan, the acting undersecretary for science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security, gave a presentation on the potential impact of summer heat and humidity, which also included references to tests that showed the effectiveness of different types of disinfectants. He recounted data from recent tests that showed how bleach, alcohol and sunlight could kill the coronavirus on surfaces.

Bryan said bleach killed the virus in about five minutes and isopropyl alcohol killed it in 30 seconds. In tests, sunlight and high temperatures also appeared to shorten the virus’s life on surfaces and in the air, Bryan said.

Trump has previously claimed that the arrival of summer weather will help fight the coronavirus outbreak without resorting to aggressive social distancing measures that carry significant economic ramifications. The study Bryan presented Thursday appeared to back those claims to some degree, although its results have not been peer-reviewed.

As Bryan left the podium without answering reporters’ questions, Trump stepped up to the mic. Before he allowed anyone to ask a question, the president offered an answer to a “question that, probably, some of you are thinking of if you are totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting.”

That’s when he asked about injecting an unspecified disinfectant into the lungs of covid-19 patients. He also raised the possibility of using light to combat the viral infection and suggested consulting medical doctors with these questions.

“So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it,” Trump said to Bryan. “And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way.”

He continued: “And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting.”

As president spoke, one of his top public health experts, Deborah Birx, who serves as the response coordinator for the White House’s coronavirus task force, listened in a chair a few feet away from the podium.

Birx did not immediately respond to Trump’s remarks about light therapy or disinfectant injections at the coronavirus briefing. Instead, she watched silently from the sidelines, her lips pressed in a tight line as Trump riffed on testing the unproven treatments.

Later in the briefing, Trump turned to Birx and asked if she had any knowledge of heat or light being used as a potential treatment for covid-19.

“Not as a treatment,” Birx answered from her seat. “I mean, certainly fever is a good thing. When you have a fever, it helps your body respond.” Then Trump started talking again, cutting her answer short.

Other doctors stepped forward after the briefing to challenge the president, calling his comments “irresponsible,” “extremely dangerous” and “frightening” in interviews with The Post as they rushed to warn people of the dire consequences of ingesting caustic chemicals. 

“We’ve heard the president trying to practice medicine for several weeks now, but this is a new low that is outside the realms of common sense or plausibility,” said Ryan Marino, a medical toxicologist and emergency physician at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

“I can understand looking to medicines that might have some effect or some sort of studies in a petri dish showing that they might work on a virus,” Marino added. “But talking about putting ultraviolet radiation inside of the human body or putting antiseptic things that are toxic to life inside of living people, it doesn’t make any sense anymore.”

And not only were Trump’s statements baffling, doctors told The Post that his remarks could pose risks to the lives of those who interpret the words as a suggestion to try the unproven treatments themselves.

“People will do extraordinary things if you give them the idea,” said Dara Kass, associate professor of emergency medicine at Columbia University Medical Center.

The doctors likened Trump’s comments on disinfectants to his past remarks about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, anti-viral drugs that are used to treat malaria and are being tested to determine whether they might assist in treating covid-19. One recent study found the drugs were linked to higher death rates in coronavirus patients, The Post reported, and other clinical trials are still underway. But Trump had touted the drugs as a “game changer” before evidence from early trials had come back, encouraging people to get prescriptions and try the medicines.

But Trump’s Thursday comments have the potential to cause even greater harm, Kass said to The Post.

“The difference between this and the chloroquine is that somebody could go right away to their pantry and start swallowing bleach. They could go to their medicine cabinet and swallow isopropyl alcohol,” Kass said. “A lot of people have that in their homes. There’s an immediate opportunity to react.”

People who ingest such chemicals often die, Kass said. Those who survive usually end up with feeding tubes, a result of their mouth and esophagus being eroded by the cleaning agents.

“It’s horrific,” she said.

By late Thursday, social media was flooded with pointed warnings from doctors, begging people not to attempt self-medication amid the pandemic.

On CNN, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn said he believes the president’s comments reflect a question “many Americans are asking,” but cautioned people not to consume disinfectants at home.

“We certainly wouldn’t want, as a physician, someone to take matters into their own hands,” Hahn said. “I think this is something a patient would want to talk to their physician about, and no, I certainly wouldn’t recommend the internal ingestion of a disinfectant.”

Meanwhile, other experts also sought to fact-check Trump’s claims about light as a possible treatment.

“No, you cannot inject UV light into your body to cure #COVID19 —— neither biology or physics work that way,” tweeted science writer David Robert Grimes, who noted that he earned his PhD in medical ultraviolet radiation.

Still, despite the prolific warnings, doctors told The Post not everyone is going to listen.

“There is an emergency department in America in the week that will probably get a bleach ingestion because of this,” Kass said. “We know that because people are scared and vulnerable, and they’re not going to think it’s that dangerous because they can get it in their house.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-asked-if-disinfectants-could-be-injected-to-kill-coronavirus-inside-the-body-doctors-answered-people-will-die/ar-BB137Yr7

Sunlight is a disinfectant.

The idea was to somehow 'inject' UV light into the lungs of patients. He will leave that to the doctors to figure out how to do.

Yeah. Trump want's to Lysol the country.

Just now, Snake said:

The idea was to somehow 'inject' UV light into the lungs of patients. He will leave that to the doctors to figure out how to do.

Seriously man, you're defending that? 

FB_IMG_1587728117600.jpg

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Seriously man, you're defending that? 

FB_IMG_1587728117600.jpg

It's what I took away from it when I watched the whole thing.

Feel free to be told what he meant. I will go with my wn take away.

Edited by Snake
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh don't worry...Breitbart is doing spin and damage control over the whole thing and it appears it's working on some.

I didn't think there was anyway to spin this, and then I read snakes take on it.

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

If one of my loved ones started espousing ideas like Trump did yesterday while they were sober I would start looking into institutional care.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh don't worry...Breitbart is doing spin and damage control over the whole thing and it appears it's working on some.

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I didn't think there was anyway to spin this, and then I read snakes take on it.

Just do what the media tells ya to boys.

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

If one of my loved ones started espousing ideas like Trump did yesterday while they were sober I would start looking into institutional care.

If I were your loved one.... I would institutionalize myself.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

these are the same guys that went apeshit for 8 plus years over Obama's slip of the tongue when he said he had been to 57 states remember. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, frenchy said:

these are the same guys that went apeshit for 8 plus years over Obama's slip of the tongue when he said he had been to 57 states remember. 

Absolutely.

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

He's a clumsy speaker and times, and enjoys calling out assholes in the media.  We've been through this.  I listened to the comments.  Big fucking deal.  Go chug a gallon of Clorox if you think he actually believes or is suggesting that.  My takeaway is guys like Smales post this garbage, just as an opportunity to point fingers and call names.  So yeah.  Whatever.

4 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I mean if that wasn't an 'I got nothin' response then I don't know what is. Like Dripper level. 

Then there is this beauty...long winded but same point. :lol:

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

8 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Yes.

The look on Dr. Birx's face says it all: Take Camera 2

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snake said:

It's what I took away from it when I watched the whole thing.

Feel free to be told what he meant. I will go with my wn take away.

So now we need an interpreter when Trump speaks? Ok

20 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Imagine if he thought we should explore shooting sunshine up peoples asses and injecting them with disinfectant? They love to tear apart Biden for his gaffes but Trump is a daily gaffe machine and apparently we need an interpreter to know what he really meant... :guzzle:

Just now, Anler said:

Imagine if he thought we should explore shooting sunshine up peoples asses and injecting them with disinfectant? They love to tear apart Biden for his gaffes but Trump is a daily gaffe machine and apparently we need an interpreter to know what he really meant... :guzzle:

at least with Biden you can blame the dementia. This guy is just plane nuts. 

• Like 1

Just now, frenchy said:

at least with Biden you can blame the dementia. This guy is just plane nuts. 

And I really havent seen anybody trying to tell us what Biden "really meant" when he says stupid shit.  :lol:

Oh come on, it wasnt that bad if you watched the whole briefing in context........he's like a little kid talking out loud at times. 

I was wincing a bit but at least he didn't suggest draining the blood of a covid victim and replace with healthy animal blood which I thought he may end up saying if he continued.  :stop:

20 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Yes.

The look on Dr. Birx's face says it all: Take Camera 2

You know she is dreading those inevitable questions about getting light in the body and which disinfectants to inject... :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Oh come on, it wasnt that bad if you watched the whole briefing in context........he's like a little kid talking out loud at times. 

I was wincing a bit but at least he didn't suggest draining the blood of a covid victim and replace with healthy animal blood which I thought he may end up saying if he continued.  :stop:

Its an embarassment if you have any shame or humility.