Check your account email address ×

Wanna buy a brand new Buick GNX?

16 minutes ago, smokin george said:

All the muscle cars had an underrated HP due to ins etc. The 69 302 Z28 was rated 275 or 285hp I forget and was fast for what it was. The 340 Darts/Dusters were 275 hp and with the lightweight were Roadrunner/GTX/Cuda beaters

While fun to talk about, the technology in those motors are completely primitive to today’s designs. Yet I will hand it to the engine designers of that era. It was pencils, slide rules, and melted motor bits to get to a final destination. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

While fun to talk about, the technology in those motors are completely primitive to today’s designs. Yet I will hand it to the engine designers of that era. It was pencils, slide rules, and melted motor bits to get to a final destination. 

Pretty archaic technology but easy to work on compared to today's cars

14 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I'm old and forget lol. I lived thru that era and could tell you all the HP ratings, what engines were boat anchors and what was needed to go fast for most of those cars

ZL-1 430hp:lol:

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

How many guys here know how to set dwell or even know what it is? 

I knew how to set single/dual point distributors, rebuild all the carbs and set up a six-pack and maybe a few other things and replace ballast resistors lol

10 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I knew how to set single/dual point distributors, rebuild all the carbs and set up a six-pack and maybe a few other things and replace ballast resistors lol

I drove a tow truck when I was younger. Those mopars and their ballast resistors. :lol: I kept a couple on my at all times.

12 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I had an old Mazda RX-3 with two, point type distributors. That was a real treat. Rebuilding carbs is a piece of cake. 

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I drove a tow truck when I was younger. Those mopars and their ballast resistors. :lol: I kept a couple on my at all times.

I had a couple in the glovebox ( 69 340 Barracuda FB). I also had a jumper wire made up with alligator clips

36 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I had a couple in the glovebox ( 69 340 Barracuda FB). I also had a jumper wire made up with alligator clips

Sounds like it’s going to start but then it stalls out.

Sound familiar?

:lol: 

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

I always thought the GN/GNX's power and performance figures were understated by GM so as not to embarrass Chevy and more specifically the Corvette. That was the story in the day anyways. My uncle was a GM dealer back in the 80's and that was the story that came down from GM execs. :dunno: 

That is true.

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

The first 3 on the list don't count as they're after 1987. COPO cars don't as well as they were aftermarket builds. I'm talking a car off the showroom floor up until that point. Stock for stock the GNX and the GN ran as quick as anything made. A proper tune/slicks they ran 12.20"s whereas all the factory muscle cars needed aftermarket parts to get as quick. 

Wrong

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Buick Regal was sweet but I was more into the 83-84 Hurst olds.   Missed on a great opportunity 8-10 years ago before their popularity started to rise.   Found one with 29,000 miles is excellent shape that they were only asking $9000.  Waited a day and it was gone.  :wall: 

Someday I'd like to do a restomod version.   Keeping it all matching is not that big a deal on a car like this.

The Hurst Olds and Monte SS from that era are pathetic. The 305 and 307 are :flush:   Should have been the 5.7TPI out of the Vette/IROC/Formula350

39 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Yep. Always had 2 extra in the glove box :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

The Hurst Olds and Monte SS from that era are pathetic. The 305 and 307 are :flush:   Should have been the 5.7TPI out of the Vette/IROC/Formula350

Agreed and why I wouldn't leave it in there or stock.

10 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Yes they were buddy had a 83 Hurst Olds I smoked him at Milan with my 2.2 turbo charged laser. :lol: he was pissed. 

Edited by gravy davey

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Agreed and why I wouldn't leave it in there or stock.

Only reason they didn't do it is because they were afraid it would take away sales from the ones that came with the 5.7TPI

12 minutes ago, gravy davey said:

Yes they were buddy had a 83 Hurst Olds I smoked him at Milan with my 2.2 turbo charged laser. :lol: he was pissed. 

:lol: I bet he was :lmao:

As much as I hate to agree with Momo that body style was a huge piece of shit and so was the Buick 3.8. but the car was the coolest thing at the time. 

And no way Momo owns 40 classic cars. If anything he washes cars. 

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

As much as I hate to agree with Momo that body style was a huge piece of shit and so was the Buick 3.8. but the car was the coolest thing at the time. 

And no way Momo owns 40 classic cars. If anything he washes cars. 

The Buick 3.8 went through a lot of changes from its inception. Once the crank and oil pump issues were fixed, it turned into a pretty decent motor.