Check your account email address ×

The Dow

Just now, Mainecat said:

Dow when Trump took office:

Jan. 20, 2017  19,827

March 16, 2020  21,275

It’s up 1,448 in 38 months.

much like Obie gets a free pass for certain things giving what he inherited Trump should in this case he did not create this issue.  Regardless of his scattered response there was little to nothing he could have done to stop what has occurred.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

much like Obie gets a free pass for certain things giving what he inherited Trump should in this case he did not create this issue.  Regardless of his scattered response there was little to nothing he could have done to stop what has occurred.  

so what. He not only took credit for gains that had nothing to do with him he proclaimed they were all his doing, and would be even better had dems not been trying to impeach him or frame him on collusion. He gets to own both sides of the coin because of that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

The economy was moving up when Trump took office. 

Trumps legacy is failures to whatever he touches. It’s fuckin historic.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

so what. He not only took credit for gains that had nothing to do with him he proclaimed they were all his doing, and would be even better had dems not been trying to impeach him or frame him on collusion. He gets to own both sides of the coin because of that. 

i don't disagree he is going to pay the price for his crowing for years about the point gains but the reality is he didn't create the issue thats causing the problem right now.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i don't disagree he is going to pay the price for his crowing for years about the point gains but the reality is he didn't create the issue thats causing the problem right now.  

if anything it should serve as a perfect example as to why spending like a drunken sailor in strong economic times is a horrible idea but the trump fun bunch will have none of that. 

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

He’s a consummate self promoter.  It’s gross but, he can take some of the responsibility for the rise in the market because he inspired consumer confidence...truth is, it was really just his admin rolling back stifling Obama idiocy.

And yes, the virus is what is causing all this...or the panic really.

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The economy was moving up when Trump took office. 

Trumps legacy is failures to whatever he touches. It’s fuckin historic.

Just shut the fuck up.  God damn...what a bunch of whining little assholes.  Set your house on fire tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, frenchy said:

if anything it should serve as a perfect example as to why spending like a drunken sailor in strong economic times is a horrible idea but the trump fun bunch will have none of that. 

I don’t think anyone is defending the spending, but I also believe initially the tax break was intended to give the middle class a boost, and evidence suggests that it accomplished that- confidence, wage growth in lower income sectors,  spending all up  since.  Consumer spending is 70% of the gdp.  So an argument can be made that without it the economy wouldn’t have been so strong for the past 3 years.  He also has to get budget past a partisan D house, and since when have they or anyone else  been putting the brakes on spending?  All that said, he needs to make reducing the deficit a high priority in his second term.  We’ll see.  Imo.

Edited by DriftBusta

Just now, DriftBusta said:

I don’t think anyone is defending the spending, but I also believe initially the tax break was intended to give the middle class a boost, and evidence suggests that it accomplished that- confidence, wage growth in lower income sectors,  spending all up  since.  Consumer spending is 70% of the gdp.  So an argument can be made that without it the economy wouldn’t have been so strong for the past 3 years.  He also has to get budget past a partisan D house, and since when have they or anyone else  been putting the breaks on spending?  All that said, he needs to make reducing the deficit a high priority in his second term.  We’ll see.  Imo.

My thoughts are true growth at a lower rate is better than bubble growth fueled by public debt, especially leading in to what could very well be a deep recession. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frenchy said:

My thoughts are true growth at a lower rate is better than bubble growth fueled by public debt, especially leading in to what could very well be a deep recession. 

The surge in the market to 23-24k was based on confidence spending and the roll back of Obama level idiocy.  After that, it’s debt spending....and went too high too fast.  Consumerism is just crazy!

Once again...cheap credit will give the spending booms but, sooner or later, it corrects.  Still, what is hurting now is all fear based virus shit.  Fundamentals were still strong enough in most sectors and the ones that weren’t were set to impose a correction on their own....just nothing like this. 

30 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I believe he and monetary policy to prop up the markets did create the issues and this Corona virus and don't forget the oil price war are just the triggers that broke the camels back so to speak.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The surge in the market to 23-24k was based on confidence spending and the roll back of Obama level idiocy.  After that, it’s debt spending....and went too high too fast.  Consumerism is just crazy!

Once again...cheap credit will give the spending booms but, sooner or later, it corrects.  Still, what is hurting now is all fear based virus shit.  Fundamentals were still strong enough in most sectors and the ones that weren’t were set to impose a correction on their own....just nothing like this. 

confidence was for sure part of that but tax cuts funded via massive deficits are what fueled it. 

My thoughts are trump could have had solid growth numbers based solely on consumer confidence. He didn't need the massive deficits but wanted the market to reach heights never before seen no matter what, to fuel his own ego. His messaging and ability to sell people on spending, and investing in the markets would have been enough. 

Edited by frenchy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

confidence was for sure part of that but tax cuts funded via massive deficits are what fueled it. 

My thoughts are trump could have had solid growth numbers based solely on consumer confidence. He didn't need the massive deficits but wanted the market to reach heights never before seen no matter what, to fuel his own ego. His messaging and ability to sell people on spending, and investing in the markets would have been enough. 

Nobody cares about deficits or national debts anymore.  Our government has long decided they should be presented as myths to the public.

Still, tax reductions are good.  It’s our government spending that is not.  We collectively need to push to shut off their fucking tap.

33 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He’s a consummate self promoter.  It’s gross but, he can take some of the responsibility for the rise in the market because he inspired consumer confidence...truth is, it was really just his admin rolling back stifling Obama idiocy.

And yes, the virus is what is causing all this...or the panic really.

I’m other words, if the world would only cooperate everything would be fine. Shit happens, dummy. 

4 hours ago, frenchy said:

Why would you think that? Is it because of these debt bubbles that burst every 10 years or so? 

3 minutes ago, frenchy said:

yeah, it's like history has never taught us anything :lol: 

Everybody is now used to this and its normal to them. We just got fleeced....again.