Check your account email address ×

Ride Report: 2020.5 Ski-Doo Renegade XRS 850

2 minutes ago, thewayout said:

My xrs rips the corners, I got it set up perfectly now imo. It’s not as flat cornering as an axys or procross but i can’t tell a difference between prestons X and my xrs as far as handling and ride height are concerned. Over the past few rides I’ve tweaked the rebound and got the rear skid dialed in, I’m down to 3 on the compression adjusters on both the front and rear track shocks and have the torsions set to 3 with couplers set to 2. Sag is perfect and it hooks pretty hard even with a rip 1. The 1.5” studs make all the difference in the world compared to the short 1.325s doo recommends which are useless with that track. 

@bussman can comment on handling coming from a cat. Poo and cat have the best front suspensions in the business as of now, Maybe the RAS X evens it out.

Weird how Polaris has had the #1 front end since 2015 while skidoo and cat have to keep updating theirs only to still not be as good. :dunno:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah but you have to have the xrs shocks slugged to get a decent ride height

Haven't touched either of mine and they're fine 

5 minutes ago, Doos said:

It’s about $1500 or so for a set of Elka’s set up how I would want them. Less whatever I sell the X shocks for, so it’s about a wash. 

Going to do my best to just ride and not fvck around with aftermarket shit, so in the end maybe the XRS is what I go with. Then I have to buy a windshield ha.

Where are you getting a set of 4 Elka's for $1500? 

Just now, Anler said:

Weird how Polaris has had the #1 front end since 2015 while skidoo and cat have to keep updating theirs only to still not be as good. :dunno:

Brian’s sled reminded me of the front on the axys. It’s flat and predictable. I love that.

the G4 took me a few rides to get used to, but after I got it dialed in for me, i feel a lot better about it then I did at first. It still isn’t as good as the other two though. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I’m really considering the Polaris, but the 850 scares me. 

If you don’t spend some time setting an xrs up you shouldn’t own one imo. People are shortening shocks because they don’t know how to set up a sled. 

Also, I laugh at the guys on doo talk saying they can’t get their G4’s to corner without pushing hard so they throw C&As on and then complain about steering effort :lol: 

We rode in mashed potato trails in 50* temps all weekend and I wasn’t pushing at all. 7.5 shapers down the center, stock 4” on the outside on pilot 5.7s with bergstrom shims. It rails pretty good

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doos said:

I’m really considering the Polaris, but the 850 scares me. 

Sounds like the skidoo 850 is spitting gas and oil out of the exhaust valves. 2020 poo 850 has been pretty great from what I have heard. I plan on ordering one or picking up a 2020. 

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Haven't touched either of mine and they're fine 

Where are you getting a set of 4 Elka's for $1500? 

I looked a couple days ago and if memory serves me right the Stage 3 were around a grand for the front set, and the rear 500. List price, I’m sure they less through a dealer. 

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Get rid of that Rip1 and replace it with a Rip2

My rip 1 with the studs I have has no traction issues at all. It honestly hooks hard. I’m leaving it. 

regardless of the track, the G4 won’t come out of the hole like an Axys pro XC sled will. 

Just now, thewayout said:

If you don’t spend some time setting an xrs up you shouldn’t own one imo. People are shortening shocks because they don’t know how to set up a sled. 

Also, I laugh at the guys on doo talk saying they can’t get their G4’s to corner without pushing hard so they throw C&As on and then complain about steering effort :lol: 

We rode in mashed potato trails in 50* temps all weekend and I wasn’t pushing at all. 7.5 shapers down the center, stock 4” on the outside on pilot 5.7s with bergstrom shims. It rails pretty good

Nope, my bud Sean rides over 5000 miles a year and he can fucking out ride probably most people we know. he knows how to set up a sled and he is getting his shocks slugged. He buys new every year and has been eyeballing the polaris as he knows it handles superior but was skeptical due to the 850 rumors. I wouldnt be surprised if he is on a poo next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Sounds like the skidoo 850 is spitting gas and oil out of the exhaust valves. 2020 poo 850 has been pretty great from what I have heard. I plan on ordering one or picking up a 2020. 

I’d have 0 concerns with a 2020+ 850. First years on the other hand, no thanks. 

also, I haven’t heard of any issues with the 850 doos except exhaust valve gaskets

also, I haven’t heard of any issues with the 850 doos except exhaust valve gaskets

JT was on here the other day complaining about the doo 850 spitting gas and oil. Said its pretty common :dunno:

@jtssrx

I’m sure I’d be happy with either, shit can happen with any of them. Does Polaris have anything like the Linq system? Most of my riding will be 3 to 4 day across the UP trips, the Linq set up was slick. 

3 minutes ago, Doos said:

I looked a couple days ago and if memory serves me right the Stage 3 were around a grand for the front set, and the rear 500. List price, I’m sure they less through a dealer. 

I doubt that. They aren't cheap at all.  And you're not getting both center and rear for $500.  Those are sold individually. 

I have $1,2?? in a rear and center Exit X1 for and SC5 in a '12 TNT.  

My rip 1 with the studs I have has no traction issues at all. It honestly hooks hard. I’m leaving it. 

regardless of the track, the G4 won’t come out of the hole like an Axys pro XC sled will. 

RIP2 studded is way better 

BS

1 minute ago, Anler said:

JT was on here the other day complaining about the doo 850 spitting gas and oil. Said its pretty common :dunno:

@jtssrx

Yep, broken rollers in the secondary too. Ask me how I know :lol: 

so far I haven’t noticed any gas and oil spitting from my valves. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I doubt that. They aren't cheap at all.  And you're not getting both center and rear for $500.  Those are sold individually. 

BS

I’ve had both, and ridden multiple G4’s. Prestons has a rip 2 with 135 1.352” studs. I have a rip 1 with 90 1.5” studs. Hole shots were identical for both of us multiple times this weekend, and we raced probably 3-4 times across groomed lakes. Top end was identical. We were dead even for probably a mile

Edited by thewayout

Just now, SVT MXZ XRS said:

BS

I’m just trying to get back in the loop, we’ll see. Just starting to wrap my head around what’s going on. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thewayout said:

Same here, but not in the 2020s

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

@jtssrx

His was just oil

1 minute ago, Doos said:

I’m sure I’d be happy with either, shit can happen with any of them. Does Polaris have anything like the Linq system? Most of my riding will be 3 to 4 day across the UP trips, the Linq set up was slick. 

Up North Technologies if you go gay and get a Polaris

Yep, broken rollers in the secondary too. Ask me how I know :lol: 

so far I haven’t noticed any gas and oil spitting from my valves. :lol: 

That’s been an issue for years. Always changed mine out before riding the sled.

1 minute ago, thewayout said:

I’ve had both, and ridden multiple G4’s. Prestons has a rip 2 with 135 1.352” studs. I have a rip 1 with 90 1.5” studs. Hole shots were identical for both of us multiple times this weekend, and we raced probably 3-4 times across groomed lakes.

I had a rip 1 on my 2012 and used to hang the skis on that thing like a boss. It was shitty in deep snow but on the trail it was fine. 

Just now, Anler said:

I had a rip 1 on my 2012 and used to hang the skis on that thing like a boss. It was shitty in deep snow but on the trail it was fine. 

You’ve ridden with me on my xcr. Is there any other sled that comes out of the hole that hard that you’ve seen? 

People are too hard on them going from forward to reverse and forward again. I’ve been a lot easier on mine since. 

That and they’re made from shit brittle material. I wish I could remember the name of company I used for the rollers, probably still have a set or two in the garage. 

• Like 1