Check your account email address ×

Natural selection. Wisconsin snowmobile deaths.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Wisconsin Lawmakers have talked about speed limits 24 hours a day, it probably will come to that eventually.

Pending on how its enforced it could make me not sled in Wisconsin or at least much less.  

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

The speed limits have done nothing to help as far as I can tell.

45 mph speed limit in NH and it doesn't change a thing.  it's stupid as fuck as the only place they are really run enforcement is where 80 is perfectly safe on rail beds and 30 foot wide logging roads. Many stopped riding there because of the speed limits.  

• Thanks 1

45 mph speed limit in NH and it doesn't change a thing.  it's stupid as fuck as the only place they are really run enforcement is where 80 is perfectly safe on rail beds and 30 foot wide logging roads. Many stopped riding there because of the speed limits.  

Just now, racer254 said:

Agreed.   Over confidence in rider and sled ability is the main culprit.   Well besides alcohol.  

Not so sure trails closing at a certain time of day wouldn't be considered.  12:30 or 1 am trails close for the night until 7am.   I know the groomer operators would appreciate it.   Bar owners would piss and moan.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

That's night time speed limits, DNR & cops usually are not on the trails at night..daytime if imposed would see a dramatic rise in speeding tickets which may slow folks down..

Edited by XCR1250

Some years ago a guy I know was riding Tug Hill, he saw a light coming his way got all the right as far as he could and a sled landed right on his hood, brand new sled less than 10 miles on it, amazingly he wasn't hurt at all and the other driver wasn't either.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Pending on how its enforced it could make me not sled in Wisconsin or at least much less.  

I have heard at club meetings where more States are considering 24 hour speed limits, so sooner or later it might be many States.

• Thanks 1

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I have heard at club meetings where more States are considering 24 hour speed limits, so sooner or later it might be many States.

Again to me it depends on how its enforced.  24hr speed limits on the lakes and all trails might make me go back to more mountain riding and less midwest riding. 

Drunks will kill themselves no matter what the speed limit is.   Its like putting up a no firearms sign and thinking the bad guys will pay attention to them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bussman said:

Friday evening we did. Got Preston a steak at Blink Bonnie’s. lol

I generally avoid that area because of yahoos but Preston always wanted to visit it once. I generally don’t lead because my brother does but did this weekend. Had two close calls with morons on my side. Yesterday because of the warm was awesome, hardly anyone out. Went to Rhinelander. Lake Tomahawk area was perfect. 

All town riding is done now though until they get more snow. 

Was up in Spooner last weekend and had 3 instances of Ricky racers coming around a turn on the wrong side. I swear I am ready to dive and do a closeline on one of these motherfuckers if they ever get close enough. I'm sick of it. Who the fuck doesn't understand tight to the right on blind turns? And I have my kid and my buddies kid with me. Seriously I'm going to stab a motherfucker one of these days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

That's night time speed limits, DNR & cops usually are not on the rails at night..daytime if imposed would see a dramatic rise in speeding tickets.

But do little to lower accidents. 

51 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

There was a bad crash on a huge lake near Curtis last night

No fucking idea how these two got to where they impacted trees 

Just saw that on FB a little while ago.  They had to be drinking

13 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i think everyone should have to take the class TBH.  Bunch of fucktards out there and IMO the biggest issues not the fast ones it's the put puts riding all over the trail at 20

I think it should be required that you get it on your license just like a motorcycle license. 

Yep, only revenue generators.  Nothing more. 

Perhaps, but I believe they are also  trying to prevent accidents as well..how else are you going to stop the carnage? Make sleds capable of only reaching speeds of 30 something??

Just now, Anler said:

Was up in Spooner last weekend and had 3 instances of Ricky racers coming around a turn on the wrong side. I swear I am ready to dive and do a closeline on one of these motherfuckers if they ever get close enough. I'm sick of it. Who the fuck doesn't understand tight to the right on blind turns? And I have my kid and my buddies kid with me. Seriously I'm going to stab a motherfucker one of these days. 

I wont take my kids where its busy, Id kill a Mf'r for running my kid off the trail..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

I’ve had it so bad I’ve literally stopped fully as far right as I can get and still almost got pegged. I agree, road rage is getting close with these assholes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Perhaps, but I believe they are also  trying to prevent accidents as well..how else are you going to stop the carnage? Make sleds capable of only reaching speeds of 30 something??

I really don't think you can without more enforcement and I am not advocating for that either.  I say 20 per year is just something that we have to live with.  Percentage wise, snowmobiles are very safe compared to other things.   ATV's have speed limits 24 hours. 

Just now, racer254 said:

I really don't think you can without more enforcement and I am not advocating for that either.  I say 20 per year is just something that we have to live with.  Percentage wise, snowmobiles are very safe compared to other things.   ATV's have speed limits 24 hours. 

We have no ATV speed limits here.

Just now, Anler said:

Earlier this year on the trail on the east side of Gogebic we were stopped on a long straight stretch of road not far from the Root Cellar.   Well along come this group just fucking flying and go screaming by within a few feet of us doing well over 70.   Last guy slows down knowing they fucked up looking for the turn.   I rushed up onto him on my sled and fucking let him have it.   He looked at me with the deer in the headlights look and knew they fucked up.   Well we got to the Root Cellar before them (they obviously flew by the turn and missed it) and were at our table when they walked by.   Not a fucking one of the cowards would look at me or say anything.   Good thing they didn't cause I was ready to go to jail that night if need be.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

That's an unknown until it's imposed.

Just not a lot of deaths during the daylight hours. 

Wisconsin ATV speed limits:

You must slow your ATV/UTV to 10 mph or less: • When you are riding within 100 feet of a person who is not on a motorized vehicle. This includes, but is not limited to slowing for anglers, hikers, bicyclists, joggers, horses, etc. as well as for other ATV/UTV operators standing along the trail. • When you are riding within 100 feet of an ice fishing shanty while on the ice. • When you are riding within 150 feet of a home or dwelling. • You must obey the posted trail speed limits at all times. Exception: The 10 mph speed limit doesn’t apply while operating on legal ATV Road Routes, unless enacted by local ordinance. • When operating on or along roadways you cannot exceed the posted roadway speed limits for motor vehicle traffic unless there is a specific speed limit posted for ATVs/UTVs. Other ATV/UTV Restrictions • You must obey all regulatory signs, such as stop signs, yield signs