Check your account email address ×

ZR 8000 RR best 800/850 class ever for the money

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

thats what i put on my 16 XRS gade.  I put 5-6k miles on them on a previous sled and knew it was a good swap.  No crossover should come with 5.7's

Not sure any sled should come with the 5.7's when compared to the 6.9's.   They suck on sugary trails.   

35 minutes ago, Highmark said:

By push I also meant inside ski lift.   Again the ProCross is best at this however my new Poo rides quit flat all the while offering things the Cat cannot.

My perfect sled is one that corners (limits push and inside ski lift) at say a 7 out of 10 yet allows me to lift the front end over bumps and thru the whoops and roller coasters at a 10.  The poo pretty much fits this.  The procross is a 10 on cornering and a 3 in the other area.   Ride quality the poo is a 9-10 and the procross a 7-8. 

I’d say I’d probably agree to all of this.  I want as close to ten as I can get with handling.  That means I have to give somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Anler said:

The poo hay baler is the flattest cornering sled I have ever ridden. 

I’m not surprised.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I’d say I’d probably agree to all of this.  I want as close to ten as I can get with handling.  That means I have to give somewhere.

I’m not surprised.

stfu :lol: 

I will never understand why riders are so concerned with inside ski lift, if you are going around a corner and both skis are on the ground, you are not going as fast as you can with your inside ski lifted.

Just now, spin_dry said:

Cat has always made a great sled for the low mileage shit talkers or bar stool lake runners. The Hoop n Holler guys. 

Cat has always made fast sleds but the market and the sport has changed. Now its super cushy trail sleds with tons of travel, tech, features and lots of bling(accessories). That sled Don is trying to sell would have been very desirable back in the 90's early 2000's. Now not so much. 

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Cat has always made a great sled for the low mileage shit talkers or bar stool lake runners. The Hoop n Holler guys. 

You don’t ride anymore and haven’t since rider forward became a thing. Go cry about mean orange man in another thread.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I will never understand why riders are so concerned with inside ski lift, if you are going around a corner and both skis are on the ground, you are not going as fast as you can with your inside ski lifted.

I’m on one ski frequently.  It’s about the speed I can achieve into and through the apex before I reach ski lift and how much control I have over it.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Cat has always made fast sleds but the market and the sport has changed. Now its super cushy trail sleds with tons of travel, tech, features and lots of bling(accessories). That sled Don is trying to sell would have been very desirable back in the 90's early 2000's. Now not so much. 

The odd thing is, it seems many riders today with all the suspension they have won't ride on anything but pavement smooth trails.

Just now, 1jkw said:

The odd thing is, it seems many riders today with all the suspension they have won't ride on anything but pavement smooth trails.

I disagree, the crossover segment has exploded. If you go to the UP there are a ton of longer tracks and dudes with backpacks. But I can tell you personally my back does not like the whooped out trails anymore. :lol:

Just now, Zambroski said:

You don’t ride anymore and haven’t since rider forward became a thing. Go cry about mean orange man in another thread.  :lol:

I’m on one ski frequently.  It’s about the speed I can achieve into and through the apex before I reach ski lift and how much control I have over it.

I am the same way, I like to rail the turns as hard as I can and I don't care about ski lift, tons of people let off at the slightest sign of inside lift.

Just now, 1jkw said:

9 out of ten can’t tell you what any of their suspension adjustments do.  Many are the ones with the RR/XRS/XCR sleds.  Total waste of their money so they can say they have the BEST sled out there.

6 out of ten can’t walk you through a basic ski/track alignment for their sled much less figure out the problems they are having with handling characteristics.  

Just now, Anler said:

I disagree, the crossover segment has exploded. If you go to the UP there are a ton of longer tracks and dudes with backpacks. But I can tell you personally my back does not like the whooped out trails anymore. :lol:

Not the same here, of course we haven't had a good winter in about 9 years, but lots of riders only want groomed trails. We have back packers here too, we barely ever have more than a foot of snow to ride on.  I built my IQR for rough trails, fuck that shit at my age though.

2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I am the same way, I like to rail the turns as hard as I can and I don't care about ski lift, tons of people let off at the slightest sign of inside lift.

I’m hammering on it. Period.  I’m on one ski a lot, but it’s predictable and controllable....mostly. :lmao:

Our trails were pretty clapped out last week so I took off my sway bar.  It never takes long to be reminded how much difference they make in the flat corners.  There just weren’t many flat corners.  It was fun to put it back on and ride the smooth trail last weekend.  

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

9 out of ten can’t tell you what any of their suspension adjustments do.  Many are the ones with the RR/XRS/XCR sleds.  Total waste of their money so they can say they have the BEST sled out there.

6 out of ten can’t walk you through a basic ski/track alignment for their sled much less figure out the problems they are having with handling characteristics.  

I love building and working on sleds to make them handle better and go faster. The biggest problem I have is when we get snow I just want to ride and the snow never lasts long enough to spend days playing with adjustments.  

5 or 6 years ago we were unloading and a guy next to us was pulling his plugs to prime the sled, my buddy went over to see if he could help, found out the guy was only putting the choke on halfway and he couldn't believe he had been doing this for years not knowing his sled would start in 1 or 2 pulls if he used the choke right.

• Confused 1

Just now, 1jkw said:

I love building and working on sleds to make them handle better and go faster. The biggest problem I have is when we get snow I just want to ride and the snow never lasts long enough to spend days playing with adjustments.  

5 or 6 years ago we were unloading and a guy next to us was pulling his plugs to prime the sled, my buddy went over to see if he could help, found out the guy was only putting the choke on halfway and he couldn't believe he had been doing this for years not knowing his sled would start in 1 or 2 pulls if he used the choke right.

I’ve always been a performance handling tweaker.  Cars or motorsports.  A newly valved set of nice shocks give me wood!  I  tinker with my sled for about the first riding season then make bigger changes during the summer.  By the first half dozen rides in season two I’ve got it right where I want it.  This is good and bad.  I just want to do it again with another sled.

I’m anxious to see what sled I end up tinkering with this summer.  Unless I see something new coming from Cat, it’ll be a Doo.

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’m hammering on it. Period.  I’m on one ski a lot, but it’s predictable and controllable....mostly. :lmao:

Our trails were pretty clapped out last week so I took off my sway bar.  It never takes long to be reminded how much difference they make in the flat corners.  There just weren’t many flat corners.  It was fun to put it back on and ride the smooth trail last weekend.  

I was up in the field behind my house on my IQR held it open a good distance, and when I had to turn scared the shit out of myself, fuck that no sway bar  shit ordered and put sway bar on as soon as I could.

Just now, 1jkw said:

I was up in the field behind my house on my IQR held it open a good distance, and when I had to turn scared the shit out of myself, fuck that no sway bar  shit ordered and put sway bar on as soon as I could.

I had to stop several times and add pressure.  Jesus.  Like I said...world of difference.  Especially on flatter corners.  The first couple turns puckered my bung up pretty tight...left holes in my seat!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve always been a performance handling tweaker.  Cars or motorsports.  A newly valved set of nice shocks give me wood!  I  tinker with my sled for about the first riding season then make bigger changes during the summer.  By the first half dozen rides in season two I’ve got it right where I want it.  This is good and bad.  I just want to do it again with another sled.

I’m anxious to see what sled I end up tinkering with this summer.  Unless I see something new coming from Cat, it’ll be a Doo.

I've been toying with the idea of putting my HTG 1000 in a AXY chassis, but with the shit winters we have had not sure I need a fourth sled I can't ride. 

I wish I knew how and what to do with shocks myself instead of shipping them out.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I had to stop several times and add pressure.  Jesus.  Like I said...world of difference.  Especially on flatter corners.  The first couple turns puckered my bung up pretty tight...left holes in my seat!  :lol:

I just plain didn't think about it, my other sleds I put adjustable sway bars on but this was the first sled that didn't have one at all.  I had been going over some rough stuff in the field and kept softening the springs then decided it was time to open it up and try it, it worked great right up until I had to turn, it was like slow motion terror I kept leaning and turning and the fence was getting closer and closer then it did turn thankfully.

• Platinum Contributing Member
56 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Not the same here, of course we haven't had a good winter in about 9 years, but lots of riders only want groomed trails. We have back packers here too, we barely ever have more than a foot of snow to ride on.  I built my IQR for rough trails, fuck that shit at my age though.

Ride northern maine like a lot of your PA brothers do.

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ride northern maine like a lot of your PA brothers do.

I have 7 horses can't really getaway for that long, I go Tug Hill for day trips sometimes though.

35 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I just plain didn't think about it, my other sleds I put adjustable sway bars on but this was the first sled that didn't have one at all.  I had been going over some rough stuff in the field and kept softening the springs then decided it was time to open it up and try it, it worked great right up until I had to turn, it was like slow motion terror I kept leaning and turning and the fence was getting closer and closer then it did turn thankfully.

Yuh....it's an eye opener.  RIght away, you know something is VERY, VERY wrong. Like, why is my sled a wave runner now?  :lol: 

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

Cats rear suspension also better than doo

That's a claim I'd have to verify myself.  Even the SC-5 was a great skid..with minor work.  I think the PC skid is better than that but, R-MO level?  hmmm....the slide action has it's advantages though.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yuh....it's an eye opener.  RIght away, you know something is VERY, VERY wrong. Like, why is my sled a wave runner now?  :lol: 

That's a claim I'd have to verify myself.  Even the SC-5 was a great skid..with minor work.  I think the PC skid is better than that but, R-MO level?  hmmm....the slide action has it's advantages though.

SC5 was kinda junk IMO. My X package was bad for being rough on small bumps then would bottom out easy on large bumps.