Check your account email address ×

You crazy Vermont! No more cellphones!

MONTPELIER, Vt. —

A bill seeking to ban the use of cellphones for anyone under the age of 21 was introduced by a Democratic state senator this week as Vermont legislators gathered in Montpelier for the first day of the 2020 legislative session. 

The bill, introduced to the Judiciary Committee by Sen. John Rodgers (Essex-Orleans), would make the possession of a cellphone punishable by up to one year in prison, a $1,000 fine, or both.

While several states have placed a ban on people under 21 years old using their cellphone while driving, none have introduced an all-encompassing age limit.

https://www.wmur.com/article/vermont-bill-would-ban-cellphone-use-for-anyone-under-21/30475725

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Link

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lmao:

The bill, introduced to the Judiciary Committee by Sen. John Rodgers (Essex-Orleans), would make the possession of a cellphone punishable by up to one year in prison, a $1,000 fine, or both.

I think he's only doing it because he is pro gun and is using this bill to serve as a corollary to how ridiculous he thinks the ban on any under 21 owning a firearm is.  So technically, you all should be applauding him.

He knows it won't make it past the judiciary committee.
"I'm not going to push for the bill to pass," he said. "I wouldn't vote for the thing. This is just to make a point."

That point: In Vermont, it's illegal for anyone under 21 to buy a firearm. Rodgers suggested that the same age restrictions should apply to cellphone use.

Edited by XC.Morrison

He actually seems like a pretty interesting guy:

"I'm not a sheep," said Rodgers, who appears perfectly comfortable with his outsider status. Growing up, he said, "The hippies thought I was a redneck and the rednecks thought I was hippie, but I got along with all of them, and it's been sort of the same in the Statehouse. Some of Democrats think I'm a Republican and some of Republicans think I'm a Democrat, and I get along with all of them."

Though he can exasperate his colleagues, "It's impossible not to like him," Baruth said. "He's roguish and charming."

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/in-race-for-governor-sen-john-rodgers-stands-his-ground/Content?oid=18653393