Check your account email address ×

Fed Adds $83.1 Billion in Short-term Money to Markets

We are owed an explanation for this.

I'm less concerned about the actual repo lending which is 24hr loans that are collaterized etc and repaid almost immediately

My concern is the term lending.

This article outlines that half that money was a 2 week loan...

That is fucked and should not be a function of the discount window

We are bailing out someone to the tune of nearly 500 billion in the last 4 weeks and we deserve to know who

• Platinum Contributing Member

Corps continue to borrow money like mad even without a need because of low interest rates.   Jim Cremer was talking about this today.   Bank reserves in turn are low.   He said even apple one of the most cash rich companies in the world is borrowing bigley.

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Corps continue to borrow money like mad even without a need because of low interest rates.   Jim Cremer was talking about this today.   Bank reserves in turn are low.   He said even apple one of the most cash rich companies in the world is borrowing bigley.

This is a direct result of our debt to GDP being at an all time high if you discount ww2.

Interest rates cannot be allowed to rise even modestly or the US cannot service its debt load.

This necessitates corporate borrowing to stay competitive. If your direct competitor is going to spend 1 billion in credit expanding you have no choice but to follow or be stamped out 

33 minutes ago, f7ben said:

We are owed an explanation for this.

I'm less concerned about the actual repo lending which is 24hr loans that are collaterized etc and repaid almost immediately

My concern is the term lending.

This article outlines that half that money was a 2 week loan...

That is fucked and should not be a function of the discount window

We are bailing out someone to the tune of nearly 500 billion in the last 4 weeks and we deserve to know who

I'm sure the banks know who that's why they jacked the interest rate causing the fed to step in. Now if they call out "who" what do you think that does to the market? And it will also put scrutiny on everyone else which could compound a negative market reaction. But yeah not knowing and not telling just makes everyone assume the worst.

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Kind of sucks that we don’t have 8 years worth of threads to look back on. 

All the bitching about debt and quantitive easing lost forever. 

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

At these low rates that is a smarter bet.