Check your account email address ×

Polaris 850 Believe it!!!

4 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Do they spec out a rougher surf finish for gasket sealing?

Yes, usually between 75-125 surface finish is acceptable for gasket surfaces. That however looks like shit. It may be on the very edge of 125 but me personally? I would never leave a production part looking like that. 

Edited by thewayout
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, irv said:

Or possibly a cold seizure? :dunno:

It was surely hot, no doubt about that. But I don't think cold seizure, way to much piston melting for that. Not to mention both pistons are severely f'ed up.

But there is absolutely no oil anywhere. Not even in bottom. If it truely only has 300 miles, the ECU should be just dumping oil in it yet. Not to mention extra fuel during break-in. 

I would be curious as to what pipe and ECU controller if any was on there. Not saying it couldn't have happened from OEM, but that ECU would have to be all sorts of fucked up.

Edited by Legend
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, thewayout said:

Here’s a mercury I6 Verado block and head for surface finish reference. I’m currently doing prop shafts for the 40-60, 75-150, and V8 pro xs motors as we speak. 

906556F2-ACBD-4734-B8B9-35D3B25BBB39.jpeg

F4D47195-8E5D-4533-A23F-41E947A1D0C5.jpeg

That's how it's suppose to look, not like that block in those previous pics. I took machining in High school and there's no way that would have been close to being acceptable way back then, much less in a big business/corporation like Polaris. Zero quality control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, irv said:

That's how it's suppose to look, not like that block in those previous pics. I took machining in High school and there's no way that would have been close to being acceptable way back then, much less in a big business/corporation like Polaris. Zero quality control. 

I’m a big poo guy and I love their axys chassis, but to me this is pretty obvious that QC is poor at best and they are rushing engines out as fast as they can make them to keep up with demand. 

Just now, thewayout said:

I’m a big poo guy and I love their axys chassis, but to me this is pretty obvious that QC is poor at best and they are rushing engines out as fast as they can make them to keep up with demand. 

Instead of Liberty motors they should jsut call them what they are meth motors.   it's what happens when MN meth heads build your motors not the japanese. 

• Haha 1

Just now, thewayout said:

More than likely but it's either a pay now or later scenario. I guess they hope, with their fingers crossed, that many don't come back. That's just brutal and totally unacceptable, imo. 

1 hour ago, thewayout said:

Yes, usually between 75-125 surface finish is acceptable for gasket surfaces. That however looks like shit. It may be on the very edge of 125 but me personally? I would never leave a production part looking like that. 

I was thinking possibly they spec-ed it rough on purpose for gasket sealer? I'm not sure they even use gasket sealer on those tho?

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Instead of Liberty motors they should jsut call them what they are meth motors.   it's what happens when MN meth heads build your motors not the japanese. 

It’s a pretty easy fix TBH. Pay a proper wage to get some good engineers, programmers, and machinists in there. Buy some new equipment and pay a few bucks more an hour to get some decent assembly techs there. It all comes down to investments in people and capital equipment. It will pay the company back long term. 

Also, how about an incentive plan internally for rewarding employees based on QC acceptance numbers and warranty related failure numbers being below a certain %? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thewayout said:

I would assume it's for gasket sealer. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, thewayout said:

It’s a pretty easy fix TBH. Pay a proper wage to get some good engineers, programmers, and machinists in there. Buy some new equipment and pay a few bucks more an hour to get some decent assembly techs there. It all comes down to investments in people and capital equipment. It will pay the company back long term. 

Also, how about an incentive plan internally for rewarding employees based on QC acceptance numbers and warranty related failure numbers being below a certain %? 

Let's be honest here - that's some pretty simple machining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thewayout said:

I want the japanese building my product.  This can apply to motors as well

2 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Not totally sure. The do for the case halves I'm sure though. It good be residue from a paper gasket too. 

Ghetto ass gasket 

Should be metal with a copper layer of sealant

15 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Do they :dunno:

Well I havent personally had an 850 apart but Polaris has not used gasket sealer on the base gasket in at least 30 years prior to now. 

A typical poo base gasket is metal with a copper or silicone seal impregnated into the gasket. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well I havent personally had an 850 apart but Polaris has not used gasket sealer on the base gasket in at least 30 years prior to now. 

A typical poo base gasket is metal with a copper or silicone seal impregnated into the gasket. 

Wouldn't seem like they wouldnt need one for that - but not sure if they used a dash of sealer now if they had previous issues :dunno:

48 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Same here. What they had worked great, I would hope they didn't change it much. 

The base gasket on the 800s is fantastic. I use them over and over. And whatever they use on case halves is very minute. The cases are machined so that you really don't even need sealer. But you certainly don't want too much. 

That machining on the top case to cylinder really doesn't matter that much. The gasket covers that. Just has to be flat.