Check your account email address ×

Justin Trudeau is Doing a Great Job

revrnd

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

I wonder how long the cops would be tearing down a building 1 of us built on public land?

Try putting up something larger than 10 X 10 on your own property without a building permit and see what happens let alone that two story structure they are putting up.

• Thanks 1

Don’t ask how much the carbon tax will cost us, or about finances for First Nations. The Liberals think it’s none of your business.

The most secretive PM ever.

• Thanks 1

From what was said during the report it was indigenous persons that the reporter was hassling. Don't you know that it is 'our land'?

Our family was told that 1 day by a former indigenous resident here in Apsley. The way his life has gone, I think he should get an apology from JT. After a non-motor vehicle accident a few years he's paralyzed & in a wheelchair. He hadn't worked in several years due to his drinking. Same age as me & went to the same school as the rest of my friends.

But it's 'whitey's fault'.

Edited by revrnd

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Don’t ask how much the carbon tax will cost us, or about finances for First Nations. The Liberals think it’s none of your business.

The most secretive PM ever.

I was wondering where he'd reappear after Bell shit canned him from CP24

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

From what was said during the report it was indigenous persons that the reporter was hassling. Don't you know that it is 'our land'?

Our family was told that 1 day by a former indigenous resident here in Apsley. The way his life has gone, I think he should get an apology from JT. After a non-motor vehicle accident a few years he's paralyzed & in a wheelchair. He had worked in several years due to his drinking. Same age as me & went to the same school as the rest of my friends.

But it's 'whitey's fault'.

Of course it is... everything is our fault.

Judy Wallman Trudeau a professional genealogy researcher in southern Ontario was doing some personal work on her own family tree.

She discovered that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s great, great uncle, Remus Trudeau, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Alberta in 1889.

Both Judy and Prime Minister Trudeau share this common ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in the new Alberta territory. On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription:

*“Remus Trudeau horse thief, sent to Alberta Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Alberta Rail Flyer six times. Caught by Royal Canadian Mounted Police detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.”*

So Judy recently e-mailed the Prime Minister for information about their great, great uncle, Remus.

Believe it or not, Prime Minister’s Trudeau’s staff sent this response back.

*Remus Trudeau was a famous cowboy in the Alberta Territory. His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Canadian Pacific railroad. Beginning in 1885, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Royal Canadian Mounted Police . In 1889, Remus passed away suddenly during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.”*

Fake News??? But the spin sounds real!!!

• Haha 1

So boy blunder has now chosen the side of NATO allies over USA president Trump in the Iran sanctions.

When will Butts or anyone else explain that the USA is far more important to Canada then say Germany or France.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What are we gonna apologize for today?:lol:

You asked... in the news yesterday

Hopefully he won't feel the need to seek out their families and pay them large sums of cash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-apology-st-louis-1.4654516

Trudeau to offer formal apology in Commons for fate of Jewish refugee ship MS St. Louis

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will deliver another official apology in the House of Commons, this time over the fate of the MS St. Louis.

In 1939, Canada turned away 907 German Jews seeking asylum; 254 later lost their lives in the Holocaust

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

So boy blunder has now chosen the side of NATO allies over USA president Trump in the Iran sanctions.

When will Butts or anyone else explain that the USA is far more important to Canada then say Germany or France.

You want us to be a lap dog :dunno:  

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

You asked... in the news yesterday

Hopefully he won't feel the need to seek out their families and pay them large sums of cash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-apology-st-louis-1.4654516

Trudeau to offer formal apology in Commons for fate of Jewish refugee ship MS St. Louis

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will deliver another official apology in the House of Commons, this time over the fate of the MS St. Louis.

In 1939, Canada turned away 907 German Jews seeking asylum; 254 later lost their lives in the Holocaust

Guess who the PM @ the time was? I wonder if that has anything to do with it taking over 2 years to address this seeing as he's apologized for pretty much for everything else that has happened during Canada's past?

Will he apologize for 'The Battle of Christie Pits'?

Edited by revrnd

55 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Guess who the PM @ the time was? I wonder if that has anything to do with it taking over 2 years to address this seeing as he's pretty much for everything else that has happened during Canada's past?

Will he apologize for 'The Battle of Christie Pits'?

I wonder what he would have to say about the War of 1812... perhaps he should apologize to Trump. After all we did burn down the White House at the time. Maybe we should pay them for the cost of the rebuild plus accumulated interest.

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

Nice prepared answer from Carr. Mind you it was refreshing to see my MP in the house. Maybe Candace could've asked her how the Carbon Tax will affect women (and those that identify as female)?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/05/09/formal-apologies-may-be-most-useful-not-for-the-oppressed-but-for-the-clueless.html

Formal apologies may be most useful not for the oppressed, but for the clueless

Trudeau’s apology to the Jews for the fate of MS St. Louis may be kind of ridiculous so long after the fact, but it may serve a useful purpose for those who aren’t even aware a wrong took place. 

Since its release in 1970, many people (married ones especially) have taken issue with the signature line from the hit movie Love Story: “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” But I imagine the person most constitutionally averse to this notion is Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a man who says sorry more often than a Canadian tourist in a crowded airport.

Where his Prime Minister father, the late Pierre Trudeau, wasn’t a fan of state-issued apologies, our rueful leader appears quite comfortable doling them out.

The PM has made a series of official apologies addressing various historical wrongs since he took office in 2015. Two years ago, for example, he issued an apology for the 1914 Komagata Maru incident, in which hundreds of Sikh, Muslim and Hindu passengers were unjustly turned away at the Canadian border. Their Japanese steamship returned to India, where 19 passengers were shot and killed upon arrival and many others imprisoned. 

Last year, the PM issued an apology to survivors of Canada’s residential schools. He also asked the Pope himself to apologize for the church’s role in operating the notoriously exploitative, abusive institutions. (Unfortunately, the pope declined).

And just this week the PM announced plans to formally apologize on behalf of the Canadian government, in the House of Commons, for the tragic incident of the MS St. Louis in 1939, when Canada refused asylum to the more than 900 Jewish German refugees on board. The MS St. Louis was forced to return to Europe, where 254 of its passengers were later murdered in the Holocaust.

“When Canada denied asylum to the 907 German Jews on board the MS St. Louis,” Trudeau said in a recent statement, “we failed not only those passengers, but also their descendants and community. It is our collective responsibility to acknowledge this difficult truth, learn from this story, and continue to fight against anti-Semitism every day, as we give meaning to the solemn vow: ‘Never again.’ I look forward to offering this apology on the floor of the House.”

Unfortunately, not everybody is looking forward to hearing it.

Many critics of the Prime Minister, some of them Jewish, are a little annoyed by the prospect of a staged mea culpa that will address a tragic event whose victims are, by and large, not around to receive it. Some of these formal apologies are, after all, rather bizarre, because the people saying “I’m sorry” are so rarely the wrongdoers and the people saying “I forgive you” are rarely the wronged. As a result, they can come off as cheap and hollow, even to the ears of the people you think might appreciate them most.

Here’s Sally Zerker, whose Jewish, Polish ancestors were denied visas to Canada in the 1930’s, writing about the prospect of a government apology for the MS. St. Louis tragedy in the Canadian Jewish News last year:

“It will not bring back my relatives, or offer me any solace. Instead, it will whitewash a government that did nothing to help the Jews who were fleeing the Nazis and ignored the type of anti-Semitism that was endemic in Canada until the 1970s. Ultimately, it is nothing but a shallow, empty, meaningless act. An apology can’t right this wrong.”

But it can publicize it. And this is where I disagree with Zerker and other critics of government apologies. We’re living in a world where the United States government appears allergic to facts and routinely winks at white supremacists. A world where the leaders of the women’s march, arguably the largest feminist movement on the continent, can pal around with horrendous anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan and retain their status as heroines of an intersectional movement.

A world where, according to the Anti Defamation League, anti-Semitic hate crimes — from violent assaults, to Jewish kids being harassed at school, to vandalism of synagogues — surged 57 per cent last year. Meanwhile, according to a survey released on Holocaust Remembrance Day (Jan. 27) this year, 22 per cent of American millennials haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are unsure of what it is, and two-thirds do not know what Auschwitz is.

All of this is to say that while I agree with Trudeau’s critics that formal apologies are sometimes silly and performative — and perhaps lacking in meaning for some victims and their families — they are also factual and newsworthy. They breathe new life into old wrongs and in doing so they bring awareness to those wrongs. 

It’s for this reason that I find it difficult to object to a perfectly harmless government statement that might, even if it doesn’t heal any wounds, inspire an uninformed Canadian to Google “MS St. Louis.”

It’s a sorry thing to say, but formal apologies may be most useful not for the oppressed, but for the clueless.

I'm not sure but others on here, but I was taught about the 2 ships being turned away from Canada in Grade 10 history (mid-70s).

31 minutes ago, 02sled said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tories-want-action-against-self-confessed-isis-recruit-reportedly-living-in-toronto-1.3926046

So now we have a self confesses ISIS assassin allegedly living in Toronto. He's just a misguided youth and a hug from Trudope will cure everything.

I wonder how much this will cost us?