Check your account email address ×

Ford Romeo Engine plant closing

• Platinum Contributing Member

@SVT MXZ XRS  This isn't your plant is it? I know you live right there but not sure which location you work at

Ford will close Romeo Engine Plant as part of tentative agreement with UAW

https://www.wxyz.com/news/ford-will-close-romeo-engine-plant-as-part-of-tentative-agreement-with-uaw

20 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

sad, they had a great history and made many solid engines.

Yeah it would be but at least that's the only one that might close for Ford. 

25 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

@SVT MXZ XRS  This isn't your plant is it? I know you live right there but not sure which location you work at

Ford will close Romeo Engine Plant as part of tentative agreement with UAW

https://www.wxyz.com/news/ford-will-close-romeo-engine-plant-as-part-of-tentative-agreement-with-uaw

No

3 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

No

That's good for you at least but i feel for those who do work there. Any idea why they might do this? Fords push to go electric?

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Sucks if that is his plant.  I hope seniority travels with him to the new plant as well if he has to move. 

They threw a lot of money in there over the last couple years if i recalls correctly,  seems silly  

It would if I had to go somewhere else, thankfully I'm not at Romeo.

They ( and not just Ford) do that a lot.  They dumped a ton of $ into Wixom, Atlanta and Van Dyke Transmission. All 3 were too quality plants.  Wixom and Atlanta are both closed, and VD is cutting production with the shift away from small cars to more trucks, SUVs and CUVs. 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

good to hear

:bc: TY 👍🏼 

9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

That's good for you at least but i feel for those who do work there. Any idea why they might do this? Fords push to go electric?

Their trades will have to transfer out to other plants when there is openings. Lot of high seniority guys at Romeo. There will be buyouts.  Most will take them. The lower seniority guys already have moved to VD and my plant. In my trade they brought in I believe 9. And out of those 9 ,I only  have 1 under me. Same with when they closed Utica and Chesterfield. Between those 2 plants we took in 10 and everyone if them has more time in trades than I do.  I just hit 21 years in September and in June I will have 17 on trades.

As far as their production employees go, it's going to be a mess.  Luckily they don't have many there anymore. Lots will take buyouts.  That plant was at a very low capacity.  They've been waiting in new work that's been promised to them but unfortunately they won't be getting it.  They've had lots of empty floor space for a while.  Lots of outsourcing has caused this. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Their trades will have to transfer out to other plants when there is openings. Lot of high seniority guys at Romeo. There will be buyouts.  Most will take them. The lower seniority guys already have moved to VD and my plant. In my trade they brought over I believe 9. And out of those 9 ,I only  have 1 under me. Same with when they closed Utica and Chesterfield. Between those 2 plants we took in 10 and everyone if them has more time in trades than I do.  I just hit 21 years in September and in June I will have 17 on trades.

As far as their production employees go, it's going to be a mess.  Luckily they don't have many there anymore. Lots will take buyouts.  That plant was at a very low capacity.  They've been waiting in new work that's been promised to them but unfortunately they won't be getting it.  They've had lots of empty floor space for a while.  Lots of outsourcing has caused this. 

I had always wondered how much came out of that plant since thru the years, lately at least, I've never seen a lot of activity surrounding it. Glad your unaffected  :bc: 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Jay is an asshole but glad his job and livelihood won’t be affected. :thumbsup:😋

We're all assholes here to one extent or another :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I had always wondered how much came out of that plant since thru the years, lately at least, I've never seen a lot of activity surrounding it.

Glad your unaffected  :bc: 

It's a shame they are going to be closing it.  Such a great area and growing fast.  They were supposed to be building a new Meijer right across from it on the S side or 32.  Probably not going to happen now. :dunno:

:bc:

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

It's a shame they are going to be closing it.  Such a great area and growing fast.  They were supposed to be building a new Meijer right across from it on the S side or 32.  Probably not going to happen now. :dunno:

:bc:

I remember when my best friend growing up, who lived 2 doors down from me ,moved to Mound and 32 mile back in the late 80's. That whole are has slowly grown since then. Was the Meijer supposed to go right where the old golf course is?

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I remember when my best friend growing up, who lived 2 doors down from me ,moved to Mound and 32 mile back in the late 80's. That whole are has slowly grown since then. Was the Meijer supposed to go right where the old golf course is?

It's growing even more.  All up and down Mound and Campground is getting built up. I've been out here almost 5 years and it's grown a lot since I've been here.  All along Mound along Greystone is build built up. Homes starting in the $750K range and up. 

Yep.  There's all kinds of vacant land there. Will be even more if they demolish Romeo Engine :flush:

53 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

It's growing even more.  All up and down Mound and Campground is getting built up. I've been out here almost 5 years and it's grown a lot since I've been here.  All along Mound along Greystone is build built up. Homes starting in the $750K range and up. 

Yep.  There's all kinds of vacant land there. Will be even more if they demolish Romeo Engine :flush:

Sad, driven by that plant many a time.  Yes, I remember there being some rather nice homes just to the west of there.  Outside of Barb's reach. 

57 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I member when Greystone was still a gravel pit and Mound Road was still dirt from 29 mile south. Now like you mentioned it's all large homes popping up. Some of those pits where great to have summer parties at back in the day. Great area :bc:  

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sad, driven by that plant many a time. 

Yes, I remember there being some rather nice homes just to the west of there.  Outside of Barb's reach. 

Yes it is  

:lol: yea there's some monsters out this way.  You ever heard of Art and Jake's bar?   One of the owners just built a big one not to far from me. On Mound just N of 28.  Full basketball court, volleyball nice landscaping.  Built it in like 8-9 months.  Wanted it done for a grad party and 4th of July I guess and said he would pay a big bonus to get it done by then. I drove by it many times in my way home from work when 53 N is a mess.  There was always multiple trades there working.  I'll have to get a pic of it next time I'm by there 

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I member when Greystone was still a gravel pit and Mound Road was still dirt from 29 mile south. Now like you mentioned it's all large homes popping up. Some of those pits where great to have summer parties at back in the day. Great area :bc:  

Oh I do too.  We use to ride dirtbikes and quads from my buddies parents on 29 mile over there and ride. My inlaws use to live at 25 and Shelby.  We use to go off roading in the sub when it was all woods.  Now it's all 3K+ SQ ft homes.    I remember when Hall Rd was a 2 lane road. Now it's 5 on each side. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Oh I do too.  We use to ride dirtbikes and quads from my buddies parents on 29 mile over there and ride. My inlaws use to live at 25 and Shelby.  We use to go off roading in the sub when it was all woods.  Now it's all 3K+ SQ ft homes.    I remember when Hall Rd was a 2 lane road. Now it's 5 on each side. 

Yep I grew up right next to Lakeside Mall back when Hall road was two lanes. Now it's the "Golden Corridor"  :lol: I won't go near that area anymore unless i really have to. Way too congested for me anymore. I'll be out near the Proving grounds in a few weeks for Thanksgiving...Chase Farms

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Ford is going out of business... 

GM Is going to buy them out and Polaris will buy out Cat  :snack:

Edited by Skidooski
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sad, driven by that plant many a time.  Yes, I remember there being some rather nice homes just to the west of there.  Outside of Barb's reach. 

being barb is a nigger he would be forced to live at 8 mile. Not that he could afford the rent there either. maybe squat in an abandoned house???

• Haha 2