Check your account email address ×

No charges filed against mother in Cincinnati Zoo case

CINCINNATI —A prosecutor said Monday that he isn't seeking charges against the mother of a 3-year-old boy who got into the Cincinnati Zoo's gorilla exhibit, resulting in the shooting of an endangered gorilla to protect him.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said the child's mother had three other children with her, and she was attending to them when the 3-year-old "just scampered off" on May 28.

The Cincinnati police had investigated the family's actions.

Legal experts had said that prosecution on child endangerment or similar charges seems unlikely. The family has declined to comment.

The zoo plans to reopen its Gorilla World on Tuesday with a higher, reinforced barrier. The boy apparently climbed over the outer barrier before falling some 15 feet into a shallow moat. A special response team shot and killed the 17-year-old western lowland gorilla named Harambe to protect the boy.

The zoo's role will be reviewed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which enforces the Animal Welfare Act. An animal protection watchdog group has urged that the zoo face federal fines.

The shooting caused a wide outpouring of criticism, blaming the boy's parents or the zoo for the gorilla death. A Cincinnati police spokesman said last week police planned to "reach out" to the boy's mother to advise her of threatening language in some posts.

The zoo said that there had been no earlier breaches in Gorilla World's 38-year history and that the previous barrier had passed multiple inspections by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which accredits zoos. Zoo spokeswoman Michelle Curley said the outer barrier will now be 42 inches high - a half foot taller than before - with solid wood beams on top and at the bottom, plus knotted rope netting at the bottom.

A Cincinnati police report identified the boy's mother as Michelle Gregg, 32, who works at a preschool near Cincinnati. The child's father isn't named in the report, and it's not clear whether he was at the zoo that day.

The boy's family has said he is doing well at home. Police said he had scrapes on his head and knee, but was alert and talking when rescued.

University of Dayton law professor Lori Shaw said earlier that child endangering cases are complicated and fact-specific. She said Ohio law requires that the defendant be found "reckless" and to have exposed a child to "substantial risk," or a strong possibility of harm.

Police released 911 tapes of calls after the boy fell.

"He's dragging my son! I can't watch this!" a woman says in the 911 call, pleading for help. She shouts at her son repeatedly: "Be calm!"

A record of police calls shows nine minutes passed between the first emergency call about the boy falling into the enclosure and when the child was safe.

The police report states that witnesses said the gorilla initially appeared to be protecting the child, but after onlookers started screaming, it became "agitated and scared" and began dragging the child.

The boy's family has expressed gratitude to the zoo for protecting his life.

58 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I figured the mother would be the one to sue the zoo.  Anyways, no reason to keep these animals unless they are rescued and can't integrate back into the wild.

I don't like zoos either but the onus was on the zoo to protect the viewing public ,I'm sure you could agree to that.:bc:

So the fence was only 36 inches tall?  Is that correct?  WTF!  The zoo is 100% at fault for this, and I can't see how it passed any inspections with a dangerous animal with only a 36" high fence to keep people out.  The new fence is to be 42", WTF make that fucker 12 feet tall.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'd bet there is literally thousands of places in State and National parks where kids could easily fall to their deaths at overlooks.   Its not the Zoo's fault its the parents plain and simple.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I'd bet there is literally thousands of places in State and National parks where kids could easily fall to their deaths at overlooks.   Its not the Zoo's fault its the parents plain and simple.  

That's way two diff things. It is the zoos fault..they have to protect the general public and the animals from each other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

A zoo is a controlled atmosphere, a state park is wildlife.

On 6/6/2016 at 3:00 PM, Capt.Storm said:

A 3 year old should not have been able to get the hell in there in the first place.

Both are at fault.  A parent should keep better control of a 3 year old. 

The woman who shot the video said she heard the boy tell his mom multiple times that he was going in there. All the mother said was "you better not" , and then obviously turned her back on him 

And yes it was only a 3' fence because it was a 15' drop down to the gorillas   The fence was plenty high enough. Common sense says stay behind the fence, and keep youe kids behind it also.

All zoos should be closed IMO  and animals should no longer be kept in captivity since people can't leave them alone , even in captivity 

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Both are at fault.  A parent should keep better control if a 3 year old. 

The woman who shot the video said she heard the boy tell his mom multiple times that he was going in there. All the mother said was "you better not" , and then obviously turned her back on him 

And yes it was only a 3' fence because it was a 15' drop down to the gorillas   The fence was plenty high enough. Common sense says stay behind the fence, and keep youe kids behind it also.

Nope you're wrong..it's all on the zoo.

You sound like a lib!

Nope it's not all the zoos fault old man. Parents have a responsibility to keep control of their kids. 

Far from it. You're the one who sounds  like the lib, blaming someone else for their actions 

3 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

Nope you're wrong..it's all on the zoo.

You sound like a lib!

Sorry but you do on this.   Libs never think anyone should be responsible for anything except the wealthy.   :lmao:

There are plenty of dangerous places for 4 year olds that all it takes is a bit of parental supervision for them to be safe.  Kid can walk away from mom and dad at the mall and end up in a world of hurt.  How about crossing the street?  We can't protect everyone from themselves.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Nope it's not all the zoos fault old man. Parents have a responsibility to keep control of their kids. 

Far from it. You're the one who sounds  like the lib, blaming someone else for their actions 

The legal part is on the zoo.

They could be sued..it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Sorry but you do on this.   Libs never think anyone should be responsible for anything except the wealthy.   :lmao:

I :lol: too when I read that 

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

The legal part is on the zoo.

They could be sued..it is what it is.

And the zoo could sue them as well. 

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

You're an idiot plain and simple. 

1 minute ago, Capt.Storm said:

anybody can try and sue anybody..right. 

I'm sure there are signs posted all over the zoo to stay off of things and stay out of exhibits.  Its the parents responsibility to make sure their kids do so.   They are lucky they didn't get sued.   

3 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I'm sure there are signs posted all over the zoo to stay off of things and stay out of exhibits.  Its the parents responsibility to make sure their kids do so.   They are lucky they didn't get sued.   

Hey kids can get away that's why it's on the zoo to have a safe environment.

I mean a 3 year old breached a fenced area where a silver back lives...WTF!

Edited by Capt.Storm

4 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

You're an idiot plain and simple. 

How is that so different?

overlook-grand-canyon-south-rim-4162218.jpg

2 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

It's hard to believe anyone can be this stupid. You must be a closet liberal