Check your account email address ×

Migrant Deaths

President of El Salvador Says Migrant Deaths in Rio Grande Are ‘Our Fault’

President Nayib Bukele of El Salvador shaking hands with a congressman in San Salvador, the capital, last month.CreditJose Cabezas/Reuters
merlin_155895297_fce5feef-67f6-4ddb-901d

ImagePresident Nayib Bukele of El Salvador shaking hands with a congressman in San Salvador, the capital, last month.
President Nayib Bukele of El Salvador shaking hands with a congressman in San Salvador, the capital, last month.CreditCreditJose Cabezas/Reuters
  • July 1, 2019
    •  
    •  
    •  

MEXICO CITY — The new president of El Salvador said that his country was to blame for driving tens of thousands of its citizens to emigrate every year, including a father and daughter who became a focal point in the migration debate when they drowned while trying to cross into the United States last week.

“People don’t flee their homes because they want to,” President Nayib Bukele said Sunday at a news conference in San Salvador, the capital of El Salvador. “They flee their homes because they feel they have to.”

“They fled El Salvador, they fled our country,” he continued. “It is our fault.”

Mr. Bukele’s statements came in response to questions from reporters about the deaths of the father and daughter, and about what he intended to do to address the economic and security concerns that have pushed so many Salvadorans to leave the country and try to reach the United States.

His comments were remarkable in a region where political leaders have been loath to assume any responsibility for the social and political dynamics that drive migration and have generally paid lip service to the idea that conditions must improve at home to encourage people to stay.

There are nearly 1.4 million Salvadorans — the equivalent of about one-fifth of the country’s population — living in the United States, according to the Migration Policy Institute.

Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez, 25, and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria, drowned during their attempt to cross the Rio Grande from Mexico to the United States.CreditJulia Le Duc/Associated Press
01salvador2-articleLarge-v3.jpg?quality=

ImageÓscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez, 25, and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria, drowned during their attempt to cross the Rio Grande from Mexico to the United States.
Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez, 25, and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria, drowned during their attempt to cross the Rio Grande from Mexico to the United States.CreditJulia Le Duc/Associated Press

Migration from El Salvador, and its perils, were highlighted last week with the publication of a photograph of the corpses of the young father and his daughter — Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez, 25, and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria — who were found lying face down in the Rio Grande, between Mexico and the United States.

Their bodies were returned to El Salvador on Sunday and are reportedly scheduled to be buried in a private ceremony on Monday.

In his comments on Sunday, Mr. Bukele, who took office a month ago, acknowledged the two main forces driving so many of his citizens to take their chances on a perilous migration north in search of a better life: insecurity and economic duress.

“They feel safer crossing a desert, three frontiers, and all of the things that may happen in the road to the United States because they feel that’s more secure than living here,” he said. “So we want to make our country safer.”

He also vowed to address the poverty and lack of employment opportunities that so many migrants cite as their reason for fleeing.

“We will make a country that is more prosperous and that can provide decent paying jobs for all of our people,” he said. “If people have an opportunity for a decent job, a decent education, a decent health care system and security, I know that forceful migration will be reduced to zero.”

1 minute ago, Pete said:

ask him yourself

I did. 

Matthew 25:34-36
Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’

8 minutes ago, Anler said:

I did. 

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’

feel better now?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Anler said:

But for sure shoot them at the border after they are born, right? 

Yeah cause that's happening.  :lol:  

• Platinum Contributing Member

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I did. 

:pc:

Huh, break the law you go to prison.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Well, I heard El Salvador is also to blame for Venezuela. So, he needs to eat that too!!

Fuck that shit

its always all our fault 

ask jimmy boy and his merry clan of shitbags