Check your account email address ×

Plastic cam gear on John Deere 425.

9 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Looks like there might be a Youtube video on it, maybe a few?  

Probably isn't any more difficult then any other 4 smoker motor.

I'd take it home and clean it up good on the workbench while I was at it.  

It looks like I can pull the front cover with simple removal of the muffler and battery. The unit has 1200 hours. No leaks anywhere and runs good otherwise. 

56 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Anyone gone through the task of replacing one? Son in law has a tractor with a fracture gear. I’m considering taking the motor out and home with me to rework. 

Is that a Koehler engine?

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Kawasaki. I just yanked the motor. It came out in under 30 minutes. 

Cool

I have a kawi in my JD 335GX. It’s been flawless but did a have a problem with it skipping. The rockers had too much lash. 

Well good luck fixing it. Nice to see you can handle this most can’t 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It looks like I can pull the front cover with simple removal of the muffler and battery. The unit has 1200 hours. No leaks anywhere and runs good otherwise. 

Thats a nice little tractor.  I think its the predecessor to the x730 I have now.  Mine has the 25 hp Kawie liquid v twin, i think that 425 has the same motor as that Wheel Horse I used to have.  Quality units.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Cool

I have a kawi in my JD 335GX. It’s been flawless but did a have a problem with it skipping. The rockers had too much lash. 

Well good luck fixing it. Nice to see you can handle this most can’t 

It’s a simple design. I’ll crack it open and install the cam kit and water pump. OEM parts kit is about $350. Includes all the necessary hardware and gaskets. 

21 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s a simple design. I’ll crack it open and install the cam kit and water pump. OEM parts kit is about $350. Includes all the necessary hardware and gaskets. 

Good on the OEM stuff. Can’t beat it 

56 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Thats a nice little tractor.  I think its the predecessor to the x730 I have now.  Mine has the 25 hp Kawie liquid v twin, i think that 425 has the same motor as that Wheel Horse I used to have.  Quality units.

If I remember correctly you had JD 345 liquid back many years ago?

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Anyone gone through the task of replacing one? Son in law has a tractor with a fracture gear. I’m considering taking the motor out and home with me to rework. 

go with the steel gear replacement kit includes new valve stronger springs, plastic gear uses lighter springs, spend the money worth it...….did mine with motor in tractor

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

go with the steel gear replacement kit includes new valve stronger springs, plastic gear uses lighter springs, spend the money worth it...….did mine with motor in tractor

Thanks. Looks like the entire kit is about $300. I’ll replace the water pump while in in there. It’s only $50. The kids should be able to get a lot more use out of the tractor after the new cam kit. Everything else on the tractor is in good shape. It’s worth it. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Thanks. Looks like the entire kit is about $300. I’ll replace the water pump while in in there. It’s only $50. The kids should be able to get a lot more use out of the tractor after the new cam kit. Everything else on the tractor is in good shape. It’s worth it. 

I've had 2 of those motors apart, the 1 in my old Mule is basically the same and had to put new gaskets in that

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, spin_dry said:

This is why you don't buy a Deere.

Just now, ckf said:

what would it retail for regularly for that motor?

I just did a cam on a 37hp big block Kawi. Retail on the cam was $189, my cost was $112. Wore the lobe right off the cam.. The guy always surges his engine, just sticks forward as fast as he can.

@spin_dry, make sure you get your torque specs for everything.

This is what Deere does and why I say don't ever buy one. They go to Kawi, Kohler, Briggs and say we want 25k of this engine, but we want them spec'd to us and a few changes made, in turn the engine mfg will free and clear of all warranties for that engine. Deere will handle all warranties and parts for said engines. They do this so they can double the price in parts..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

This is what Deere does and why I say don't ever buy one. They go to Kawi, Kohler, Briggs and say we want 25k of this engine, but we want them spec'd to us and a few changes made, in turn the engine mfg will free and clear of all warranties for that engine. Deere will handle all warranties and parts for said engines. They do this so they can double the price in parts..

Damn...no kidding. That's pretty lame. 

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Damn...no kidding. That's pretty lame. 

Extremely, especially when people call you because you're listed as a kohler, kawi, and Briggs distributor and they give you their engine #'s, I log into Kawi or who ever, type in the model and spec, nothing comes up, I ask if it's on. JD, and they say yeah, and I say well sorry you have to go to a JD dealer for that. And then they get all fucking pissed off at me because they bought a piece of shit..

One thing JD does and does well is hide their fucking parts.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

That was another major factor in my decision. Plus the Cub Cadet dealer acted like they wanted my business. Rob had told me about this dealer when I was looking for a snow blower a few years back. He told me that they were an excellent dealer to deal with, but that service comes at a price. It costs me $200 more to my door over the JD, but having a dealer that wanted my business was worth it.

Edited by ckf
typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ckf said:

That was another major factor in my decision. Plus the Cub Cadet dealer acted like they wanted my business. Rob had told me about this dealer when I was looking for a snow blower a few years back. He told me that they were an excellent dealer to deal with, but that service comes at a price. It costs me $200 more to my do over the JD, but having a dealer that wanted my business was worth it.

Exactly, and anything you need for that I can look up in 30 seconds with the #'s. Parts are readily available for it..Was a smart purchase to go with the Cub.

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Exactly, and anything you need for that I can look up in 30 seconds with the #'s. Parts are readily available for it..Was a smart purchase to go with the Cub.

I know I was only looking for a $2000 lawn tractor, but I always tried to treat every customer the same. It didn't matter if they were looking at a $40 paddle, or a $4000 composite boat. I was always taught that the $40 paddle might turn in to that $4000 boat someday if you treat them right :dunno: 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I know I was only looking for a $2000 lawn tractor, but I always tried to treat every customer the same. It didn't matter if they were looking at a $40 paddle, or a $4000 composite boat. I was always taught that the $40 paddle might turn in to that $4000 boat someday if you treat them right :dunno: 

Truth!

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

Capital BINGO.   :bc: 

• Like 1