Check your account email address ×

Trump says he will increase tariffs on Chinese goods on Friday as he complains about pace of talks

Trump says he will increase tariffs on Chinese goods on Friday as he complains about pace of talks

Last edited Sun May 5, 2019, 01:22 PM - Edit history (1)
Source: Washington Post

President Trump said on Sunday that he will increase tariffs on Chinese imports on Friday, unexpectedly setting what appears to be a new deadline to produce a comprehensive deal or trigger an escalation of the U.S.-China trade war. Just days before Chinese negotiators are scheduled to arrive in Washington, the president threatened to increase existing tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to 25 percent from 10 percent and levy a new 25 percent fee on all remaining Chinese imports. 

In a pair of tweets, Trump accused China of trying to “renegotiate” terms of an agreement that negotiators have been racing to finish for the past five months. Chinese Vice Premier Liu He is scheduled to arrive in Washington on May 8 for what had been billed as potentially the concluding rounds of bargaining. 

U.S. officials have said they hoped to wrap up a sweeping deal soon, but Trump’s abrupt intervention adds a volatile new element to the end game. “The Trade Deal with China continues, but too slowly, as they attempt to renegotiate. No!” the president tweeted shortly after noon on Sunday. 

The office of the U.S. Trade Representative, Robert E. Lighthizer, had no immediate response to a request for comment.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/trump-says-he-will-increase-tariffs-on-chinese-goods-on-friday-as-he-complains-about-pace-of-trade-talks/2019/05/05/774c2e92-6f53-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html

21 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

25%.... lol the orange shitgibbon will bankrupt the country like he bankrupted all his businesses

All his businesses :lol: there is no bigger moron hack shitforbrains on the planet than you 

35 minutes ago, Momorider said:

All his businesses :lol: there is no bigger moron hack shitforbrains on the planet than you 

Not currently on this forum.  That’s for sure.

17 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Confusing times for MC.

Not really.  Several hours of CNN flowed by extensive DU reading a day and...it’s all figured out for him.

Her we go. Market is gonna' take a huge shit, and it will take months, if not fukken years  to recover. 

THE MARKET SUCKS!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Her we go. Market is gonna' take a huge shit, and it will take months, if not fukken years  to recover. 

THE MARKET SUCKS!!!!!!

Change your undies.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Change your undies.

Nah, I'm sick of this shit. I'm too old to be worryin' about all this crap. 

Bill Gates farts...………...the market drops.

Warren Buffet sells some stock...……….the market drops.

Interest rates get adjusted...……………...the market drops.

Trump has a hissy-fit...……………………..the market drops. 

Our country and politics are simply too UNSTABLE, and too VOLATILE. 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Pick a Chinese product and (tax) tariff it. OR be a moron and tariff everything we buy from China.

I will take the second option . and 25% sounds good . I want none of it all fucking junk .

tell me pampers when was the last time you were out shopping and said oh if only there was a China option for this thing so I could save 2 bucks and only have to worry  about it working as long as I keep it in the box .

12 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Nah, I'm sick of this shit. I'm too old to be worryin' about all this crap. 

Bill Gates farts...………...the market drops.

Warren Buffet sells some stock...……….the market drops.

Interest rates get adjusted...……………...the market drops.

Trump has a hissy-fit...……………………..the market drops. 

Our country and politics are simply too UNSTABLE, and too VOLATILE. 

Im hoping the strength in the US economy has more depth than Trump's tweets.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

LOt more work then I wanted to do in the winter , and that's the only time I did it.

Have a cousin who does well not on shorts but momentum plays and khows what sectors are hot when.  Not my cut of tea but nevertheless.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Have a cousin who does well not on shorts but momentum plays and khows what sectors are hot when.  Not my cut of tea but nevertheless.

One can do well by just picking 10-15  Learn everything about them . How they react to their own news, how they react to sector news. And don't get greedy. Pigs get fat , hogs get slaughtered.

OK, everybody. Ask yourself, who do you PERSONALLY KNOW that has made a lot of money in the market!!

How long were they invested?

How much TOTAL PROFIT did they make? 

Did they have any problem with the crash of 2008, or the big drop we had a while ago? 

Did they have ANY PROBLEM when they lost 45% of their portfolio...……...OVERNIGHT!!!