Check your account email address ×

Moral posit...

Just now, Zambroski said:

No.  It only works if it is hypothetical.

Huh?

They are thought experiments that are obviously hypothetical.

What is the difference between wanting your child to be happy irrespective of you feelings, and wanting someone to live irrespective of your feelings?

Neal

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

If I intentionally killed someone I would not do well with it. If I did not mean to kill someone and I did I would be very very bad with it.

As for my kids, I would rather they actually do well despite my misgivings, with ones on children its not always about making the self feel better.

Are they in conflict? I guess so. Still thats the way Id rather have it.

:bc:

Honest response.  

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member

Anyone who would rather think their kids are doing good over have them actually doing good is an idiot and shouldn't be a parent.   About as selfish as it gets. 

7 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Huh?

They are thought experiments that are obviously hypothetical.

What is the difference between wanting your child to be happy irrespective of you feelings, and wanting someone to live irrespective of your feelings?

Neal

That wasn’t the question.  And it’s deeper from a psychological perspective even if it was.  One is concerning “your child” and the other is concerning “someone”.  

Would you rather think that lug height effects final drive ratio when it really doesn’t. Or would you rather have lug height effect final drive ratio, but believe it doesn’t? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Would you rather think that lug height effects final drive ratio when it really doesn’t. Or would you rather have lug height effect final drive ratio, but believe it doesn’t? 

Sweet fuck!

:lol:

Just now, Zambroski said:

That wasn’t the question.  And it’s deeper from a physiological perspective than that even if it was.  One is concerning “your child” and the other is concerning “someone”.  

I understand that, but your reply was that you wanted your child to be happy for their own sake, thus irrespective of your feelings.  Why would you not extend that to "someone".

Neal

5 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

And the first?

Neal

Honestly I can't answer without more details on the cause of death.  

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I understand that, but your reply was that you wanted your child to be happy for their own sake, thus irrespective of your feelings.  Why would you not extend that to "someone".

Neal

Live and let die.....they started it!!!!

:lol:

12 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Does it matter?

It's a thought experiment designed to get you to think about what your moral landscape is.

Neal

Of course it does.  We make moral decisions based on circumstances. 

We approve of people killing in self defense, but not out of anger.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Honestly I can't answer without more details on the cause of death.  

They are just hypothetical morality questions.  In other words, concerning the first, are your feelings worth more to you that someone else’s life is to you?

I think your answer is no.  And YES!  :lol:

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Ok...

Neal

If the killing was justified 1.   Not...2.    I'd rather think I killed someone and didn't if they didn't deserve it.    Better I think it than an innocent person actually be dead. 

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Would you rather kill someone and not remember it, or think that you had killed someone but not actually done it?

For a softer version, would you rather your children do well in their school/education, but you think they don't, or that they do poorly but you think they do well?

Neal

Both scenarios suck.

But I guess I'd have to take the hit on both. 

Think I'd killed someone even though I hadn't and have them do well even though I think they aren't. Wouldn't they be pissed?