Check your account email address ×

Fuck me

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It's time to take my dads car away.

Anyone ever had to deal with this before?

My father will soon turn 80 so I know the time is coming, which of course, like you, I am not looking forward too. I did a quick Google search and there is some good info within like this one. Good luck. :bc:

How to Tell Your Aging Parent to Stop Driving
  1. Start talking about it early. If you can help it, don't just spring the news on them out of nowhere. ...
  2. Give them the chance to take the test. ...
  3. Explain the risks. ...
  4. Emphasize that it's not just about them. ...
  5. Be stern – it's not a negotiation. ...
  6. Provide alternatives.

https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2015/07/how-to-tell-your-aging-parent-to-stop-driving/

Edited by irv

Yes I have. My mother who is gone now was never that good of a driver to begin with so she had to come off the road. We just started to drive her around and after a few years her license expired and that was that.  My Dad is the opposite as he still drives during the day (tough for him to see in the dark)  at age 93.  I don't at this point see a time where he will not drive but time will tell.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Yep. My father in law. He’s passed on now. A doctor at the VA reported him to DOT so it spared the family his rage. Even after his license was pulled he continued to sneak out in the mornings. He’d head down to A&W for their breakfast and to flirt with the young ladies. I went through the house and found 20some sets of duplicate car keys he’d hidden. A real cat and mouse game. Sometimes you can have a doctor notify DOT by filling out the necessary paperwork. It was really nice for our family because the old guy had dementia and could become very angry. 

When I was a teenager there was an older woman in her 80’s that used to drive around town with the drivers side door wide open lol.She would forget to close it. Went on for about 2 years before they pulled her license

My FIL is 86. He had a 1 car roll over wreck last summer. No idea what happened. No mechanical failure with the car. He was the only person in the car. 

My wife and 3 siblings got together to discuss his future behind the wheel. My wife and I said its time to revoke his license or at least make him complete a driver safety course and retake his driving test. The other 3 dipshits said we were being mean and it would devastate him to lose his transportation. Obviously we got overruled and FIL is still driving. Not only that he asked us for $5000 so he could buy a new car. The other 3 are broke ass Chicago liberals with no money to help. They went so far as to call us heartless for not forking over the $$$ so “dad” could get a new car.  I said “pound sand mother fuckers”  when he kills someone its not gonna be on me.   

Its unbelievable how liberal city fucks think.  The state of Illinois had no issue what so ever giving an 86 year old guy back his license even after he had a nasty 1 car rollover crash. 

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Yup but luckily my 89 year old mil got in a fender bender. The cop said she seemed really confused and held her license. He told my wife and bil they would need a docs letter saying she was capable of driving and they would give it back. Wifey and her brother were pissed they took it. I said guys wait a minute here.....the cops are the bad guys and your mom knows THEY pulled her license. How about you let her blame the cops and not you guys for losing her driving privelages. It worked out and her kids don’t look like the bad guys.

But yeah it’s tough when they lose their drivers license because you or someone else will need to take them everywhere and they complain forever they miss that freedom.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yup but luckily my 89 year old mil got in a fender bender. The cop said she seemed really confused and held her license. He told my wife and bil they would need a docs letter saying she was capable of driving and they would give it back. Wifey and her brother were pissed they took it. I said guys wait a minute here.....the cops are the bad guys and your mom knows THEY pulled her license. How about you let her blame the cops and not you guys for losing her driving privelages. It worked out and her kids don’t look like the bad guys.

But yeah it’s tough when they lose their drivers license because you or someone else will need to take them everywhere and they complain forever they miss that freedom.

Correct . Most people take that for granted in America.  I can remember like it was yesterday the first time my parents allowed me to ride my bicycle in the street and ride it to school.  Freedom !!