Check your account email address ×

Green New Deal: Ocasio-Cortez aims to make air travel obsolete, aid those ‘unwilling’ to work

28 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Jesus Christ!  Lol...do you know what an epic, money holing disaster these high speed rail programs have become?  :lol:

Put down the meth pipe and go get Anler to make you breakfast.

This has to be the most idiotic, protect AOC, look how “woke” and what a “big thinker” I am, thread to date.  It’s fucking Fantasyland!!! ....and librulz are handing out candy canes!  Dem party is doomed.

Had I known @Anler and @Mileage Psycho were up, I would have made them by me a skillet at a local Greek diner. @Anler is going to be hungry after he gives his wife the best 3 min of her life.:lol:

• Haha 1

Look!  Just green as fuck!  And only a short 29 mile bike ride to the newest planned $100B high speed rail system (that is using little or no fossil fuels while being built).  Estimated time of completion: 2099.  Date expense should be recouped:  TBD (never).  

Yes, this all adds up.  Think big!!!  You’ve got to throw a lot of ideas out there to see what works!  (Heard here by site “progressive big thinkers”).:lmao:

47B7B094-192E-47C2-90F9-3FFB7557E4B1.jpeg

• Haha 1

But this proposal, and especially the accompanying (and withdrawn) fact sheet isn’t merely ludicrously ambitious and devoid of common sense (Eliminate air travel?!? Retrofit “every” building in America?!?). It also reveals a stunning absence of basic knowledge of history and public finance.

One wonders whether Ms. AOC actually has the time and temperament to collaborate with experts and study an issue (yet another reason she is the Trump of the left!). Or did Democratic leadership cut her loose and send the real Washington hands off on other projects? Let her primary herself!

On to specifics. This passage on how the extreme environmental makeover might be financed may have sounded great in a college dorm. A freshman dorm. But this is a frightening level of ignorance about the structure, legal authorities, independence and role of the Federal Reserve when it comes from a Congressperson as part of a legislative package

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Cop Watch said:

But this proposal, and especially the accompanying (and withdrawn) fact sheet isn’t merely ludicrously ambitious and devoid of common sense (Eliminate air travel?!? Retrofit “every” building in America?!?). It also reveals a stunning absence of basic knowledge of history and public finance.

One wonders whether Ms. AOC actually has the time and temperament to collaborate with experts and study an issue (yet another reason she is the Trump of the left!). Or did Democratic leadership cut her loose and send the real Washington hands off on other projects? Let her primary herself!

On to specifics. This passage on how the extreme environmental makeover might be financed may have sounded great in a college dorm. A freshman dorm. But this is a frightening level of ignorance about the structure, legal authorities, independence and role of the Federal Reserve when it comes from a Congressperson as part of a legislative package

The Dago and Eatler say you are just scared. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

https://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2019/02/green-with-laughter.html

Green With... Laughter?

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez launches her Intersectional Environmentalism proposal to de-carbonize the US economy and solve every social problem within ten years.

Megan Mcardle, David Harsanyi and Jon Chait wack the pinata. I'll give Megan props for the best headline:

‘We’re nuts!’ isn’t a great pitch for a Green New Deal

But this proposal, and especially the accompanying (and withdrawn) fact sheet isn't merely ludicrously ambitious and devoid of common sense (Eliminate air travel?!? Retrofit "every" building in America?!?). It also reveals a stunning absence of basic knowledge of history and public finance.

On to specifics. This passage on how the extreme environmental makeover might be financed may have sounded great in a college dorm. A freshman dorm. But this is a frightening level of ignorance about the structure, legal authorities, independence and role of the Federal Reserve when it comes from a Congressperson as part of a legislative package (my emphasis):

How will you pay for it?

The same way we paid for the New Deal, the 2008 bank bailout and extended quantitative easing programs. The same way we paid for World War II and all our current wars. The Federal Reserve can extend credit to power these projects and investments and new public banks can be created to extend credit. There is also space for the government to take an equity stake in projects to get a return on investment. At the end of the day, this is an investment in our economy that should grow our wealth as a nation, so the question isn’t how will we pay for it, but what will we do with our new shared prosperity.

Ah, well, what? The Federal Reserve is an independent entity - it won't be financing this green agenda just because AOC thinks it ought to. As to their legal authority, well, it is widely agreed the Fed can purchase government backed debt. They crept beyond that during the 2008 financial meltdown and used their lending authority to finance parts of the AIG bailout in what was widely perceived as an dire, backs against the wall, emergency meltdown scenario. But it is not at all obvious why an independent Fed would choose to finance these green projects or whether it would be within their legal scope.

Back on the history front, this JFK/Ike/FDR nostalgia is ahistorical nonsense:

Americans love a challenge. This is our moonshot.

When JFK said we’d go to the by the end of the decade, people said impossible.

If Eisenhower wanted to build the interstate highway system today, people would ask how we’d pay for it.

When FDR called on America to build 185,000 planes to fight World War 2, every business leader, CEO, and general laughed at him... At the time, the U.S. had produced 3,000 planes in the last year. By the end of the war, we produced 300,000 planes. That’s what we are capable of if we have real leadership.

One at a time: Kennedy first laid out the man-on-the-moon vision in May 1961. The US was losing the space race to the Soviet Union, which had the first satellite and the first man in space (their legacy rocket program from WWII gave them a head start).

Did people say "impossible"? The relevant Senate Committee unanimously approved funding a few weeks later. Polling was scattered: per Forbes, in 1959 52% thought a man on the moon was doable within 20 years; in early 1961, 65% approved of the attempt. Well, until the price tag was announced: per Wikipedia, 58% opposed the use of funds for that purpose. But "impossible"? Not seeing it.

And Ike? Well, he didn't wait for people to ask how we'd pay for the highway program - he asked Congress to extend the gasoline tax in his original proposal. No, fiscal conservatism wasn't invented last weekend to thwart Green Dreams.

As to FDR, my goodness: his speech calling for a massive rearmament effort was delivered on May 15, 1940, five days after Germany began their invasion of France. The French collapse along the Meuse was well underway, although the public (and possibly Allied military leadership) may not have been fully aware. The Times front page, with the Roosevelt speech in the upper left:

AOC_FDR_NYTFrontPage

Although AOC is surely hearing laughter today, people were not laughing in May of 1940 (Geez, did she see "Churchill"? "Dunkirk"? How about "Avengers - Infinity War"?). In fact, FDR pressed into service William Knudsen, the head of General Motors, to dial up America's industrial base. Here is how historian Arthur Herman described Knudsen's approach:

“I’m no soldier,” Knudsen told Roosevelt when he got to Washington that May, “But I know if we get into war, the winning of it will be purely a question of material production.” He persuaded FDR that three steps were needed to get America’s businesses and factories ready for getting back to work, and getting ready for war.

The first was to rethink Roosevelt’s own anti-business instincts, and to bring industry leaders into the administration to deal with the production crisis.

The second was to scrap many of the New Deal’s anti-business regulations and tax policies, in order to give businesses an incentive to switch to wartime production and hire workers, retool, and expand their plants.

The third was to take control of the war mobilization process away from Washington bureaucrats and give it to America’s most innovative and productive companies.

That sounds sort of the opposite of the AOC plan to put the government in charge of everything.

Well. Other than showing no grasp of common sense, history or public finance I would say AOC is good to go.

37 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Had I known @Anler and @Mileage Psycho were up, I would have made them by me a skillet at a local Greek diner. @Anler is going to be hungry after he gives his wife the best 3 min of her life.:lol:

Going for double duty is he?:lol:

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Imagine hi speed rail connecting major metropolitan areas, in fact no need to imagine it's happening already.

What's laughable is that you don't know what efforts have getting implemented over the past decades to make buildings green, energy efficiency, green roofs, concrete that absorbs CO2, etc.

Massive plantings of forest is great idea, but it's not going to be free, the Amazon rain forest has been getting cut and burned for the last 40 years for grazing and farming, so you're going to have to offer those landowners income to turn there land back into a CO2 sponge. Now I'm not saying that it's not worth it, but you nickel shitters don't want to spend money on anything.

I did, and of course it's not going to happen in 10 years, but it has already started.

It's good to see some folks in government to come up with ideas for the future. There is nothing wrong with thinking radical, as anyone with half a brain knows you have to throw a lot of shit on the wall before something sticks. Of course when you go to Fox News all you see is that it is a disaster, and then of course you come here and it's parroted, take a read :thumb:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/democrats-green-new-deal-is-a-crazy-new-deal-that-would-be-a-disaster-for-us-all

Care to post some links to all that's been done?

10 hours ago, f7ben said:

Why are you so fixated on rail....I never mentioned it

So what type of transporter system are you talking about? :lol:   

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Just hire a bunch of unemployed environmental studies grads to plant trees, at say a buck a pop.  Nothing greener than that, easy peasy.

My son is a employed environmental studies grad, and he spent most of the fall doing control burns.:lol:

7D12CE03-121B-4437-8B34-C9ED541AB7CF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

My son is a employed environmental studies grad, and he spent most of the fall doing control burns.:lol:

7D12CE03-121B-4437-8B34-C9ED541AB7CF.jpeg

Clearly liberals haven’t taught him about the dangers that control burns are because of the release of Co2 in our atmosphere.  You know, like they taught them in California.  

We can all learn something from the liberal management of that state.  

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Clearly liberals haven’t taught him about the dangers that control burns are because of the release of Co2 in our atmosphere.  You know, like they taught them in California.  

We can all learn something from the liberal management of that state.  

:lol:

Ya,it’s funny, He spends a lot of time cutting down none native trees on public land. This actually helps Forrest’s thrive. It’s a weird concept.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

So what type of transporter system are you talking about? :lol:   

Hypersonic low earth orbit nuke powered cattle cars.

Fuck man....I dont know. Use your god damned imagination for once in your pathetic life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The dago and eatler understand that we are a growing population and changes to infrastructure and our habits are necessary to prepare for the future. We are consuming natural resources at a growing pace and we need to explore newer and renewable energy sources, Jim. Living and working in a sense metropolitan area you can easily see that more efficient methods of moving people around is necessary. Compound that with shipping our roadways and airways are getting more crowded. 

Nobody here has the perfect answer but sharing ideas is what is going to get us into the next millennium. Stop being a poopy pants faggot

Edited by Anler

1 minute ago, Anler said:

The dago and eatler understand that we are a growing population and changes to infrastructure and our habits are necessary to prepare for the future. We are consuming natural resources at a growing pace and we need to explore newer and renewable energy sources, Jim. Living and working in a sense metropolitan area you can easily see that more efficient methods of moving people around is necessary. Compound that with shipping our roadways and airways are getting more crowded. 

Nobody here has the perfect answer but sharing ideas is what is going to get us into the next millennium. Stop being a poopy pants faggot

I’m not being anything of the sort....fucking Vince runs around lecturing  and calling people scared and can’t even answer my  question about air travel and my initial point is that while I agree with looking to the future and alternatives the message gets lost and dismissed when AOC says shit like making air travel obsolete. :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m not being anything of the sort....fucking Vince runs around lecturing  and calling people scared and can’t even answer my  question about air travel and my initial point is that while I agree with looking to the future and alternatives the message gets lost and dismissed when AOC says shit like making air travel obsolete. :thumbsup:

Well I already said if that ever happens it would be a very long way out. High speed rail is already being implemented but who knows if that is going to be the better alternative or not.