Check your account email address ×

Sad reality of our world

jtssrx

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So they are well educated but can’t help themselves...like they can’t do laundry, change oil....what?

Basically...you can learn how to do something....but actually being able to do it are 2 differents things....

2 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Well, I am a Millennial... So I think I have a pretty good grasp on the subject compared to a bunch of 50+ year old men. Kids have different social skills than when you guys were kids. It’s change. Are there some downfalls? Sure. There are also perks to being interconnected via media. It’s like anything in life. Moderation is key. There will be those absolutely enthralled with social media and can’t function, but that doesn’t make it the norm or an epidemic. I’d say this generation is more concerned with social issues than any previous as well. That stems from social media. There is a touch of slacktivism, but again, it isn’t the norm. 

I'm 45 and an IT professional. I wasn't excluding myself when I posted this. I find myself being disengaged from my family and friends looking at my phone. I'm trying my best to get off of it as much as possible. I think many are all guilty of this 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter is a college Freshman and I’ve watched the evolution of social media through her and if anything it has increased social interaction because she and her friends do so many things on the fly...friends pop into town on short notice and they meet up for coffee, lunch ect....I think it’s a great thing.

I agree the technology is great and has its place. But the video showed more they just people having their heads buried in the phone.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Basically...you can learn how to do something....but actually being able to do it are 2 differents things....

Yes, think....... SnowRider  :thumb: 

Educated, supposedly 137 IQ but dumb ass shit

40 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yes, think....... SnowRider  :thumb: 

Educated, supposedly 137 IQ but dumb ass shit

As much as we like giving him shit about fuses... That hardly means he is not capable of taking care of himself. He has a solid job, good family, and takes care of his own. Are we sure when you guys are saying not able to cope, you just mean liberal and disagree with what they find value in?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Well, I am a Millennial... So I think I have a pretty good grasp on the subject compared to a bunch of 50+ year old men. Kids have different social skills than when you guys were kids. It’s change. Are there some downfalls? Sure. There are also perks to being interconnected via media. It’s like anything in life. Moderation is key. There will be those absolutely enthralled with social media and can’t function, but that doesn’t make it the norm or an epidemic. I’d say this generation is more concerned with social issues than any previous as well. That stems from social media. There is a touch of slacktivism, but again, it isn’t the norm. 

So in reality you are no different than any other generation.  full of yourself and not willing to admit that the expirience of older people likley gives them a better understanding of what is.

9 minutes ago, old indy said:

So in reality you are no different than any other generation.  full of yourself and not willing to admit that the expirience of older people likley gives them a better understanding of what is.

So you have better understanding of millennials why again? 

11 minutes ago, old indy said:

Yes

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Whats your opinion?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

how did you come to this delusion?

im simply pointing out his opinion is that of a younger person that has not been around as long as some.

Edited by old indy

4 minutes ago, old indy said:

Think about what you just said. You completely made my case for me. This generation isnt old. So they haven’t learned those life lessons. They aren’t there yet, so of course they are going to make mistakes. This generation as compared to other generations at the same age has a tech advantage, education advantage, and interconnection greater than the previous. It’s just a fact.  Are there pitfalls to that? Absolutely. Do those pitfalls outweigh the gains? Hell no. 

You’re making an argument that older people have more knowledge in other areas and holding that against the younger generation. They haven’t all bought houses, payed taxes, held career jobs, etc. That has nothing to do with whether they are better educated, more connected, and have more tech at their fingertips. It has to do with time. Just as I can easily point to hippies in your generation to make the same case that your dad was making about your generation. The only difference though, your generation never came close to living up to the standards of those who fought WWII.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Shame you haven't fallen into a storm sewer although you would prefer a septic tank.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not bitter at all....I just don't like anonymous shit eating inbred creeps so GFY.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter is a college Freshman and I’ve watched the evolution of social media through her and if anything it has increased social interaction because she and her friends do so many things on the fly...friends pop into town on short notice and they meet up for coffee, lunch ect....I think it’s a great thing.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sorry but he is spot...kids these days are doing more and more socially engaged than at any time...you are playing the back in my day guy.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

You live in a little partisan bubble and view everything through that prism and just the fact you made that comment about arrogance reinforces what I said. BTW WTF does Trump  have to do with any of this?

Spot on but he won’t see or acknowledge any of it.

What does that even mean?

So they are well educated but can’t help themselves...like they can’t do laundry, change oil....what?

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I have already stated my opinion.

By reading your posts.

Not seeing an opinion there really.

I commented on the phone and social media aspect but apparently you have a lot of time on your hands today. I think millennials are very educated especially in technology...can they change their own oil maybe maybe not but who really cares?

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I commented on the phone and social media aspect but apparently you have a lot of time on your hands today. I think millennials are very educated especially in technology...can they change their own oil maybe maybe not but who really cares?

I do..im fucking beat from walking the last 2 days.

:lol:

As for changing their own oil...you just proved my point.

:bc:

6 minutes ago, DAVE said:

How so...I said I don't care if they can do it...doesn't mean they can't. Fuck why would anybody change their own oil.

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Why? Is that really what’s holding back a generation? Explain in your own words how that micro issue translates to your macro view on a generation. How does a task like changing oil show a generation is capable of doing well or make them a failure?

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Why? Is that really what’s holding back a generation? Explain in your own words how that micro issue translates to your macro view on a generation. How does a task like changing oil show a generation is capable of doing well or make them a failure?

Changing oil is a poor example.

If there is no one who is capable of doing practical tasks....who will do them?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

How so...I said I don't care if they can do it...doesn't mean they can't. Fuck why would anybody change their own oil.

Someone has to do it....

Expand your mind a bit...

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Just now, DAVE said:

Someone has to do it....

Expand your mind a bit...

There are plenty of millennials that can do things....expand my mind...really? You and others are the ones sounding like geezers.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

There are plenty of millennials that can do things....expand my mind...really? You and others are the ones sounding like geezers.

Im not saying you are wrong....but im going by my personal experience. 

No no im not xlt. your making the case kids today have the same skill level or more as well as being equiped to handle lifes challenges and from what i see, they dont. its all available and within reach but not utilized. kids are inherently lazy and self entitled, always have been but they are more spoiled today than ever before and wont reach for anything , they need it handed to them.   56 years of being around shows me this more and more.     sooooo many are on happy pills and in need of therapy than ever before. they cant cope.  im not trying to belittle the idea of getting help for problems, ive been the advocate for family members issues for more than 40 yrs so i know when help is needed, its needed.

without their phones or computers most young members of society are lost today imo        we are all going that way too..      

im ooooooooout    

wheres that damn sleeping emo thinggy   fugitt 

Just now, old indy said:

No no im not xlt. your making the case kids today have the same skill level or more as well as being equiped to handle lifes challenges and from what i see, they dont. its all available and within reach but not utilized. kids are inherently lazy and self entitled, always have been but they are more spoiled today than ever before and wont reach for anything , they need it handed to them.   56 years of being around shows me this more and more.     sooooo many are on happy pills and in need of therapy than ever before. they cant cope.  im not trying to belittle the idea of getting help for problems, ive been the advocate for family members issues for more than 40 yrs so i know when help is needed, its needed.

without their phones or computers most young members of society are lost today imo        we are all going that way too..      

im ooooooooout    

wheres that damn sleeping emo thinggy   fugitt 

Pretty much again....

Just now, DAVE said:

Oh for sure. Don’t disagree at all on that. The trades are suffering a bit. A lot of that is a cyclical change of the employment environment due to increased numbers of people going to college. As it suffers in some areas like trades, those trades incentivize laborers to join them. It’s already in full swing. What these trades are offering for packages has skyrocketed in the last 10 years. The labor will follow it. Just as everyone getting some liberal arts degree has left so many with nothing. Now liberal arts majors are in decline. There is a lag. We’ve undergone a huge work place transition in the last 20+ years. The idea that we are going to get to a point where we don’t have mechanics or HVAC techs is errant IMO. Trades now are becoming hyper aware of tech and how it plays a roll. Cars, furnaces, electrical systems, etc get more complicated. This generation as it adjusts to the changing work environment will be better suited to it.

My Masters thesis for my MBA is on this very topic. The biggest problem facing this generation is they are finding out too late that a formal four year degree may not be right. Your generation is leaving the workplace now, shortening the current generations ability to learn on the job from 20+ year veterans of that field.