Check your account email address ×

Effectiveness of border barriers

• Platinum Contributing Member

Repugs demonize the downtrodden and are scared to speak truth to power......hence they target the immigrants and provide cover for the employers.  At least the D’s don’t demonize the immigrants.  

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

They are hurting trades to an extent. There isn’t a huge market for it here, but in other spots I bet it is. Pretty easy to solve. Fine any homeowner who hires illegals to work on their home. How can they tell? Make it illegal to hire anyone without insurance. 

Exactly and if it's a large project the GC needs to have his shit in order....we are similar to your area in that we don't see many Central Americans in the trades if any. IMO the bigger problem involves large produce farms, slaughterhouses, meat processing plants and I'm guessing they are large donors so the political will to go after them is not there.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Exactly and if it's a large project the GC needs to have his shit in order....we are similar to your area in that we don't see many Central Americans in the trades if any. IMO the bigger problem involves large procedure farms, slaughterhouses, meat processing plants and I'm guessing they are large donors so the political will to go after them is not there.

Not a real lot in NH . 1/2  hr south Spanish is what is spoken on many jobsites.I see them in landscaping , framing , roofing , painting and drywall/plaster.

Just now, SnowRider said:

Repugs demonize the downtrodden and are scared to speak truth to power......hence they target the immigrants and provide cover for the employers.  At least the D’s don’t demonize the immigrants.  

Bingo. I don’t blame an illegal one bit. We created this great nation with prosperity and opportunity. I blame those in power who take advantage of those wanting a better life. They could stop illegal immigration in a day. 

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Exactly and if it's a large project the GC needs to have his shit in order....we are similar to your area in that we don't see many Central Americans in the trades if any. IMO the bigger problem involves large procedure farms, slaughterhouses, meat processing plants and I'm guessing they are large donors so the political will to go after them is not there.

Yep. There lies the problem. Money and influence and double standards. 

3 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Amazingly he probably triple locks his house and garage.

Your basic grasp on this subject is unbelievably poor. I can’t make it any more simple. You, sir, are fucking retarded. 

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Did you read anything I wrote? Are you illiterate? I made my case with actual logic. Walls and fences mean nothing if they aren’t enforceable. You’re fucking house walls mean nothing if there is zero threat of repercussion for breaching them aka police aka you there with a gun. My analogy made it crystal clear. Put a million dollars in your house and tell everyone that no one can possibly be there for 30 mins. See if that money is still there. Do you need me to get out some crayons and Barney this shit up some more for you? Use stupid logical fallacies and get treated like you’re stupid. Jesus fuck..

Is anyone who wants a wall/fence advocating that they not be patrolled or enforced?  There are all kinds of different ways to patrol the wall.  All of them are more effective with a wall/fence than without.  

• Like 1

Just now, steve from amherst said:

The US chamber of commerce is the biggest hurdle in the way of solving this problem.

Repugs.  Look around at the pro border wall fuckers.....most don’t have two nickels to rub together and simply look for people to demonize while they themselves are often taken advantage of.......its like a poor man’s power trip.  Meanwhile Repugs stoke the rhetoric while being in the pockets of big business. 

8 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Steve said it best. There is only one solution. Reduce demand. Gotta go after those who hire illegals and white middle class who hire them to do their dirty work and trade needs.

Its the same thing with drugs. People believe if more drugs come into the country more people will do drugs. That's ridiculous. There will always be a certain percentage who do drugs and they will be delivered here no matter what. 

All more drugs entering will do is lower the price making junkies commit less crimes to feed their habbits.  .Again , without stopping the demand , someone will always provide the supply.

3 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Repugs.  Look around at the pro border wall fuckers.....most don’t have two nickels to rub together and simply look for people to demonize while they themselves are often taken advantage of.......its like a poor man’s power trip.  Meanwhile Repugs stoke the rhetoric while being in the pockets of big business. 

Most are repugs. There are some dems ,with Hillary Clinton being the 4th highest recipient of chamber of commerce money in the 2016 election.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Most are repugs. There are some dems ,with Hillary Clinton being the 4th highest recipient of chamber of commerce money in the 2016 election.

It’s a lot more than the chamber 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Is anyone who wants a wall/fence advocating that they not be patrolled or enforced?  There are all kinds of different ways to patrol the wall.  All of them are more effective with a wall/fence than without.  

Thats what I took from it but apparently only the left can debate such. 

But then its obvious that the left don't like it when their patrolled walls are brought up. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

But that isn’t the plan. The plan is some big beautiful wall. Nowhere are we talking about adding the required resources to actually make this big beautiful wall effective. I’m talking effective across all 1954 miles. Becuase if you have even one spot that isn’t patrolled or managed, this whole chunk of money is wasted. If we can do that, the next concern is the cost to benefit of the whole system.That’s a lot money to solve one fraction of our illegal immigration problem. Is it worth it? Becuase we could save billions and billions of dollars with one Bill from Congress. Prosecute anyone who hires illegals. Enforce the laws already on the books. That’s why I don’t like it. It may work with a fuck ton of money, but that doesn’t make it a good idea. It’s a political football that keeps everyone wrapped up and focused on this crap when the real problem goes unfixed and the elites take advantage of it for their own game. 

7 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Thats what I took from it but apparently only the left can debate such. 

But then its obvious that the left don't like it when their patrolled walls are brought up. 

I’m a fiscal conservative. And I’m coming at this from a fiscal conservative viewpoint. And I can back that with fiscal conservative ideology. Your idea is have the govt throw more money at a losing option. Who’s the liberal here??? You want big govt intervention on big govt programs with big govt spending. You want to throw around right this, left that? Better know what the fuck you are talking about and not just sound like some braindead partisan hack. Oops, sorry. 

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I’m a fiscal conservative. And I’m coming at this from a fiscal conservative viewpoint. And I can back that with fiscal conservative ideology. Your idea is have the govt throw more money at a losing option. Who’s the liberal here??? You want big govt intervention on big govt programs with big govt spending. You want to throw around right, this left that? Better know what the fuck you are talking about and not just sound like some braindead partisan hack. Oops, sorry. 

All governments throw money at losing efforts every day. Doesn't matter who is in charge. 

Drugs, illegals, sex trafficking, health care etc...they throw it certain ways to benefit themselves and their friends.  Its pretty simple.  So far I dont think Trump cares who benefits or who doesn't.  He just wants change which is pissing people off. 

Its too late to go after the root causes.  Its time to prevent further infiltration.  Prevent further infiltration of illegals (im all for LEGAL immigration....kinda like trump) then start working on the illegals within the states.  Cut those coming over the border illegally off then start dealing with the internal.  You start with the internal and you will never nip any of the issues in the butt.  Stop the flow then fix the internals. 

8 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Becuase we could save billions and billions of dollars with one Bill from Congress. Prosecute anyone who hires illegals. Enforce the laws already on the books. 

Arguing about spending 5 Billion $ while the problem can be fixed at no charge just shows that those in control don't really want the problem fixed. 

Trump ( he dosnt give a shit about his wall, he cares about his campaign promise )

Congress

Many buss owners

And the consumer who demands and believes he or she deserves cheap shit.

2 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

All governments throw money at losing efforts every day. Doesn't matter who is in charge. 

Drugs, illegals, sex trafficking, health care etc...they throw it certain ways to benefit themselves and their friends.  Its pretty simple.  So far I dont think Trump cares who benefits or who doesn't.  He just wants change which is pissing people off. 

Its too late to go after the root causes.  Its time to prevent further infiltration.  Prevent further infiltration of illegals (im all for LEGAL immigration....kinda like trump) then start working on the illegals within the states.  Cut those coming over the border illegally off then start dealing with the internal.  You start with the internal and you will never nip any of the issues in the butt.  Stop the flow then fix the internals. 

Trump just wants his wall that he ran his campaign around. That wall was a metaphor to brain dead hilljack retards. That wall means nothing to him other than a win. Trump gives zero fucks about immigrants and working class Americans having their jobs taken by immigrants. If he did, his staff at his hotels and where he makes his clothing and hats would look very different. 

Its too late to go after the root causes. That is hands down the dumbest thing you’ve said yet. It’s too late to fix the reason they are coming so we will just put our finger in the one hole while it continues to leak from the 100 other holes. Let’s call that a win and post our Mission Accomplished sign!!!! Sweet fuck... 

Stop the flow by building a dumb fucking campaign wall he says, except some have the number as high as 65% of illegal immigrants are from those staying over on their visas. 

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The question that needs to be answered to this statement is pretty key. Are they crossing at other locations? Currently only 1/3 is fenced or walled. You throw up a couple miles of wall/fence, what stops them from crossing elsewhere without a barrier? My issue is with manning this wall. 1954 miles is a huge area to patrol without a significant presence. Even if you wall the whole thing, all walls can be breached without a person defending it. That expanse is just so large to do so. 

People keep bringing up prisons, the whitehouse, etc. Those are all small areas where each inch can be monitored and responded to instantly. 1954 miles, not so much. Not to mention the fact that the federal govt will have to use eminent domain on thousands upon thousands of acres of private and state held land. That bill is going to be astronomical. 

If Trump said we were going to do limited fence, and increase the means of monitoring the whole stretch, I’d be ok with that. That means, UAVs, men, vehicles, satellites, etc. If it takes border control 30 mins to respond to a breach due to terrain and distance from their location to the breach, what good is a fence that slows someone down a couple mins? They still have 20+ mins head start instead of 30. Is that worth the cost of the physical structure? I’d say no. That’s why most Texas Republicans not running for federal office are huge naysayers on the wall. 

:endthread:  

but trumpers will keep crowing about how we can't have a country without walls

38 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

But that isn’t the plan. The plan is some big beautiful wall. Nowhere are we talking about adding the required resources to actually make this big beautiful wall effective. I’m talking effective across all 1954 miles. Becuase if you have even one spot that isn’t patrolled or managed, this whole chunk of money is wasted. If we can do that, the next concern is the cost to benefit of the whole system.That’s a lot money to solve one fraction of our illegal immigration problem. Is it worth it? Becuase we could save billions and billions of dollars with one Bill from Congress. Prosecute anyone who hires illegals. Enforce the laws already on the books. That’s why I don’t like it. It may work with a fuck ton of money, but that doesn’t make it a good idea. It’s a political football that keeps everyone wrapped up and focused on this crap when the real problem goes unfixed and the elites take advantage of it for their own game. 

What plans have you seen? Can you link to them? 

44 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I'd like to see this plan you speak of.  

5 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

What plans have you seen? Can you link to them? 

There really isn’t much as far as a policy statement that I can find. Every source has the $5B going to the wall. From there you could make the case that he means towards the whole system of controls including the physical barrier, but you could also make the case that he means only the wall itself. From his comments, tweets, etc... I’d say he means the wall itself and additional money can be funneled to ICE and Border agents. 

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Again, that’s another problem. If we just look at his words he talks about the physical wall. Pretty much only about that physical wall. 

So you don't have a link to the plan you were talking about earlier?