Check your account email address ×

ISP question

Snake

I have a 100mbps internet plan. I test often and get 65-75. If I'm not getting to 100 as is, going to a 200mbps plan won't make a difference, correct?

Sounds like a stupid question... :lol:

It depends. 

Some ISPs are good about giving the advertised speeds and others only guarantee "up to" x amount of bandwidth. 

Very few users need more than 100 mbps bandwidth. 

On the speed test, where is the server that you're connecting to and how many ms of latency is there? 

16 minutes ago, SSFB said:

It depends. 

Some ISPs are good about giving the advertised speeds and others only guarantee "up to" x amount of bandwidth. 

Very few users need more than 100 mbps bandwidth. 

On the speed test, where is the server that you're connecting to and how many ms of latency is there? 

My ISP.....

0sp.thumb.PNG.35fa1622b5070608302a57d9e3857476.PNG

Your router can also effect speed. I have the wireless router from xfinity and my old Linksys router that I use to upload my webcam and weather station data. Look at the difference in download speeds.

1.jpg

1a.JPG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Your router can also effect speed. I have the wireless router from xfinity and my old Linksys router that I use to upload my webcam and weather station data. Look at the difference in download speeds.

1.jpg

1a.JPG

I am also going to deep six the stock ARRIS modem/router with this... done renting shit....

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MG7550-AC1900-Gigabit-Maximum/dp/B01JGT2JI6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539448170&sr=8-3&keywords=MOTOROLA+MG7550&dpID=31OFH6rtBSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'm not sure if /i can go that route because I also have phone service through mt xfinity modem.

Speaking of internet, anyone here have xfinity?  They have an offer going on now where you can buy a 6th gen iPad for $120. I'm not sure what packages you have to have to qualify, but it's a great deal if you do.

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I am sick of payin for that shit. It really is fuckin insane add cell service and shit you can pay a mortgage.

im working on tin cans with 50 lb test. Intro special on 20 lb test.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Dropping the modem, dropping DVR, dropping everything I can. Shit is getting stupid ridiculous.

Could not agree more....it's a fucking racket.

1 hour ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Damn nice pings.  

This is on wireless, router is upstairs, I'm in the basement.  It's probably half that on a wired connection.

image.png.de7bfaf2607d5a7642adfd38ed6ed94e.png

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I am sick of payin for that shit. It really is fuckin insane add cell service and shit you can pay a mortgage.

im working on tin cans with 50 lb test. Intro special on 20 lb test.

Check out some of the prepaid companies.  You will need to buy a phone outright.  My wife is on Total Wireless which uses Verizon towers, $37 after all the junk fees.  She uses her phone all the time and rarely complains about service.  I bought her a Motorola phone on Amazon for a few hundred.  Most people buy $800 phones without knowing it, put it on payments, and then get suckered into expensive plans by Verizon and AT&T.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Could not agree more....it's a fucking racket.

Phone contracts are up in a couple months. $35 a month per. Fuck a new phone, the S7 is just fine for now.

Not going ultimate - $40

DVR - $13

Modem - $10

Phones - $70

$133 a month without even trying.

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Dropping the modem, dropping DVR, dropping everything I can. Shit is getting stupid ridiculous.

If you have Apple TVs, Roku, Fire TVs, etc. consider just going with Sling, PS Vue, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc.  I'm on a promo rate, but my streaming tv only costs $43 after taxes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

This is on wireless, router is upstairs, I'm in the basement.  It's probably half that on a wired connection.

image.png.de7bfaf2607d5a7642adfd38ed6ed94e.png

Check out some of the prepaid companies.  You will need to buy a phone outright.  My wife is on Total Wireless which uses Verizon towers, $37 after all the junk fees.  She uses her phone all the time and rarely complains about service.  I bought her a Motorola phone on Amazon for a few hundred.  Most people buy $800 phones without knowing it, put it on payments, and then get suckered into expensive plans by Verizon and AT&T.

We have TracFones, $8.33 a month each, phones we have are LG's and were $38 each. Have had TracFones for at least 10 years, zero complaints.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

It is. I have been thinking about canceling mine for a while. It will happen at some point. 

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

i went to my own modem a few years back no fucking way am i paying those fucks another 10.  i just finished 2 years at 90 something a month and got a bill for $180 time to beat the shit out of comcast again.  think the fuckers also slowed my internet speed i was always over 100

7714894894.png

17 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

If you have Apple TVs, Roku, Fire TVs, etc. consider just going with Sling, PS Vue, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc.  I'm on a promo rate, but my streaming tv only costs $43 after taxes.

Very close to doing just that.