Check your account email address ×

Canadian dairy farmers fume that concessions granted US in new trade deal are too costly

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

trump looses at everything he touches. The man would be living out of a shopping cart had it not been for daddy’s money. Everything he’s bragged about has turned out to be a lie. 

Jealousy is not a good look on you. 

6 hours ago, TallCool 1 said:

My nephew is a  Canadian Dairy Farmer in Ontario is milk check has already dropped 20% over the last 4 years and now he is uncertain how much more it going to drop. He was ready to borrow money to built a new robot barn but now  it just a day to day operation and he is looking for other career paths. The Chinese already supply are honey ,garlic and can fruit. India is dumping cheap food in are grocery stores. Now the American are going after are milk ,eggs and poultry . It is not a good time to be a farmer in Canada and if we lose the ability to food our self's it could be a bad time for all of Canada.

It isn't any better pulling tits on the other side of the border.  

For us it was update or sell out.  

Our county had over 1200 dairy farms in the 70's, early August there were 51, 3 more just called it quits and more to follow.

In the 70's milk was 16.00 per hundred it is rumored to be going below 14.00 now.

5 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Our county had over 1200 dairy farms in the 70's, early August there were 51, 3 more just called it quits and more to follow.

In the 70's milk was 16.00 per hundred it is rumored to be going below 14.00 now.

That sucks

37 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That sucks

It's reality.  He ain't lie'n.  We have 0 left in our county.  None.  Not a one.

Here's another stat for ya.  1982- corn was $4.25/bu.  today, corn is $3.65/bu.  I won't even get into the cost's differences from then till now, but use your imagination.  You're a fart smeller, you can figure it out.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

That sucks

It sure does, we let our neighbor use about 25 acres for his dairy but I don't see how they will say in it much longer.  As the number goes down the pickup of milk will become another problem.

30 minutes ago, hayward said:

It's reality.  He ain't lie'n.  We have 0 left in our county.  None.  Not a one.

Here's another stat for ya.  1982- corn was $4.25/bu.  today, corn is $3.65/bu.  I won't even get into the cost's differences from then till now, but use your imagination.  You're a fart smeller, you can figure it out.

We used to be the largest dairy for miles around, and when I was growing up, the largest in the county.  When we sold, we were the smallest on the milk truck route.  

The truck would stop every other day.  Don't remember how much of the truck we'd fill.  Maybe 1/3rd of it?  Now there are farms in the area that send out multiple transport loads of milk per day.