Check your account email address ×

Do you like military jets?

Dont gots the Facebooks or instagrams.....but that pic is from Wales? Correct? Guy i was in school with a few months ago told me about a place in Wales where the military fly through a canyon and you can literally stand above their flightpath and take pics... extra awesome 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I know it sounds stupid but watching Top Gun in the theater when I was 18 was badass. :lol:

Fighter Jets and Military Aviation in generalist very cool...WW2 fighters in particular....Hurricanes, Spitfires, P51's, Corsairs, P38's..etc....

F-86A 49-1067

Also displayed next to a MiG-15 is the National Museum of the USAF‘s F-86A 49-1067, marked as a different aircraft 49-1236.  The real 49-1236 served with the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, and  was shot down by a MiG-15 over Korea on October 24, 1951, the pilot Bradley Irish being taken prisoner until 1953.

That would be my uncle.

irish.thumb.PNG.712dab63d43ae07c064953d2a13d916c.PNG

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

F-86A 49-1067

Also displayed next to a MiG-15 is the National Museum of the USAF‘s F-86A 49-1067, marked as a different aircraft 49-1236.  The real 49-1236 served with the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, and  was shot down by a MiG-15 over Korea on October 24, 1951, the pilot Bradley Irish being taken prisoner until 1953.

That would be my uncle.

Bradley Irish...Damn.

2 years in a Korean prison camp? He must have been a bad dude. My grandpa spent almost 2 years in a nazi prison camp and barely made it out of there alive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

F-86A 49-1067

That would be my uncle.

I have been out to Dayton 4 or 5 times to see the museum. The church for war planes.

8 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have been out to Dayton 4 or 5 times to see the museum. The church for war planes.

I haven't been there in more than 40 yrs and I'm sure it's changed a lot. I mentioned it to my dad recently, because he always attends the Dayton hamfest and he was the last person I went with.  I'm going to see if I can't get my 2 boys to go with him and me and make it a multi generational trip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Look up Glacier Girl.

Helluva story and amazing what they were able to do...only pair of P38 Machine Guns in existence....very cool.

http://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft/glacier-girl

10 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

I haven't been there in more than 40 yrs and I'm sure it's changed a lot. I mentioned it to my dad recently, because he always attends the Dayton hamfest and he was the last person I went with.  I'm going to see if I can't get my 2 boys to go with him and me and make it a multi generational trip.

I brought my wife and son a few years back. My wife even said she enjoyed it. The 4th hanger just opened and they moved all the presidential planes and the Valkyrie over from the base.

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

I brought my wife and son a few years back. My wife even said she enjoyed it. The 4th hanger just opened and they moved all the presidential planes and the Valkyrie over from the base.

The last time I was there the Valkyrie was outside the entrance. I know I walked by it with my jaw on the ground. I will never forget that plane.

3 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

The last time I was there the Valkyrie was outside the entrance. I know I walked by it with my jaw on the ground. I will never forget that plane.

It was moved over to the base about ten years ago into the presidential hanger.  It was a bad idea to put that plane outside and it is so rare as it is the only one of it's type. they also had the YF23 black widow with the pratt engines over there as well as the D21 drone (very rare) and the Verti Jet.  They also have a B2 Spirt on display which I am pretty sure is the only way to get anywhere near one of those. I have been all over the country and I have Yet to see a collection of planes any where near as good as Dayton. Plus you can go down the road and see the two best bicycle mechanics to ever live.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Edmo said:

2 years in a Korean prison camp? He must have been a bad dude. My grandpa spent almost 2 years in a nazi prison camp and barely made it out of there alive. 

.y wife's grandpa was shot down over a ss training camp and tgey took pop shots  at him as he floated down .

they took him full of holes to a pow holding camp .there a doctor pow from Russia operated on him on a picnic table . her gramp could  speek Serbian so they could sort of communicate. he spent 34 months as a pow in Germany 

5 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

This is one of my favorites. I worked with a guy who was a crew chief in the same squadron when it happened.  I also worked with the crew chief for the Hanoi Taxi when it was flown into Dayton and turned over to the museum.  

That is an amazing story. :thumbsup:

• Like 1