Check your account email address ×

Top 20 lies from Thrillery's Altright speech from yesterday

From Ebsell's link:

According to the article, the theory that Obama was born in Kenya “first emerged in the spring of 2008, as Clinton supporters circulated an anonymous email questioning Obama’s citizenship.”

The second article, which ran several days after the Politico piece, was published by the Telegraph, a British paper, which stated: “An anonymous email circulated by supporters of Mrs Clinton, Mr Obama’s main rival for the party’s nomination, thrust a new allegation into the national spotlight — that he had not been born in Hawaii.”

Both of those stories comport with what we here at FactCheck.org wrote two-and-a-half years earlier, on Nov. 8, 2008: “This claim was first advanced by diehard Hillary Clinton supporters as her campaign for the party’s nomination faded, and has enjoyed a revival among John McCain’s partisans as he fell substantially behind Obama in public opinion polls.”

Claims about Obama’s birthplace appeared in chain emails bouncing around the Web, and one of the first lawsuits over Obama’s birth certificate was filed by Philip Berg, a former deputy Pennsylvania attorney general and a self-described “moderate to liberal” who supported Clinton.

5 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

A couple Hillary supporters called for Obamas birth certificate but Hillary never mentioned it or implied it. It wasn't until Trump ran with it that it became popular and he was like a dog with a bone, he always brought it up. 

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/was-hillary-clinton-the-original-birther/

:lies:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well Clinton's staff released a photo trying to imply Obama was a muslim so there's that.  :lmao:

This is FACT btw.  

Apparently they don't like muslims or jews with what they were doing with Bernie.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

to be fair it prolly wasn't hillarys idea to put it out there..who really knows.

It was her campaign which she ran :nuts: I remember her questioning it saying that it needed to be looked into, she started it there is ZERO question :flush:

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well Clinton's staff released a photo trying to imply Obama was a muslim so there's that.  :lmao:

This is FACT btw.  

Apparently they don't like muslims or jews with what they were doing with Bernie.  

That is fact. The only one I was disputing is the birthed movement. And Hillary didn't start that. It's one of the few things she is innocent on lol 

4 minutes ago, Momorider said:

It was her campaign which she ran :nuts: I remember her questioning it saying that it needed to be looked into, she started it there is ZERO question :flush:

You can't remember last night ya degenerate lol

1 minute ago, Ebsell said:

That is fact. The only one I was disputing is the birthed movement. And Hillary didn't start that. It's one of the few things she is innocent on lol 

well certainly trump was not the first to bring it up..i guess we can all agree on that.

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

common ground..it's there.

I'll be the first to say we all have more things in common then we realize..well,except for sr.

SR is buried up Hillarys ass about as far as momo is buried up Trumps ass. All the way lol 

11 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Didn't say or imply you did. :good:

18 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Your fucking WRONG she did start it, FUCK YOU ARE A MORON :guzzle: 

Interesting.  Remember Clinton and Trump were pretty tight back then. 

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/09/26/washington-post-confirms-hillary-clinton-started-the-birther-movement/

:snack:

What Weigel found and re-reported was astounding, details many of us had forgotten or never heard of, including a 2007 bombshell memo from the Clinton campaign’s chief strategist.

What the left-wing Weigel left out of his reporting was even more astounding, including a documented confrontation between Clinton and Obama over the Birther issue, and video of Hillary herself stoking doubt about Obama’s Christian faith.

Because the Washington Post‘s primary job  is to protect Democrats, Weigel’s headline and conclusion are an objective lie. Despite the fact that what he uncovered (and chose to not cover) points directly to Ms. Clinton and her campaign, Weigel concludes she had nothing to do with the Birther movement.

Naturally, Weigel’s own facts support the exact opposite conclusion.

His research, however, is all that matters.

Defcon 4: Mark Penn’s March 2007 Strategy Memo

Everything began in March of 2007 when Hillary’s chief strategist, Mark Penn, wrote a now-infamous campaign memo laying out his overall plan to win the election.

Weigel sums up the Birther elements of Penn’s memo as a nothingburger; indeed, according to Weigel, the memo actually proves that the Clinton campaign wanted nothing to do with Birtherism: “But Penn wrote that as a warning, not a strategy,” Weigel writes.

While most of Weigel’s lies in his defense of Clinton are of omission and deflection, the wrist-flicking of Penn’s memo is pure audacity.

Because this is important, I’m not asking anyone to believe my interpretation of the memo. You can read the memo for yourself here. Below are two mainstream media sources. [emphasis added] As you’ll see, the idea that the memo was a warning against “othering” Obama is preposterous:

The Atlantic:

[Penn] wrote, “I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values.”Penn proposed targeting Obama’s “lack of American roots.”

Bloomberg

The idea of going after Obama’s otherness dates back to the last presidential election—and to Democrats. … Hillary Clinton’s chief strategist, Mark Penn, recognized this potential vulnerability in Obama and sought to exploit it. … Penn wrote: … “[H]is roots to basic American values and culture are at best limited. I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and his values.”

Penn also suggested how the campaign might take advantage of this. “Every speech should contain the line that you were born in the middle of America to the middle class in the middle of the last century,” he advised Clinton. “And talk about the basic bargain as about [sic] the deeply American values you grew up with, learned as a child, and that drive you today.” He went on: “Let’s explicitly own ‘American’ in our programs, the speeches and the values. He doesn’t … Let’s add flag symbols to the backgrounds [of campaign events].”

Bloomberg adds: “Penn was not a birther.”

His memo didn’t raise the issue of Obama’s citizenship. Furthermore, he was acutely aware of the political danger that a Democrat would court by going after Obama in this way, even subliminally: “We are never going to say anything about his background,” he wrote.

That is what the memo said. The truth, though, is that the attacks on Obama’s background would come the following year, and those attacks would not only come from Hillary’s supporters but directly from her own campaign and her own mouth during a nationally televised 60 Minutes interview.

In March of 2007, the campaign could afford to attack Obama’s otherness “subliminally.”

By the following year, as the primary losses mounted, the gloves came completely off.

Defcon 3: Hillary Clinton and Her Supporters Birth ‘Birtherism’

Weigel’s superb reporting uncovered how the Clinton campaign and legions of diehard Clinton supporters took Penn’s othering campaign and the questions surrounding Obama’s faith and birthplace to the next level.

It was no longer subliminal.

By now Clinton’s 2008 presidential aspirations were in serious jeopardy. Pay special attention to what Weigel writes about John Heilemann. Weigel’s lie of omission here is crucial and I’ll address it below:  [emphasis added]

According to John Heilemann and Mark Halperin in Game Change, the most ludicrous “othering” theory that Clinton allies engaged in was that a tape existed, somewhere, of Michelle Obama denouncing “whitey” — and that Clinton herself believed it when consigliere Sid Blumenthal talked about it.

But the Clinton campaign never pursued the idea that Obama was literally not American, and therefore ineligible for the presidency. A small group of hardcore Clinton supporters did. Specifically, anyone reading the fringe Web in the summer of 2008 could find the now-defunct blog called TexasDarlin, the now-defunct blog PUMAParty, and the now-conservative blog HillBuzz posting updates on the hunt for a birth certificate. It was a thin reed, and they knew it.

“It looks like Obama was born in Hawaii, based on a recently discovered birth announcement found in a Hawaiian newspaper,” one HillBuzz blogger wrote in July 2008. “It also looks like the reason Obama refuses to produce his actual birth certificate is that it very likely records dual Kenyan and U.S.  citizenship at Obama’s birth.”

Weigel’s sleight of hand here is genius. Let’s unpack the lies of omission.

1. Weigel uses Bloomberg’s John Heilemann as a witness for the defense of Hillary but intentionally chooses not to tell his readers that a mere two days earlier, on Monday, Heilemann confirmed on MSNBC’s Morning Joe that the Birther movement began with the Clinton campaign.

Again, I’m going to quote a left-wing source:

Host Joe Scarborough called Clinton’s attack on Trump “rich,” saying, “For Hillary Clinton to come out and criticize anybody for spreading the rumors about Barack Obama, when it all started … with her and her campaign passing things around in the Democratic primary[.] … This started with Hillary Clinton, and it was spread by the Clinton team in 2008.” …

Heilemann, author of the insider account of the 2008 election Game Change, said it was the case that Clinton spread the rumors. “It was the case,” he said. “I’m affirming the Scarborough-Brzezinski assertion.”

2. Weigel also chose not to report:

It was not until April 2008, at the height of the intensely bitter Democratic presidential primary process, that the touch paper was properly lit.

An anonymous email circulated by supporters of Mrs. Clinton, Mr Obama’s main rival for the party’s nomination, thrust a new allegation into the national spotlight — that he had not been born in Hawaii.

3. Pretending to be naïve, Weigel uses these third party Democrat attacks on Obama’s identity as proof! that Hillary’s hands are clean, you know, because it’s her supporters raising the conspiracy, and not Hillary.

Apparently, it’s only Republicans who are held accountable for the actions of their supporters.

Apparently, only Republicans are capable of coordinating with outside groups to do their dirty work.

Despite more smoke than you’ll find in Jeff Spicoli’s van, Weigel uses that smoke as proof that there is no fire. This isn’t journalism, it’s desperate partisan spin.

4. Weigel says nothing about the Clinton campaign’s shattering silence during this smear campaign.

5. Weigel doesn’t want his readers to know that Barack Obama himself believes Hillary Clinton started the Birther rumors, even though this fact was reported by no less than Weigel’s own employer at The Washington Post:

Obama and Clinton were both at Reagan National Airport on their way to Iowa for a [2007] debate, and the candidates met on the tarmac for what became a brief but heated conversation. Then-Obama personal aide Reggie Love witnessed the event and describes it in his new memoir:

[Obama] very respectfully told her the apology was kind, but largely meaningless, given the emails it was rumored her camp had been sending out labeling him as a Muslim. Before he could finish his sentence, she exploded on Obama. In a matter of seconds, she went from composed to furious. It had not been Obama’s intention to upset her, but he wasn’t going to play the fool either.

Why Weigel chose to leave all of this crucial information out is obvious.

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

The children.

I want the kids to grow up in this country to know what racism is but not to experience it as hate.

I don't want any kids going hungry but i want them to know the value of food and what it takes to get it on the table.

I want them to get educated but not indoctrinated ..to learn from history what worked and what did not..and throw in the 3 r's so they can balance a damn checkbook at least. Trying to remember all those dates for history test drove me nuts,turned me right off.

I want decent jobs for kids without a college diploma.

I could go on and on but you get my drift i'm sure.

• Like 1