Check your account email address ×

Canadian police seize more than 3,300 pounds of illegal tobacco

ckf

Cigarettes must be expensive in Canada if people are smuggling tobacco across the border. I think the going rate for a pack of smokes here in VT is $9. TA pack of cigs is around $7 in NH. What's the going rate in Canada?

CRTF-seizes-tobacco-bags.jpg

CORNWALL, Ontario —The Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF) seized more than 3,300 pounds of tobacco in one week.

In two separate instances, the CRTF saw suspects trying to smuggle tobacco in Canadian waters.

The CRTF saw a boat Aug. 4 on the St. Lawrence River near the Ontario-Quebec Border. The CRTF said the boat seemed be coming form the Lancaster area.

When the boat docked near Rivière-Beaudette, Quebec, the CRTF saw two people unloading what appeared to be garbage bags of fine-cut tobacco.

The CRTF reported officers saw two other people loading the garbage bags onto a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette mini-van.

Officers arrested the suspects who were seen loading the mini-van, under the Excise Act of 2001.

This act allows the Canadian government to tax the production of raw tobacco leaves. Charges were still pending.

The suspects were not identified.

Police seized more than 1,500 pounds of fine-cut tobacco and the mini-van.

The boat and the other two men had already left, so police were unable to arrest them.

On Aug. 7, the CRTF reported seeing a 2015 Ford F-250 truck pull into Whimpy's Marina in Summertown, Ontario.

The truck left shortly after with two people and a pontoon boat in tow.

Ontario Provincial Police pulled over the truck near Fraser Point, as part of a traffic stop.

CRTF-seizes-tobacco-bags-from-boat.jpg

Ontario police found 400 clear plastic bags filled with 1,900 pounds of illegal fine-cut tobacco. They also found 12 plastic bags filled with almost 9 pounds of cherry-pipe tobacco. The tobacco was hidden under the floor of the boat's deck.

Donat Beaupre, 55, of Les Coteaux, Quebec, and Erikson Beaupre-Preval, 23, of Montreal Nord, Quebec, were charged for possession of fine-cut tobacco, under the Excise Act of 2001.

They were also charged with possession of unmarked cigarettes, under the provincial Tobacco Tax Act.

Beaupre was scheduled to appear in court Oct. 12 in Alexandria, Ontario. Beaupre-Preval was scheduled to appear at the Cornwall Provincial court Sept. 27. 

The CRTF is a joint forces partnership, which includes the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Ontario Provincial Police and the Ontario Ministry of Finance.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Wow, almost $15 a pack, no wonder they are trying to sneak it across the border.

Ya i know back home in ontario...people were buying cheap cigs from the indians all the time.....was alot cheaper....im sure they still do.

4 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Ya i know back home in ontario...people were buying cheap cigs from the indians all the time.....was alot cheaper....im sure they still do.

20/carton at the reservation..was just getting gas for the bike there the other day..it's only 30 miles from my house.

10/pack in ny for the reg cigs.

Edited by Capt.Storm

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

There is an Indian place in St Albans, VT that some smokers around here go to buy cheap cigarettes. It must be a big savings to drive 5 hours round trip for smokes.

1 minute ago, Capt.Storm said:

20/carton at the reservation..was just getting gas for the bike there the other day..it's only 30 miles from my house.

10/pack in ny for the reg cigs.

You quit smoking didnt you?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

There is an Indian place in St Albans, VT that some smokers around here go to buy cheap cigarettes. It must be a big savings to drive 5 hours round trip for smokes.

Ya ive never smoked...seems crazy to me.

With these crazy sin taxes we could see another prohibition type situation here with cartels smuggling booze and smokes. Legal weed and people getting imprisoned for smuggling cigarettes... :lol:

Just now, Anler said:

With these crazy sin taxes we could see another prohibition type situation here with cartels smuggling booze and smokes. Legal weed and people getting imprisoned for smuggling cigarettes... :lol:

it's happening now!

People buy cigs at the reservation then resale them and get busted for it all the time in NY.

Cigarettes and booze are huge underground businesses in Canada because the taxes are so high. If caught with tobacco products where taxes weren't paid the fine is $1 per cigarette. That might not sound like much but emagine how many cigarettes you can get in the back of a truck. Fines can be massive 

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

it's happening now!

People buy cigs at the reservation then resale them and get busted for it all the time in NY.

We have a gas station right by my office. The street it is on is the county line. Cigarettes are a few dollars cheaper there. One time when I was standing in line the gal in front of me bought 20 cartons of cigarettes. When I got up to the cashier I made a crack like "Man she really loves to smoke, eh?" The cashier said people buy them here and then go into the city and sell them for $3-$4 dollars more a pack.

Where I live in Indiana, which is right across the border all roads that cross over the first businesses you will encounter are gas stations, tobacco stores and fireworks. Cigs were so much cheaper in Indiana that Indiana raised the tax on them just because so may out of staters were coming over to buy them, they could charge more and still be significantly cheaper... The raise the taxes for the revenue and then chase away the customers. Brilliant strategy!

1 minute ago, Ebsell said:

Cigarettes and booze are huge underground businesses in Canada because the taxes are so high. If caught with tobacco products where taxes weren't paid the fine is $1 per cigarette. That might not sound like much but emagine how many cigarettes you can get in the back of a truck. Fines can be massive 

I think sin taxes should be thrown out.

15 minutes ago, Anler said:

We have a gas station right by my office. The street it is on is the county line. Cigarettes are a few dollars cheaper there. One time when I was standing in line the gal in front of me bought 20 cartons of cigarettes. When I got up to the cashier I made a crack like "Man she really loves to smoke, eh?" The cashier said people buy them here and then go into the city and sell them for $3-$4 dollars more a pack.

Where I live in Indiana, which is right across the border all roads that cross over the first businesses you will encounter are gas stations, tobacco stores and fireworks. Cigs were so much cheaper in Indiana that Indiana raised the tax on them just because so may out of staters were coming over to buy them, they could charge more and still be significantly cheaper... The raise the taxes for the revenue and then chase away the customers. Brilliant strategy!

All the customers end up dead. Smoking is on the decline big time. It really should be illegal. Addictive, kills, does not get you high. What good is it?

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I was hoping they caught the Ciggy-Butts coming over on the Swayze express. :lol:

x21I60g.jpg

Didn't they send those over to Sebastian Bach? :lol:

Or did they get them from him?

Edited by Biggie Smails