Check your account email address ×

Chinese Retaliation is No Longer a ‘What If’ for Soybean Farmers

What do you say @Highmark ?

Chinese Retaliation is No Longer a ‘What If’ for Soybean Farmers

Posted April 4, 2018

Following China’s announcement of a proposed 25 percent tariff on imported U.S. soybeans, the American Soybean Association (ASA) is again expressing its extreme frustration about the escalation of a trade war with the largest customer of U.S. soybeans, and calling on the White House to reconsider the tariffs that led to this retaliation. China purchases 61 percent of total U.S. soybean exports, and more than 30 percent of overall U.S. soybean production. ASA President and Iowa farmer John Heisdorffer issued the following statement:

“It should surprise no one that China immediately retaliated against our most important exports, including soybeans. We have been warning the administration and members of Congress that this would happen since the prospect for tariffs was raised. That unfortunately doesn’t lend any comfort to the hundreds of thousands of soybean farmers who will be affected by these tariffs. This is no longer a hypothetical, and a 25 percent tariff on U.S. soybeans into China will have a devastating effect on every soybean farmer in America.

“Soybean futures are already down nearly 40 cents a bushel as of this morning. At a projected 2018 crop of 4.3 billion bushels, soybean farmers lost $1.72 billion in value for our crop this morning alone. That’s real money lost for farmers, and it is entirely preventable.

“We regret that the administration has been unable to counter China’s policies on intellectual property and information technology in a way that does not require the use of tariffs. We still have not heard a response from the administration to our March 12 letter requesting to meet with President Trump and discuss how the administration can work with soybean farmers and others in agriculture to find ways to reduce our trade deficit by increasing competitiveness rather than erecting barriers to foreign markets.

“But there is still time to reverse this damage, and the administration can still deliver for farmers by withdrawing the tariffs that caused this retaliation. China has said that its 25 percent tariff will only go into effect based on the course of action the administration takes. We call on President Trump to engage the Chinese in a constructive manner—not a punitive one—and achieve a positive result for soybean farmers.”

https://soygrowers.com/chinese-retaliation-no-longer-soybean-farmers/

10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Planting hasnt begun yet. Plant fuckin corn for ethanol subsidies or some shit.....bunch of twats

I'm assuming no one has ever accused you of being overly bright............

“Soybean futures are already down nearly 40 cents a bushel as of this morning. At a projected 2018 crop of 4.3 billion bushels, soybean farmers lost $1.72 billion in value for our crop this morning alone. That’s real money lost for farmers, and it is entirely preventable.

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm assuming no one has ever accused you of being overly bright............

Where do the soybeans go after they've been harvested? Do the farmers STORE them?

Edited by Legend

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Since the 1980s until 2011, domestic ethanol producers were protected by a 54-cent per gallon import tariff, mainly intended to curb Brazilian sugarcane ethanol imports.

Interesting

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Where do the soybeans go after they've been harvested? Do the farmers STORE them?

I just posted the story the Iowa soybean farmer wrote, what I can tell is that 1 out of every 3 rows of soybeans gets sold to the Chinese, that's in the article BTW :bc: 

Imagine the all the empty freight trains and cargo ships if the Chi-Coms stop buying US soybeans, and we know Brazil is more than happy to take up that slack.

Edited by Mileage Psycho

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I just posted the story the Iowa soybean farmer wrote, what I can tell is that 1 out of every 3 rows of soybeans gets sold to the Chinese, that's the article BTW :bc: 

Imagine the all the empty freight trains and cargo ships if the Chi-Coms stop buying US soybeans, and we know Brazil is more than happy to take up that slack.

Why Brazil? Isnt argentina a bigger exporter of soybeans?

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Brazil soy exporters set to win big from U.S.-China trade spat

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - China’s move to slap tariffs on U.S. farm products sent Brazil soy premiums surging to historic highs on expectations of higher export demand on Wednesday, but traders and analysts warned that Latin America could not entirely replace U.S. production.

China responded to U.S. President Donald Trump’s plans to impose $50 billion in tariffs on its goods by announcing tariffs of equal value on U.S. imports, including a wide range of agricultural products.

Goods produced in South America made the list, including soy, beef, tobacco, cotton and frozen orange juice.

That raised the prospect that China would seek to shift large parts of its agricultural sourcing from the United States to the region. Alternate global suppliers of goods ranging from televisions to vaccines could be unexpected beneficiaries of Trump’s policies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-latin-america/brazil-soy-exporters-set-to-win-big-from-u-s-china-trade-spat-idUSKCN1HB2XK

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

http://www.worldstopexports.com/soya-beans-exports-country/

http://legroupindustries.com/top-10-exporters-of-soybeans-and-soybean-meals-by-country/

Edited by racinfarmer

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I just posted the story the Iowa soybean farmer wrote, what I can tell is that 1 out of every 3 rows of soybeans gets sold to the Chinese, that's in the article BTW :bc: 

So you just copy and paste shit you have no knowledge of??

Yeah, Im the dumb one.......:groin:

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Your a dumb motherfucker....typical Trump guy though.

Just shut up stupid.......take a break from here. You are so fucking dumb you cant tell when the whole forum is just in awe of how fucking stupid you are.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Legend said:

So you just copy and paste shit you have no knowledge of??

Yeah, Im the dumb one.......:groin:

Vince is good at directions.....and telling you how many number 10's can go in a 1 1/4 pipe.......past that take it with a grain of salt 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Vince is good at directions.....and telling you how many number 10's can go in a 1 1/4 pipe.......past that take it with a grain of salt 

Yeah, I have noticed alot of people on here that think they are smart, but are only good at talking shit.

Its unbelievable the amount of deflecting on this site. But it is entertaining.

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yeah, I have noticed alot of people on here that think they are smart, but are only good at talking shit.

Its unbelievable the amount of deflecting on this site. But it is entertaining.

Its a perpetual game of gotcha here.......but when you are a fucking hack and your position is dictated by idiotic partisanship you are guaranteed to be made a fool of.......see MC's performance today for example 

Some farmers might have to change their money making models. Like changing crops, or possibly thinking about not taking out a $1.2m loan on a harvester.....

Maybe they can have moto gather up some workers to hand harvest the food our society needs to survive.....

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

but traders and analysts warned that Latin America could not entirely replace U.S. production.

The Chinese will still have to buy some US soybeans, the tariff will force US farmers to reduce their price to compete against a market that already sells for less than we do.

I really do hope for the sake of US farmers that some trade deal is done, the timing for the Chinese to hit US soybeans is perfect as South America's crop is being harvested and ours is being planted, farmers understand the futures market and apparently so do the Chinks.

Just now, f7ben said:

Its a perpetual game of gotcha here.......but when you are a fucking hack and your position is dictated by idiotic partisanship you are guaranteed to be made a fool of.......see MC's performance today for example 

I really dont even read his posts anymore. Its not even entertaining.

I prefer reading Zam and SR trying to figure out who is gonna fuck and who is gonna be fucked.

1 minute ago, Legend said:

I really dont even read his posts anymore. Its not even entertaining.

I prefer reading Zam and SR trying to figure out who is gonna fuck and who is gonna be fucked.

Well thats simple......they are both gonna gets fucked raw everytime they argue with someone other than amongst themselves :lol: 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I can really disparage you, but why pick on the simple :bc: 

Let's get the trade war going :bc: