Check your account email address ×

Building a Moto-X Track?

I helped build our go kart track 15 years ago.  We had someone donate the heavy equipment time.  These days, if you don't have all the dirt you need on site, I'd bet you could blow through a hundred grand in a hurry.  

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Here is a side picture of mine.  I run into the woods and that makes it hard to see from the air

image.thumb.png.3912ebb71b4f7170f8aa660b07bfb222.png

Not to be a dick but I was under the impression he wanted to build a real track, one that people would pay to ride, that' a typical back yard track

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

GOOD LORD!!!  That is WAY more than I was even considering.  Pretty sweet though.  You ride moto too?  I know you said you don't SX race anymore.

Let's put it this way.  I drive a MX bike around a track.  I can make triples into doubles and doubles into singles.  LOL

1 minute ago, MiSledder said:

Not to be a dick but I was under the impression he wanted to build a real track, one that people would pay to ride, that' a typical back yard track

No....just getting some ideas.  Like I said, me and a buddy just started looking at building a couple of jumps and a table top on our property and now it's kinda grown a bit since I spoted a 40 acre plot down the road.  It's be kinda fun to open it up on a limited basis to the public...or maybe not?  Just doing some "thunkery"

25 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I got one at my place and like highmark said, you will be moving an unbelievable amount of dirt.  Make sure you have the ability to do that and have some place with easy access to it.

Remember when building it, that

A.  Know where the sun will be at all times.

B.  Know where water sits and where it will get dusty and plan for that

C.  Remember your neighbors, regarding noise and dust.

Good points.  My brother and I built a couple over the years, the biggest advice i can give is to locate it away from population so you don't get noise complaints.  Get a lawyer to write up a good liability waiver to make everyone sign.  Property needs to be secured, it helps if you have a decent size bulldozer,. ramsteer and a few other pieces of equipment for maintenance.  Lots of big tables rewards skill and balls, but won't hurt little Johnny if he doesn' clear it on his 80.  Good dirt is key.  We rented 11 acres that was an old corn field, next to water.  After we gave up control (retired from ridin), the the new guy built a pretty sweet irrigation system for keeping the dust down.  Its not cheap, its very time consuming, and you still are likely to have people fighting you, so the more remote the better.  The last one we built in 2000 is still going strong, and oddly isn't far from some high end subdivisions.  2 minute laptimes,not a single rock.  I miss racing. :lol: 

Edited by DriftBusta

2 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

I figured he just wanted a small private back yard track.  That's all we have.  To much work involved for a REAL track, then you have to deal with the trailers, people you don't know, etc.

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Let's put it this way.  I drive a MX bike around a track.  I can make triples into doubles and doubles into singles.  LOL

I started out on moto but it's been about 20 years since I've fucked with it.  I've been toying with the idea for a few years now.  I'm selling my wife it's less dangerous than my rice rocket racing days....I'm not really sure though.  :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Good points.  My brother and I built a couple over the years, the biggest advice i can give is to locate it away from population so you don't get noise complaints.  Get a lawyer to write up a good liability waiver to make everyone sign.  Property needs to be secured, it helps if you have a decent size bulldozer,. ramsteer and a few other pieces of equipment for maintenance.  Lots of big tables rewards skill and balls, but won't hurt little Johnny if he doesn' clear it on his 80.  Good dirt is key.  We rented 11 acres that was an old corn field, next to water.  After we gave up control (retired from ridin), the the new guy built a pretty sweet irrigation system for keeping the dust down.  Its not cheap, its very time consuming, and you still are likely to have people fighting you, so the more remote the better.  I miss racing. :lol: 

Couldn't agree more on this point, problem is they need the most fill or natural land contours to create.  My buddies track is for advanced riders has few tabletops.   Most jumps drop off significantly so you can't even hardly jump at all unless you are making the whole thing unless you want to land flat from a 15 ft drop.  :lol:  

The state tracks I ride are full of tabletops.   Fun for any level.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Couldn't agree more on this point, problem is they need the most fill or natural land contours to create.  My buddies track is for advanced riders has few tabletops.   Most jumps drop off significantly so you can't even hardly jump at all unless you are making the whole thing unless you want to land flat from a 15 ft drop.  :lol:  

The state tracks I ride are full of tabletops.   Fun for any level.  

Yup.  I see no reason to have any jump like that.  ERX did that shit a while back for one of their open weekends and riders were casing the jump or lawn darting and destroying their machines.  

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Good points.  My brother and I built a couple over the years, the biggest advice i can give is to locate it away from population so you don't get noise complaints.  Get a lawyer to write up a good liability waiver to make everyone sign.  Property needs to be secured, it helps if you have a decent size bulldozer,. ramsteer and a few other pieces of equipment for maintenance.  Lots of big tables rewards skill and balls, but won't hurt little Johnny if he doesn' clear it on his 80.  Good dirt is key.  We rented 11 acres that was an old corn field, next to water.  After we gave up control (retired from ridin), the the new guy built a pretty sweet irrigation system for keeping the dust down.  Its not cheap, its very time consuming, and you still are likely to have people fighting you, so the more remote the better.  The last one we built in 2000 is still going strong, and oddly isn't far from some high end subdivisions.  2 minute laptimes,not a single rock.  I miss racing. :lol: 

I know you used to race in Maine quite a bit. You ever run the track out behind my house in Norridgewock?

1 minute ago, T1R9sledder said:

I know you used to race in Maine quite a bit. You ever run the track out behind my house in Norridgewock?

I didn't know that's where you were from. Wife's family has a place in Harmoney.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:bc: 

Damn nice!

Kid is really good.   Too old to really go after it now (19).  Year he was going places then he wrecked on that jump and got messed up pretty bad.   Couple broken wrists, broken ribs and what not so he missed a really important year.   He had already beat a couple kids that placed top 5 or 10 at Loretta Lynn later that year in his class.  Damn expensive sport.   Love watching him ride.   

Edited by Highmark