Check your account email address ×

Building a Moto-X Track?

Any body know anything about building a Moto-X track?  Thinking of picking up a parcel by my place and making one.  Doubling as a SX track in winter.  It doesn't neet to be a full out race track...just something cool to goof around on.  I also think there's enough interest locally to support the initial investment.  Got a call into the County, DNR and EPA already to see what limitations this peice has..(it's got some wetland).

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Anybody?

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Any body know anything about building a Moto-X track?  Thinking of picking up a parcel by my place and making one.  Doubling as a SX track in winter.  It doesn't neet to be a full out race track...just something cool to goof around on.  I also think there's enough interest locally to support the initial investment.  Got a call into the County, DNR and EPA already to see what limitations this peice has..(it's got some wetland).

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Anybody?

If you do a search I posted a thread last year on the same thing.

What I can tell you is be prepared to move a unbelievable amount of dirt to make it even remotely what you know of as a track.  I didn't want to do much change to the natural layout of my property so I started by have 20+ loads delivered.  Literally didn't scratch the surface.  I got 6 banked corners about 2-3 ft high and 4 small jumps.   It would take 200 loads to make anything significant if you don't a have the material to move around on the site.     

Guy who works for me built an amazing one a while back.   He was lucky as they were doing ditch work along his road so he got an almost endless supply of material for next to nothing.  I think he said he got something in the neighborhood of 600 loads.   

To put it in perspective 1 load builds about 1-2 rhythm section bumps.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

I do, I'm the VP of a motocross club track, we have 80 acres and have been around since 1964, the first thing you want to do is get your head examined

:lol: Already did.  It didn't take.  :lmao:

I've been looking at some plans.  MN has all kinds of fucking regulations like how much dirt I can bring in.  WUT?  It's nuts.  This all started when me and a buddy were looking at our property and thinking we could build something on them then it kinda snowballed a bit.  Not sure where it's going or even if I can get it done yet.  Hell, the land would be a good investment if I can build a small track just for the helluva it.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What about liability?  Would be my main concern with people's lack of personal responsibility.

Everyone who rides signs a liability disclosure.   Only way to do it on a private track.   Public tracks you can get insurance for no different than snowmobile trails.   We have a few state riding areas within about an hour of me that have multiple tracks.  Suing a track/trail is tough.   You have to prove they intentionally did something to cause an injury.  The one has a helipad.   That about tells you how often riders get hurt.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

What about liability?  Would be my main concern with people's lack of personal responsibility.

Oh...big concern.  Like I said.  Not sure how this is going to transpire.  I know a "Hold Harmless" agreement won't fly in any commercial manner for something like this.  Insurance won't even begin to quote me until they see plans and I get permits.  It's all in the beginning stages but I have a feeling it's going to end up strickly as personal use...just friends.  

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Everyone who rides signs a liability disclosure.   Only way to do it on a private track.   Public tracks you can get insurance for no different than snowmobile trails.   We have a few state riding areas within about an hour of me.  Suing a track/trail is tough.   You have to prove they intentionally did something to cause an injury.  

Good to know thats why I made the comment.

i think the biggest problem I'm going to have here is permits to bring in fill dirt.  There are cattails on the property and based on my last experience building my place, MN DNR and EPA are tough to deal with on this.  We had to do a little "hint, hint...wink, wink" on what I wanted to do on my current piece.  That's a far cry from what I'd like to do here.  This land is pretty flat too.  So.........

Can't get the god damn county to call me back to see if I can even get permitted.  EPA and DNR already stuck their nose in my business....almost as if their little alarms went off!  :lol:

I got one at my place and like highmark said, you will be moving an unbelievable amount of dirt.  Make sure you have the ability to do that and have some place with easy access to it.

Remember when building it, that

A.  Know where the sun will be at all times.

B.  Know where water sits and where it will get dusty and plan for that

C.  Remember your neighbors, regarding noise and dust.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

I got one at my place and like highmark said, you will be moving an unbelievable amount of dirt.  Make sure you have the ability to do that and have some place with easy access to it.

Remember when building it, that

A.  Know where the sun will be at all times.

B.  Know where water sits and where it will get dusty and plan for that

C.  Remember your neighbors, regarding noise and dust.

Hey, can you and @highmark take a pic or two for me?  Nothing special, just curious of the layout.  :bc:

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:lol: Already did.  It didn't take.  :lmao:

I've been looking at some plans.  MN has all kinds of fucking regulations like how much dirt I can bring in.  WUT?  It's nuts.  This all started when me and a buddy were looking at our property and thinking we could build something on them then it kinda snowballed a bit.  Not sure where it's going or even if I can get it done yet.  Hell, the land would be a good investment if I can build a small track just for the helluva it.

We completely rebuilt our track last nov. We rented an 750 cat dozer, the guy spent 80 hours in it, 7500 dollars for dozer rental,  new tunnel was 6000.00,  seed for sides of jumps 1000,  fuel,  most of the fencing had to come down, we built 17 new flagging stands at 230 each, etc. In total we spent 22k rebuilding an existing track

Edited by MiSledder

Just now, Zambroski said:

Hey, can you and @highmark take a pic or two for me?  Nothing special, just curious of the layout.  :bc:

This is not mine, but it is a friend's that I ride at.  You can't see mine from above on google.

image.thumb.png.d49ed2a8c2b37afbd5eb4e732f508a67.png

Insurance is 800 an event day,  ambulance is 90 an hour, flagged get 75 dollars per day, I hire 4 every event to spread out member flagging hours, if I let members flag they get all their time done in the beginning of the yr and no one wants to flag at end of season

Each active club member has to work 65 hours a yr at our club, after 10 yrs youre a lifer and don' have to contribute

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This is not mine, but it is a friend's that I ride at.  You can't see mine from above on google.

image.thumb.png.d49ed2a8c2b37afbd5eb4e732f508a67.png

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Another that you can see from google that I ride at.

image.thumb.png.3533b0a7a6231bf71739ecb059f4a0ff.png

GOOD LORD!!!  That is WAY more than I was even considering.  Pretty sweet though.  You ride moto too?  I know you said you don't SX race anymore.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

GOOD LORD!!!  That is WAY more than I was even considering.  Pretty sweet though.  You ride moto too?  I know you said you don't SX race anymore.

You'll need 50 plus acres, everyone drives 70 foot worth of trailer and motorbikes :lol: