Check your account email address ×

Dumb ass Republicans

Congress Once Again Set To Defund Nonexistent Group

ACORN disbanded years ago, but Republicans are nevertheless targeting the defunct group in their spending bill.
By Arthur Delaney and Zach Carter

WASHINGTON ― During the Barack Obama years, Republicans in Congress grew accustomed to kicking around one particular organization that advocated for the poor ― a group they claimed had been involved in a nefarious conspiracy to steal the 2008 election.

After nearly a decade, lawmakers are still at it, even though Obama is gone and the organization no longer exists.

On Thursday, the House of Representatives approved a 2,000-plus-page government spending bill. One small item in that mammoth bill bans federal funds from being spent to support a group called the Association for Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

Republicans loathed the group. They accused it ― baselessly ― of engineering a campaign of mass voter fraud and thus rigging the 2008 election in favor of then-candidate Barack Obama. Republicans hated ACORN so much that they effectively killed it all the way back in 2009 by blocking federal funding to the organization, which helped poor people register to vote and advocated for social services like affordable housing. Many Democrats also voted in favor of the original ban. 

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a member of the committee that drafted the spending bill ― which has to get through the Senate before Friday night to prevent the federal government from partially shutting down ― was unaware of the provision. He said it might be leftover language from previous bills that staffers had inserted.

“I don’t remember this ever being discussed one time,” Cole told HuffPost. “It wasn’t discussed at a hearing. I don’t remember it being discussed at any meeting with my Democratic colleagues and counterparts who negotiated the bill.”

A Republican aide said leftover provisions like this one are often carried forward automatically until lawmakers decide to remove them. Congress has repeatedly approved similar provisions that specifically target the group in the years since ACORN disbanded.

The section says: “None of the funds made available under this or any other Act, or any prior Appropriations Act, may be provided to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, allied organizations, or successors.”

ACORN, of course, has no affiliates, subsidiaries, or allies because it does not exist. “Successors” is not a legally defined term in corporate or nonprofit law.

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), another member of the House Appropriations Committee, which drafted the so-called omnibus bill, pointed out that ACORN does not currently exist. “They did it in!” she said. 

“Banning funding for ACORN? That was like eight fake conspiracy theories ago,” one former Hill staffer told HuffPost.

The bipartisan attack on ACORN’s funding in 2009 came after right-wing con man James O’Keefe aired a selectively edited video featuring the group on Fox News. The video appeared to show ACORN employees helping O’Keefe deal with paperwork problems associated with running an underage prostitution ring. Multiple government investigations ultimately cleared ACORN, and O’Keefe eventually agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a lawsuit from one of the people he filmed. Under the settlement, O’Keefe formally acknowledged that he did not know that the man involved ― who had been portrayed as a willing abettor to O’Keefe’s fictional illegal operation ― had in fact called the police shortly after speaking with O’Keefe.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who led the 2009 congressional attack on ACORN from the House Oversight Committee, said it made sense to continue to ban ACORN’s funding.

“It was proven to be a criminal enterprise,” Issa told HuffPost on Thursday. “Is there any reason to continue to fund it?”

HuffPost pointed out that ACORN no longer exists, but Issa noted that the legislation also targets affiliates or successors of the organization.

“Plenty of organizations change no one in the hierarchy, none of the tactics, but change the name,” Issa said.

But he said he was unaware of any ACORN successors.

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Congress Once Again Set To Defund Nonexistent Group

ACORN disbanded years ago, but Republicans are nevertheless targeting the defunct group in their spending bill.
By Arthur Delaney and Zach Carter

WASHINGTON ― During the Barack Obama years, Republicans in Congress grew accustomed to kicking around one particular organization that advocated for the poor ― a group they claimed had been involved in a nefarious conspiracy to steal the 2008 election.

After nearly a decade, lawmakers are still at it, even though Obama is gone and the organization no longer exists.

On Thursday, the House of Representatives approved a 2,000-plus-page government spending bill. One small item in that mammoth bill bans federal funds from being spent to support a group called the Association for Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

Republicans loathed the group. They accused it ― baselessly ― of engineering a campaign of mass voter fraud and thus rigging the 2008 election in favor of then-candidate Barack Obama. Republicans hated ACORN so much that they effectively killed it all the way back in 2009 by blocking federal funding to the organization, which helped poor people register to vote and advocated for social services like affordable housing. Many Democrats also voted in favor of the original ban. 

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a member of the committee that drafted the spending bill ― which has to get through the Senate before Friday night to prevent the federal government from partially shutting down ― was unaware of the provision. He said it might be leftover language from previous bills that staffers had inserted.

“I don’t remember this ever being discussed one time,” Cole told HuffPost. “It wasn’t discussed at a hearing. I don’t remember it being discussed at any meeting with my Democratic colleagues and counterparts who negotiated the bill.”

A Republican aide said leftover provisions like this one are often carried forward automatically until lawmakers decide to remove them. Congress has repeatedly approved similar provisions that specifically target the group in the years since ACORN disbanded.

The section says: “None of the funds made available under this or any other Act, or any prior Appropriations Act, may be provided to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, allied organizations, or successors.”

ACORN, of course, has no affiliates, subsidiaries, or allies because it does not exist. “Successors” is not a legally defined term in corporate or nonprofit law.

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), another member of the House Appropriations Committee, which drafted the so-called omnibus bill, pointed out that ACORN does not currently exist. “They did it in!” she said. 

“Banning funding for ACORN? That was like eight fake conspiracy theories ago,” one former Hill staffer told HuffPost.

The bipartisan attack on ACORN’s funding in 2009 came after right-wing con man James O’Keefe aired a selectively edited video featuring the group on Fox News. The video appeared to show ACORN employees helping O’Keefe deal with paperwork problems associated with running an underage prostitution ring. Multiple government investigations ultimately cleared ACORN, and O’Keefe eventually agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a lawsuit from one of the people he filmed. Under the settlement, O’Keefe formally acknowledged that he did not know that the man involved ― who had been portrayed as a willing abettor to O’Keefe’s fictional illegal operation ― had in fact called the police shortly after speaking with O’Keefe.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who led the 2009 congressional attack on ACORN from the House Oversight Committee, said it made sense to continue to ban ACORN’s funding.

“It was proven to be a criminal enterprise,” Issa told HuffPost on Thursday. “Is there any reason to continue to fund it?”

HuffPost pointed out that ACORN no longer exists, but Issa noted that the legislation also targets affiliates or successors of the organization.

“Plenty of organizations change no one in the hierarchy, none of the tactics, but change the name,” Issa said.

But he said he was unaware of any ACORN successors.

the legislation also targets affiliates or successors of the organization.

It's like groundhog day in here everyday with MC posting up a bunch of garbage he gets sucked into believing. And then.... nope. Shot all to hell. Every time. :lol:

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, JEFF said:

It's like groundhog day in here everyday with MC posting up a bunch of garbage he gets sucked into believing. And then.... nope. Shot all to hell. Every time. :lol:

If there is ever a remake Bill Murry will call MC to play him.

3 minutes ago, JEFF said:

It's a constant barrage of stories trying to put down the gop in any way, shape, or form.  Anything to try and get something back and try to make democrats relevant again. 

dopo is about the perfect representative of a trumpster, a poster child. led around with his nose ring by the elitists he cries about, thinking they're more like him, and cleaning up DC. when in reality, they're the elitists and they're filling up DC with undesirables. my god it must suck to be so dumb and gullible.

Just now, Snoslinger said:

dopo is about the perfect representative of a trumpster, a poster child. led around with his nose ring by the elitists he cries about, thinking they're more like him, and cleaning up DC. when in reality, they're the elitists and they're filling up DC with undesirables. my god it must suck to be so dumb and gullible.

I’m enjoying all the extra money in my pay now and my retirement. Life couldn’t be better. Now if the Kenyan had done such a thing I’d be praising him. But that’s not the case. It sucks to be on the losing end repeatedly eh?

3 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

I’m enjoying all the extra money in my pay now and my retirement. Life couldn’t be better. Now if the Kenyan had done such a thing I’d be praising him. But that’s not the case. It sucks to be on the losing end repeatedly eh?

and you weren't enjoying it before? oh wait, that is when it was fake. :lol:

I'm not sure why people like MC don't understand how politics works. If the GOP goes after a group like Acorn then it's doing it so they can deflect from the fact that they still fund planned parenthood and sanctuary cities. 

another great example of dopo's stpudity. starts with $2 in his retirement account when Obama comes in. after Obama he has $20. trump is in office a fraction of the time Obama was, now has $21, and contributes all his savings to trump! fucking a I missed pointing our your stupidity, dopo. change your name all ya want, but you're still "dopo" in my book.

btw what has sanders said recently? :lol:

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

and you weren't enjoying it before? oh wait, that is when it was fake. :lol:

Enjoying extra money before? The Kenyan created zero extra money for anyone of us deplorables. All he did was cost us money repeatedly. 10 fucking trillion dollars all on his own! With nothing to show for it. Wtf

Snot and his high echelon party getting knocked a peg or 2 down at every corner. Fucking priceless. Keep trying for something... it’s gotta be there.. this is it.. he’s going down in flames.. lmao

• Like 1