Check your account email address ×

Canada is whining

Don’t treat us like North Korea: Canadian aluminum producers offended by Trump

Saturday. “The U.S. has been provided by Canada with responsibly-produced, low carbon, fairly traded aluminum for about 70 years. (Now) we are dealt with like we were North Korea.”

Trump has not spelled out how the tariffs could be applied to Canada, or other nations, offering only passing remarks via Twitter about the benefits of “easy to win” trade wars and recovering lost jobs.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said Trump’s security threat premise “makes no sense” when it comes to Canada.

“That's why this is absolutely unacceptable, and it's a point we've made many times, that I've made directly with the president,” he said at an event in Barrie, Ont., on Friday. “It's one that we're going continue to engage with all levels of the U.S. administration on.”

The U.S. purchased 86 per cent of Canada’s aluminum exports in 2016 at a cost of US$6.98 billion, according to figures from the United Nations COMTRADE database on international trade. About 90 per cent of the aluminum used by U.S. companies to produce everything from beer cans to fighter jets comes from outside the country.

“Today the average plant in the U.S. is about 40 years old. It’s not competitive. The price of energy is too high to be competitive,” Simard said. “What the president has announced is more of a protectionist measure than anything else to try to bring back jobs that will cost a tremendous amount of money to the U.S. economy.”

Simard said U.S. manufactures have gotten used to “tremendously” cheaper prices thanks to China’s massive aluminum production capacity, while domestic smelters have sat idle. He predicts the resulting upward pressure on aluminum prices will weigh on the U.S. economy, and said a maximum of only 1,900 jobs stand to be gained.

“The last economic analysis as of yesterday demonstrates that they are going to kill 20,000 to 90,000 jobs in the downstream industry, because basically the U.S. will now be paying 10 per cent more for their aluminum than in the rest of the world,” Simard said.

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Keeps you guys out of the homeland and trips to banff cheap. 

I used to think the Americans were bad. But in the middle class blue collar states they’re mostly nice. People from Toronto and especially Quebec are the worst 

• Like 2

The whole thing is a huge cluster fuck. We are going to hurt Canada more than China. The US steel industry is important and I know we have some guys here who work for it, but at what cost are we going to pay for one industry? Where are his fucking advisors? 

It is fun watching the fiscal conservatives explain this as “winning” though hahaha... 

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

They are 17th. That’s not exactly the point though... 

17th????????

Hmmmm.....I bet we are their #1 customer too.  By a long shot.  In fact...I bet there isn't even a #2 worth mentioning.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

17th????????

Hmmmm.....I bet we are their #1 customer too.  By a long shot.  In fact...I bet there isn't even a #2 worth mentioning.

No doubt.  Plus Trudeau just introduced a new Gendercare budget that may no longer balance itself and it doesn't look like the economy is growing from the heart out anymore.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No doubt.  Plus Trudeau just introduced a new Gendercare budget that may no longer balance itself and it doesn't look like the economy is growing from the heart out anymore.

That last budget announcement was pure insanity :lol: how the fuck you can make a genderqueer budget I dunno but Trudeau did it 

6 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Yep. Also, not the point. 

So, I'm guessing our total net trade deficit with them falls under NAFTA with Mexico...an agreement in which we have been taking it in the ass for decades while we lose jobs and companies.

Hmmm.......like I said.....let's just see where this all goes. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Is this real?  And what do you mean by "growing from the hear out"?  Serious questions.

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nobody really knows. @ICEMAN! might. He loves JarJars fluff

:lol:

Yeah....but I really don't want to hear any answers from him.  I can make up more convincing lies and bullshit to tell myself if that's what I'm after.

Just now, Zambroski said:

:lol:

Yeah....but I really don't want to hear any answers from him.  I can make up more convincing lies and bullshit to tell myself if that's what I'm after.

I swear all people from the GTA can’t be as gay as IcePeople