Check your account email address ×

85% fatality rate...

Just now, hwytohell said:

A few guys that have tried , crashed , an were never found again . Super high speed  runs on water have nasty results.

That statistic really blew me away. Dangerous stuff. Just so many variables to deal with. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That statistic really blew me away. Dangerous stuff. Just so many variables to deal with. 

Correct , didn't some guy on a double digit run hit a Duck on a glass smooth lake an the boat exploded into pieces ?   Better have your personal affairs in order before you strap in for the ride.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have Met Ken Warby and after you spend a few minutes with him you realize that the man although lovable is completely crazy.  The speed record will stand because it is a suicide mission to push it past where it is now. 

After reading about his run I’d say it was more or less pure luck that he did it. Unless there’s some sort of high speed hull technology, it’ll stand a long time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I have Met Ken Warby and after you spend a few minutes with him you realize that the man although lovable is completely crazy.  The speed record will stand because it is a suicide mission to push it past where it is now. 

For now.

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

After reading about his run I’d say it was more or less pure luck that he did it. Unless there’s some sort of high speed hull technology, it’ll stand a long time. 

It is really even worse than that. After falling short on top speed in some early runs he and his engineer (Mind you Ken made his boat himself behind his home  under a lean to attached to the garage) came to the conclusion that they had to much drag.  So the engineer came up with the idea to shorten the rudder which Ken did with a hacksaw in the parking lot the night before his record runs. Yea Ken is a nut.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Natural selection doing it given the odds of death.

Climbing K2 had about a 25% death rate at one time.   Its lower now.  

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

It is the math of going fast on water that will keep the record where it is. 

You would think somebody could develop a driver capsule that would protect the driver when the boat explodes at those speeds. Regardless, you have to be one crazy sob to pursue breaking a record like that knowing the fatality rate is that high.

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

You would think somebody could develop a driver capsule that would protect the driver when the boat explodes at those speeds. Regardless, you have to be one crazy sob to pursue breaking a record like that knowing the fatality rate is that high.

The nitro drag boat guys have safety capsules now and they run near 240 mph. Even at those lower speeds they crash a boat at almost every event. Eddie Hill was a pretty successful top fuel dragster driver in the NHRA. He came from drag boat racing to car racing because it was much safer in the cars. His last bad crash in a boat put him in the hospital for a half a year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Unlimited Hydroplanes run in excess of 200 mph which is a far cry from 300 plus but they have excellent survivability in crashes.

Its the force of the impact multiplied by many exponents as speed increases that kills on the water

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Is it time to ban water?

No, it's time to legalize all drugs. Wanna set a speed record? You might die. Wanna get hooked on heroin? You might die. Your body, your choice.

• Like 2

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

No you dad not

Sleds of note were a cfr800 , crossfire 1000 , z1 turbo on 210 flash and 850 etec gade xrs

1004 crushed them all out of the hole and it took them 1500+ plus to catch me ...the cfr , turbo and etec all crawled by me after I ran out of steam. I was only getting 110 speedo or so. CFR was fastest on top and was showing 112 on speedo. This was all on hardpack less than 100% conditions 

Here is the best part :lol: I was only shifting out at 7500 rpm on the old zrt 800 clutching. I took the secondary out to see what was in it and it was a straight 51 helix ....I assume both springs are worn out as well.

When I get the clutching setup there wont be a stock sled that will run close. I was shocked how strong it was out of the hole and through the midrange even with such low rpm

Jetting was 100% perfect for the cold temps and the sled ran great....got about 9mpg as well. I love it

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Sleds of note were a cfr800 , crossfire 1000 , z1 turbo on 210 flash and 850 etec gade xrs

1004 crushed them all out of the hole and it took them 1500+ plus to catch me ...the cfr , turbo and etec all crawled by me after I ran out of steam. I was only getting 110 speedo or so. CFR was fastest on top and was showing 112 on speedo. This was all on hardpack less than 100% conditions 

Here is the best part :lol: I was only shifting out at 7500 rpm on the old zrt 800 clutching. I took the secondary out to see what was in it and it was a straight 51 helix ....I assume both springs are worn out as well.

When I get the clutching setup there wont be a stock sled that will run close. I was shocked how strong it was out of the hole and through the midrange even with such low rpm

Jetting was 100% perfect for the cold temps and the sled ran great....got about 9mpg as well. I love it

:lol: