Check your account email address ×

Speaking of stocks

All this talk about the Dow up this, S+P up that, buy oil stocks now...

Thought I'd start a thread to gain a few tips from some of the investors on the forum, what companies have yielded the most profit, or consistent yield (dividend or structure) ?

💰💰💰💰

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Thought I'd start a thread to gain a few tips from some of the investors on the forum, what companies have yielded the most profit, or consistent yield (dividend or structure) ?

💰💰💰💰

Oil?

Could be but it hasn't been for the past decade.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Christ, between "Polaris 5.5and a half" and, "has to say F 7 times in a post Ben" I figured this would "trigger" a few...  At least some actual financial wisdom from the "Jr. Warren Buffet's" on the forum... 😖

HA!HA! I don't really know too much about the market. All I can tell you is that it's a LONG TERM INVESTMENT option. The only advice I can give you is to find solid companies that pay good dividends. DIVERSIFICATION is key!!!

Don't panic when the market drops, don't sell!! Don't try to play it day by day, week by week. Let the fucking portfolio sit and smolder for year after year, with DIVIDEND- REINVESTMENT.

Don't invest if you can't stand the corrections/ crashes.

Let the advisers or your account manager pick the stocks for you, if you aren't sure what you want.

There is ALWAYS a risk involved with the market.........ALWAYS. However, when it's going good, you can make money literally for sitting on your ass.

An adviser can tell you how to manage your portfolio regarding RISK LEVEL. Younger people invest AGGRESSIVELY, older people invest with LOWER RISK.

Call a brokerage house and ask to meet with an advisor, they should be able to answer all your questions, and set you up with a neat little account.

I have to say, there is nothing like logging on to your account at night, and seeing that you made numerous dollar bills. You can also LOSE those dollar bills, but GENERALLY-SPEAKING the market is good for about a 10% per year growth. This past year with Trump-Head it has been about 20%.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Christ, between "Polaris 5.5and a half" and, "has to say F 7 times in a post Ben" I figured this would "trigger" a few...  At least some actual financial wisdom from the "Jr. Warren Buffet's" on the forum... 😖

Buy actively managed mutual funds.  Some of them returned over 37% last year.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

💰💰💰💰

OK sorry I didn't answer one of your question. For almost TEN years all I basically made was about 5%. This was due to the DIVIDENDS, not the price of the stocks going up.

This past year the STOCK PRICES went up, and my portfolio really mushroomed.

I don't know how much longer it will continue, I'm thinking about another 12 months. Could be more, could be less. We have a lot of geo-political serious issues facing us, so anything is possible.

7 hours ago, polaris550 said:

OK sorry I didn't answer one of your question. For almost TEN years all I basically made was about 5%. This was due to the DIVIDENDS, not the price of the stocks going up.

This past year the STOCK PRICES went up, and my portfolio really mushroomed.

I don't know how much longer it will continue, I'm thinking about another 12 months. Could be more, could be less. We have a lot of geo-political serious issues facing us, so anything is possible.

Great responses, thanks!

Any particular stocks that you're horny for in your portfolio recently? What is the recommended investment vs liquid holdings that one of these managers generally look for?

Is there an amount 💰 required to start with?

7 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Buy actively managed mutual funds.  Some of them returned over 37% last year.

37% sounds good to me! 

I don't even remember what I am in. I know I have some blackrock mutual funds, I own Procter and Gamble and have for a long time, Chevron, and I just bought Amazon. Wish I would have bought Amazon sooner. I'll have to look up the rest. 

7 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

I don't even remember what I am in. I know I have some blackrock mutual funds, I own Procter and Gamble and have for a long time, Chevron, and I just bought Amazon. Wish I would have bought Amazon sooner. I'll have to look up the rest. 

Amazon is silly expensive, and last I looked at a 3 year high! 😥

59 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Great responses, thanks!

Any particular stocks that you're horny for in your portfolio recently? What is the recommended investment vs liquid holdings that one of these managers generally look for?

Is there an amount 💰 required to start with?

37% sounds good to me! 

The 60% stocks vs the 30% bonds and 10% cash is the 1970's Brady Bunch portfolio.  It might be a good move, when you're 80.:lol:

Some financial institutions want 250K min so they can advise you on how to struggle to beat inflation.:lol:

I look at 3 and 5 year, as one year really means nothing.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The 60% stocks vs the 30% bonds and 10% cash is the 1970's Brady Bunch portfolio.  It might be a good move, when you're 80.:lol:

Some financial institutions want 250K min so they can advise you on how to struggle to beat inflation.:lol:

I look at 3 and 5 year, as one year really means nothing.

250 huh, yikes...

What's with the other laughing, please explain? ☺

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

250 huh, yikes...

What's with the other laughing, please explain? ☺

You really need explaining?

The only part making gains are the equity portion unless you are into high yield (junk bonds), other wise you might as well have a 40% cash position.

Most institutions target 4% for high wealth clients, meeting/exceeding the benchmark index is off the table.

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You really need explaining?

The only part making gains are the equity portion unless you are into high yield (junk bonds), other wise you might as well have a 40% cash position.

Most institutions target 4% for high wealth clients, meeting/exceeding the benchmark index is off the table.

I understand now, thanks for the clarification. I recently read bonds are now outdated and unreliable. Much appreciated! ☺

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

If you don't have the time or desire to babaysit it go with mutual funds.

Mutual funds, and REITs are my main portfolio as of late.

I apologize if my op was unclear. I'm was looking into playing with some stocks in the open market, similar to the ones I mentioned above. Wanted to know if anyone else has messed around with E-trade type stocks. Open it up to discussions on experiences, pros and cons, tips, other up coming interested investments, etc.

6 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Mutual funds, and REITs are my main portfolio as of late.

Stocks seem so highly priced to me now. Mutual funds is probably the best way to go. I’ve been sitting on some cash waiting for a crash so I can scoop some up cheap. But that just isn’t happening right now.

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Stocks seem so highly priced to me now. Mutual funds is probably the best way to go. I’ve been sitting on some cash waiting for a crash so I can scoop some up cheap. But that just isn’t happening right now.

Same here! That's what I'm talking about, what stocks have you been eyeing? ☺

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I apologize if my op was unclear. I'm was looking into playing with some stocks in the open market, similar to the ones I mentioned above. Wanted to know if anyone else has messed around with E-trade type stocks. Open it up to discussions on experiences, pros and cons, tips, other up coming interested investments, etc.