Check your account email address ×

AT&T sheds 1,000 employees after touting GOP tax plan, giving out bonuses

IS THIS FAKE NEWS?

AT&T sheds 1,000 employees after touting GOP tax plan, giving out bonuses

Source: Salon

The telecom titan recently announced $1,000 bonuses for 200,000 U.S. employees, while others were laid off 

CHARLIE MAY 
12.27.2017•4:33 PM 

After announcing that the majority of its United States employees would receive a $1,000 holiday bonus as a result of the new GOP tax plan, AT&T quietly laid off more than 1,000 employees. The telecom giant announced that 200,000 U.S. employees who are union members would receive a special $1,000 bonus and that the company would also reinvest more than $1 billion in its workforce. 

"Congress, working closely with the President, took a monumental step to bring taxes paid by U.S. businesses in line with the rest of the industrialized world," CEO Randall Stevenson said in a news release last week. "This tax reform will drive economic growth and create good-paying jobs. In fact, we will increase our U.S. investment and pay a special bonus to our U.S. employees." 

The statement continued, "Once tax reform is signed into law, AT&T* plans to invest an additional $1 billion in the United States in 2018 and pay a special $1,000 bonus to more than 200,000 AT&T U.S. employees — all union-represented, non-management and front-line managers." 

But days prior to the announcement it was reported that AT&T had also quietly laid off 600 employees in Illinois and five other states throughout the Midwest. Further details about the layoffs are not currently clear, but the telecom titan said that layoffs were part of "workforce adjustments" to address it's declining legacy services, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Read more: https://www.salon.com/2017/12/27/att-sheds-1000-employees-after-touting-gop-tax-plan-giving-out-bonuses/ 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

If I remember right, they are letting a lot of management go also.  

Land lines are dead and these retards trying to push them under some bundling abortion is stupid as fuck.  I never even hooked up a land line to my new house.

State regs make you take phone with either internet or cable tv. I have a phone number for the house that I don't even know the number too. Blue state legislatures looking out for the little guy.

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

State regs make you take phone with either internet or cable tv. I have a phone number for the house that I don't even know the number too. Blue state legislatures looking out for the little guy.

Are you serious?  What state?

This pegs into the net neutrality shit also.

32 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Pretty much. The next generation of phones that the government hands out will be preloaded with wic cards...lol

Everything. Your whole life will be on a phone or some type of device. It's already happening to us. All of our drawings, specs, submittals, contracts, logs, etc... Are all switching over to electronic. The millennials have pretty much adopted it because that's all they know. It's just some old timers who are still using paper. I'm thinking in the next 10 years we won't have a need for it. 

Plus the govt can track money far easier electronically. I see crypto currency or the likes making a big move. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We have the Charter Spectrum Bundle....Internet, Phone, and Cable. No law that I'm aware of here....my wife likes the landline and rarely even uses her cellphone...SMH.

finally got the wife off the land line a year or so ago,.  109/mo for internet and cable now and 20 of thats for extra boxes.  it was 79.99 plus the bribe fees to the town and state to keep their monopoly

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Everything. Your whole life will be on a phone or some type of device. It's already happening to us. All of our drawings, specs, submittals, contracts, logs, etc... Are all switching over to electronic. The millennials have pretty much adopted it because that's all they know. It's just some old timers who are still using paper. I'm thinking in the next 10 years we won't have a need for it. 

Plus the govt can track money far easier electronically. I see crypto currency or the likes making a big move. 

I hope your wrong. A lot of the trails I ride are on paper company land.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Even paper paper is a dying industry. Tried telling my nephew over xmass. He is saving the tree's but killing the forests.

i have that argument with some tree hugger friends who convinced the  wife to stop buying paper plates.  WTF pulps a renewable resource I'll use as many as I want 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Was telling my nephew that when paper co no longer needs the trees they no longer need the land. There isn't 1000s of people lining up to buy 300,000 arces of northern Maine. So it gets busted up into smaller lots and sold off. Not good for anyone who rereates outdoors on paper company land . Not just us but hunters , atv's  even people accessing fishing spots.