Check your account email address ×

Same sex marriage ruined hetero marriage...

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not even close to 50% in my small community.  

Initially I was going to reply with "so what?" but then I found this...

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/01/137440/divorce-rate-in-america-statistics

We've been told for decades now that half of all marriages end in divorce — and that it's only getting worse. But, as is the case with most "facts" that get repeated (and repeated and repeated), that's not quite true. And it turns out that divorce rates are actually falling, not rising.

Yep, researchers have found that the rate of divorce in the U.S. actually peaked at about 40% around 1980 and has been declining ever since. And, according to data from the National Survey of Family Growth, the probability of a first marriage lasting at least a decade was 68% for women and 70% for men between 2006 and 2010. The probability that they would make it 20 years was 52% for women and 56% for men, so that percentage is closer to the frequently-cited "half," but still not there.

Other estimates show that three-quarters of those married in the 1990s would make it at least 15 years (compared with just 65% of those married in the 1980s). And if that current trend continues, the vast majority (about two-thirds) of marriages will never divorce.

So how did we even get that half-n-half stat to begin with? Well, we can trace that original claim — that the divorce rate is at 50% and climbing — back to a 1980 census report. That report predicted that half of the couples married between 1976 and 1977 would eventually end up divorced and that rates would only increase from there.

But it's clear that things haven't really played out that way. And today, our picture of divorce is much more complicated — it's one that changes based on your education level, income, location, and a whole bunch of other factors. Plus, of course, your decision to divorce (and get married in the first place) is an incredibly complex and personal one. 

All of this means that no single percentage is ever going to apply to everyone. Ahead, we've collected a few of those factors that can increase — and lower — your chances of divorce.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Kivalo said:

We've been told for decades now that half of all marriages end in divorce — and that it's only getting worse. But, as is the case with most "facts" that get repeated (and repeated and repeated), that's not quite true. And it turns out that divorce rates are actually falling, not rising.

Yep, researchers have found that the rate of divorce in the U.S. actually peaked at about 40% around 1980 and has been declining ever since. And, according to data from the National Survey of Family Growth, the probability of a first marriage lasting at least a decade was 68% for women and 70% for men between 2006 and 2010. The probability that they would make it 20 years was 52% for women and 56% for men, so that percentage is closer to the frequently-cited "half," but still not there.

Other estimates show that three-quarters of those married in the 1990s would make it at least 15 years (compared with just 65% of those married in the 1980s). And if that current trend continues, the vast majority (about two-thirds) of marriages will never divorce.

So how did we even get that half-n-half stat to begin with? Well, we can trace that original claim — that the divorce rate is at 50% and climbing — back to a 1980 census report. That report predicted that half of the couples married between 1976 and 1977 would eventually end up divorced and that rates would only increase from there.

But it's clear that things haven't really played out that way. And today, our picture of divorce is much more complicated — it's one that changes based on your education level, income, location, and a whole bunch of other factors. Plus, of course, your decision to divorce (and get married in the first place) is an incredibly complex and personal one. 

All of this means that no single percentage is ever going to apply to everyone. Ahead, we've collected a few of those factors that can increase — and lower — your chances of divorce.

I know at least 50+ couples in my small community and I don't think I know of 10 that got divorced or had been previously divorced.   We are predominantly a Catholic community and divorce of Catholics generally run around 20%.   I honestly don't think its that high around me.  

5 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

30-40-50% WGAF<  reality is people should not get married but if we are going to let them gays should marry as well so they are just as miserable as the rest 

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I know at least 50+ couples in my small community and I don't think I know of 10 that got divorced or had been previously divorced.   We are predominantly a Catholic community and divorce of Catholics generally run around 20%.   I honestly don't think its that high around me.  

I think the Catholic Church prepares you for s longer marriage.

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Catholics are just superior people with superior values. Not surprising. 

33 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Catholics are just superior people with superior values. Not surprising. 

Just look at the IRA. salt of the earth those lads. 

Funny that the rate is falling since the 80’s. Kind of puts a lie to the idea that the younger generations are the problem 

5 hours ago, Skidooski said:

The "alt left" like kayaking, birkenstocks, mass murders stats for other countries and anal-eze

I’m surprised that people would be concerned with a group that consists of less than 1% of the population. 

I’m not surprised that clueless Rod didn’t have an answer 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Because the women in your small community don't have alot of good options...

Like the men do either?  :lol:  

20 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I’m surprised that people would be concerned with a group that consists of less than 1% of the population. 

I’m not surprised that clueless Rod didn’t have an answer 

Clearly you have forgotten our last idiot king and his media falling all over themselves to report EVERYDAY on the injustices of the plight of the 26 or so different genders over the last 4-5 years.

8 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It’s Iowa..... Put a corn cob in your back pocket and they will follow you around for hours. 

:lol:

...that’s not a pocket.

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Clearly you have forgotten our last idiot king and his media falling all over themselves to report EVERYDAY on the injustices of the plight of the 26 or so different genders over the last 4-5 years.

:lol:

...that’s not a pocket.

For you it’s more like a tote bag.... BAM MOTHERFUCKER