Check your account email address ×

question for the trail work guys

• Platinum Contributing Member

We use to have multiple club dues.   Single and family then work and no work.   Sad but adding $15.00 to club dues if you didn't want to work simply made people not join.   Sadly a significant portion of sledders are so tight if stuck a lump of coal up their ass it would turn to diamond.   Sit in a bar and easily blow $100 on a ride yet not join because of an extra $15.00.  :wall:  Sometimes I simply don't get sledders.  

Honestly I would rather work hours and hours on the trail than go ask for permission.   Some are awesome some its like taking a scolding from your dad even though they let you cross their land.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

What I have found in the clubs I'm a member of, is that the boards just doesn't want to communicate today with the younger people. The days of asking a young person to send a check via snail mail for membership dues or not sending out a personal text or email in advance of needed help or a local fundraiser is over. One club that I help out with part time grooming when some of the older tried and true members go south an west for the winter,   Has NO  web site or tracebook page ( printed monthly fliers ), but has of the Nov.  2017 meeting , 71 paying members and 22 commercial members.

Here's a photo I took of our group out working earlier this fall. Average age about 70. It takes 4 of us to do the work of 2.  :lol:

IMG_1284.JPG

Edited by Sael
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Freddy the Freeloader said:
3 hours ago, Sael said:

Here's a photo I took of our group out working earlier this fall. Average age about 70. It takes 4 of us to do the work of 2.  :lol:

IMG_1284.JPG

And as I follow this thread....

1511978453798843947011.jpg

right there with ya:bc:

IMG_20161116_120419230.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say ours is a good mix of young and older gents. Its hard to find time to help as much as I'd like but I'm trying more each year. And I can really only help when I'm at the camp for a few days. I'm 30 and this is the third year I have helped and plan on more this season. 

Stripped this bridge of rotten and soft planks yesterday. Was out today checking trails and other bridges and beaver dams. Going back up in a few weeks to brush and hopefully pack some trail. 20171129_104251.thumb.jpg.66604299ce2d1667636742cf8e061181.jpg

20171128_150334.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reevester said:

I'd say ours is a good mix of young and older gents. Its hard to find time to help as much as I'd like but I'm trying more each year. And I can really only help when I'm at the camp for a few days. I'm 30 and this is the third year I have helped and plan on more this season. 

Stripped this bridge of rotten and soft planks yesterday. Was out today checking trails and other bridges and beaver dams. Going back up in a few weeks to brush and hopefully pack some trail. 20171129_104251.thumb.jpg.66604299ce2d1667636742cf8e061181.jpg

20171128_150334.jpg

damn we have very few bridges and for the most part are maintained by the county due to multi-use trails, most of our time and expense goes to reroute due to deer fencing around orchards, 12 miles last year alone. we are experimenting with deer gates which are the clear vinal strips used in warehouses for forklifts, have had a couple set up with wildlife cams looking at them and so far no deer have go through them so with any luck the re-routes will become a thing of the past but cost $600 a piece to construct and install

the other thing is there are a lot of guys in there mid 30s to late  40s just looking for a reason to get the fuck out of the house and once you get them involved they stay pretty committed.

we have real-estate agents in our club they pass the word to new guys moving in given em our card with web page and meeting times on back. surprisingly agents are a pretty good recruiting tool .

have a small presence at sales or events at the dealers with your best sales guys .

I admit we are a bit aggressive but this at least gets guys invested weather they like it or not , fuck em if they don't

we have local dealers who automatically join you to a club in your aria if un known our club   and in turn to MNUSA you then get on our mail list with updates  to party's trips brushing next meeting club needs etc   . and the monthly rag from MNUSA . if you can afford a 14k sled you can afford the 40bucks .  talking to the few dealers involved only a few guys even brought it up and only 1 was real butt hurt over it .

if they don't know you exist or where you meat they wont come  

The club I'm in doesn't want Trail help. Like mentioned above, they hold the meetings during the week and the same with the Trail work. I stopped asking when can we come up and help. I get,we already did it or nothing needs to be done? It's fuckng bazaar. They will let us clear trees once the snow flys, since a lot of them don't even own a fucking sled.  The old guys get paid to groom and do a great job. I think they get $12 an hour tax free. I just pay my dues and play nice.:bc:

1 hour ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Think youll get to ride it this year? 

I’m thinking so. Trail literally runs across from my front yard and there is a Baymont Inn 1,000 feet from me. If it works out you’re welcome here any time. :bc: 

• Like 1

I'm 26 and trailmaster of my club, the president is 30, then our secretary/tresurer is mid 50s and so is the vice president. The problem I'm running in to is that no one wants to do trail work and if I'm not there they won't do any even if I pre-plan it all out to a T... not to mention no one wants to groom Friday or Saturday nights which are the most vital runs of the week so those are up to me too... our trails have come around 10 fold since i really started getting involved after they kicked out the previous guy running the club who'd put club gas in his personal sled and put new trails across people's land without asking and even cut a cattle fence once to do it....

Im starting to get a bit burnt out so I'm trying to get some new guys involved, but it isn't easy. Not to mention it is a completely thankless job and I must have some mental illness to actually enjoy doing this shit most of the time. :lol:

Edited by GGNHL
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I'm 26 and trailmaster of my club, the president is 30, then our secretary/tresurer is mid 50s and so is the vice president. The problem I'm running in to is that no one wants to do trail work and if I'm not there they won't do any even if I pre-plan it all out to a T... not to mention no one wants to groom Friday or Saturday nights which are the most vital runs of the week so those are up to me too... our trails have come around 10 fold since i really started getting involved after they kicked out the previous guy running the club who'd put club gas in his personal sled and put new trails across people's land without asking and even cut a cattle fence once to do it....

Im starting to get a bit burnt out so I'm trying to get some new guys involved, but it isn't easy. Not to mention it is a completely thankless job and I must have some mental illness to actually enjoy doing this shit most of the time. :lol:

Good on you bro. :bc:

I backed off some GGL. Was president awhile, trail boss....

Now I just mark a section by my house and do all the Tucker repairs and 1/2 the grooming. Probably easier for me as we don’t get the winters you do. Keep it up though, a lot of us appreciate it. :bc: 

5 hours ago, GGNHL said:

it would be safe to say we all have the same mental  illness, and have been suffering with it for some time LOL

• Platinum Contributing Member

Our trail from Charlevoix to East Jordan was lost last year which sucks because that connected me to the Jordan Valley and beyond.....kind of forgot about the club because of the closure but just emailed them to see what I can do to help. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Our trail from Charlevoix to East Jordan was lost last year which sucks because that connected me to the Jordan Valley and beyond.....kind of forgot about the club because of the closure but just emailed them to see what I can do to help. :thumbsup:

:bc: