Check your account email address ×

Former Green Beret Nate Boyer Pens Letter to Donald Trump, Colin Kaepernick, USA

Good read.

Former Green Beret Nate Boyer Pens Letter to Donald Trump, Colin Kaepernick, USA

MIKE CHIARI

OCTOBER 13, 2017

Former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawks long snapper Nate Boyer wrote an open letter Friday addressing President Donald Trump, former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and the issue of unity in the United States.

In the letter, posted by ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner, Boyer appealed to every American to unify and work on closing the national divide rather than worrying about who is "winning" the debate regarding protests during the national anthem. 

Boyer specifically mentioned Trump and Kaepernick and expressed his belief that strides could be made if they sit down to have a conversation with each other.

Boyer mentioned a recent discussion he had with a group of veterans, and how that shaped his line of thinking regarding Trump and Kaepernick:

"Earlier this week I sat down with a group of five Combat Arms and Special Operations Veterans. The round table discussed our individual feelings on the flag, the anthem, and the players who knelt when it was played. We all had very different takes, but what surprised me most at the end of the discussion was that we all agreed on one thing. Colin Kaepernick and President Trump should be the ones uniting our country together. Wait...what? I know it sounds crazy, but maybe that's exactly what we need to see. Maybe that's how we start to heal. Two men sit in a room and talk, simple as that."

The former University of Texas walk-on also talked about how he penned an open letter to Kaepernick last year and how they reached common ground regarding how to protest while still respecting the flag.

An overarching theme in Boyer's letter was the notion that Americans are arguing over the protests during the national anthem for the wrong reasons:

"Simply put, it seems like we just hate each other; and that is far more painful to me than any protest, or demonstration, or rally, or tweet. We're told to pick a side, there's a line drawn in the sand 'are you with us or against us?' It's just not who we are, or at least who we're supposed to be; we're supposed to be better than that, we're Americans. This doesn't even seem to be about right or wrong, but more about right or left."

To recap his thoughts, Boyer called for an end to the conflict and made it clear that he isn't interested in picking sides:

"So please, no more lines in the sand, not at home, not among our people. No more choosing sides, no more 'for or against.' I believe our Veterans will be called upon to lead the way in healing the world and solving its problems; right now our country needs that more than I can remember. So I'll be here, standing in the radical middle, doing what I can to continue fighting for those that can't fight for themselves. Let's get this thing fixed together, you and me. I love you all with all my heart."

Kaepernick's decision to kneel during the national anthem last season was the start of a movement that has grown across the NFL and elsewhere in 2017.

Players became even more emboldened to take part beginning in Week 3 after Trump said players who protest should be fired, referring to them as "that son of a bitch", at a rally in Alabama.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sent a letter to the NFL's 32 teams calling for players to stand, but it remains unclear if the league will attempt to enforce that moving forward.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738524?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

something like a beer summit, that all the trumpsters laughed about. i bet they'd think it was a great idea if trump does this

7 minutes ago, bussman said:

Excellent, thanks for finding that Vince. I agree with the guy.  :bc: 

Great letter and here is a perfect example of what he's talking about....can anybody guess which one of these is more interested in "winning" and playing gotcha.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Great letter and here is a perfect example of what he's talking about....can anybody guess which one of these is more interested in "winning" and playing gotcha.

The only person we have somewhat control over is ourselves. Time to stop wasting time on people that don't even want a conversation and engage those that do. :bc: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

smails just stfu. i sat here and read bash after bash after bash about obama and his beer summit. how thr pres shouldn't be involved with these things. he's stirring up trouble. now we have the same proposal with trump and you're all giddy over it. it's like you have a bad case of amnesia or something. i also think this is a great idea

Edited by Snoslinger

27 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

something like a beer summit, that all the trumpsters laughed about. i bet they'd think it was a great idea if trump does this

I would say the subject matter and reaction by Obama were far worse than the current story.  

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

smails just stfu. i sat here and read bash after bash after bash about obama and his beer summit. how thr pres shouldn't be involved with these things. he's stirring up trouble. now we have the same proposal with trump and you're all giddy over it. it's like you have a bad case of amnesia or something. i also think this is a great idea

Yet another example....you and your ilk will never get it.

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

And yet instead of moving forward in a positive way and embracing the the ideals in the article, you revert to the past and rehash old bullshit. When will people wake up....? Can we remember the past? Sure, but we need to stop using it as a justification to criticize others decisions to change or embrace new ideas. Take the higher road for a change. 

2 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

No I didn't miss this either.

3 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

And yet instead of moving forward in a positive way and embracing the the ideals in the article, you revert to the past and rehash old bullshit. When will people wake up....? Can we remember the past? Sure, but we need to stop using it as a justification to criticize others decisions to change or embrace new ideas. Take the higher road for a change. 

:lol: 

let's all play nice now and forget about the last 8 years 

2 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Good luck with that...Fucking guy is stuck in middle school mode and will always act like a little twat.....and clockwork. ^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Biggie Smails

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Good luck with that...Fucking guy is stuck in middle school mode and will always act like a little twat.....and clockwork. ^^^^^^^^^^

irony, hypocrisy, double standards....

what else are you going to expose this morning smails?

Just now, Snoslinger said:

You are doing a great job of exposing yourself....keep it up.:thumb:

:lol: Jimmy is such a fucking joke and the biggest parrot on the site :lmao: 

Jimmy regurgitates the same verbiage as a few Clown Posse ringleaders :lol: STFU Smails :bc: 

And really WGAF about kneeling during the anthem.  Fake outrage from fake wannabe patriots.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Did you even read the article? Try reading it again and reread it if need be, you might pick up of few things. Especially the part about "winning".

5 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Did you even read the article? Try reading it again and reread it if need be, you might pick up of few things. Especially the part about "winning".

yes i did, and you're misinterpreting my pointing out the hypocrisy of smails and others. i think this is a good idea, and i saw no problems with the beer summit either. while they are not exactly the same, they are very similar.

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

yes i did, and you're misinterpreting my pointing out the hypocrisy of smails and others. i think this is a good idea, and i saw no problems with the beer summit either. while they are not exactly the same, they are very similar.

Your whole existance is hypocrisy.... :lol:

10 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Jimmy regurgitates the same verbiage as a few Clown Posse ringleaders :lol: STFU Smails :bc: 

And really WGAF about kneeling during the anthem.  Fake outrage from fake wannabe patriots.  

Lol.the Irony.........

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Funny coming from the guy that regurgitates the same three lines over and over and over and over and over............BTW no shutting up or running away from me you dopey looking sissy boy. :thumb::saluting:

Edited by Biggie Smails

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Funny coming from the guy that regurgitates the same three lines over and over and over and over and over............

And over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

• Haha 1