Check your account email address ×

“There is an epidemic of alcoholism and alcohol use disorder that I think is hiding behind the opioid crisis,”

I'm fortunate in that I can drink well.

Some can drink, some can't

Jordon Mattingly admits in retrospect he probably drank too much, but it was an occupational hazard. For the past three years he has tended bar. Rarely did he wind up so inebriated he couldn’t drive, but he did down more than half of a fifth of vodka a day.

In October he started having acute stomach pains, and he went to the hospital in Evansville, where he lives. The doctors diagnosed him with alcoholic liver hepatitis and cirrhosis.

Eventually he grew so sick that the Southern Indiana hospital that was treating him transferred him to IU Health University Hospital. In three and a half weeks, he lost 40 pounds and was deathly ill when he arrived in Indianapolis.

Now 28, Mattingly never thought his drinking could jeopardize his health. His doctors explained to him that everyone's liver handles alcohol differently.

“Some people can handle it; some people can’t,” he said. “But I guess I’m one that can’t.”

The question of why one person can drink heavily with no repercussions while another will drink even less and wind up in the hospital with alcohol-related liver disease plagues the experts.

We had an episode in St Germain couple months ago my buddy got messed up on fireball shots. He got us kicked out of the bar, we had to drag him out. Then we had a little scuffle in the parking lot, then we go back to the cabin where he proceeds to tear the place up. I'm a little tired of baby sitting drunks at my age...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I see more people getting fucked up with booze nowadays. One of my childhood friends literally drank himself to death about 3 years ago. 

probably just because you are getting older. Life weighs a lot on many people and booze is an easy out. 

9 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

We drank waaaay to much beer but toned it down to pretty much to 2-4 nights a week

Too many social activities a beer goes great with

I'll fully admit for spring break I'll pretty much send it daily

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Platinum Contributing Member

I’m a cheap date. It doesn’t take much for me to get a glow on. A few tall beers or short whiskeys.  And none of that Canadian piss either!!

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

probably just because you are getting older. Life weighs a lot on many people and booze is an easy out. 

Some of these guy have always been drinkers. But when the doc tells you "Hey bro, you are killing yourself you need to stop" and all of your friends and your wife are begging you to stop and you say "fuck that". Thats a powerful crutch. 

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

I hate crown. Gibson’s is a much better whiskey. You should buy a bottle if you like a Canadian whiskey neat

Gibson's is ok

7 hours ago, frenchy said:

Wisers > Crown. 

I like Wiser's and generally have a bottle at the house, it's not a common bar rye in this area.