Check your account email address ×

Cities run by Democrats

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Listen dude, its beyond that. The state has more unfunded obligations than it can fullfill. And right now there hasnt been a budget in over 10 months. Right now I have numerous employees working without a state license because the state doesnt have enough money to issue licenses. They are not paying lottery winnings, or any other payments that arent mandated by court order. the state is suffering. There are school districts all over the state that dont have enough money to open in the fall. Madigan has completely refused to offer any concessions outside of a 7.5 billion dollar deficit budget. He will not even vote on emergency funding for schools and state services.

another reason is the great beanies that gov employees get.

Half the budget in rochester ny are payments to the retires for pensions and life long HC.

1 hour ago, Capt.Storm said:

I do agree with MC  somewhat..

Here in Rochester Ny the job loses have been huge..Kodak..Xerox..IBM..Delco-Remey...just to name a few- are just shells of what they once were. That said most of the poor here never did work at any of those places.

Oh and we are like the first or second highest taxed county in America.

And our city schools rank right at the bottom.

It really is job losses in the manufacturing sector and its Corporate Americas goal to have every working American subsidized by uncle sam from healthcare to retirement

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It really is job losses in the manufacturing sector and its Corporate Americas goal to have every working American subsidized by uncle sam from healthcare to retirement

BULLSHIT!

Edited by racer254

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

BULLSHIT!

Haven't they already reached that goal with 401K's and Medicare? 

Some just don't want to work..

We are plagued with mothers with tons of kids with no fathers around.

Years ago they made a rule hat if you dont have a kid under 5 you have to actively look for work or lose your benifts..so now the women i speak of get pregnant when their oldest hits 4. ..or sooner.

some on the doles just can't afford to take a 10/hour job even if they could find one.

See WalMart, Home Depot, McDonalds, etc for a few examples.

Yeah..but least the ones working there and getting subsides are working and may move up.

Ny is heading for 15/hour min for everybody..not sure how I feel about that since I never did like a min wage to begin with..but if 15 is good why not make it 20/hour.

13 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The reason is job loss...period. From Corporate America sending good jobs offshore to the busting of unions every one of these cities has seen tax revenue losses to the point they are in trouble.

Now answer me this.....Who caused this the Dems or the Corporate owned Repubs?

The fault lies on both sides.  But if it came down to choosing one, it'd be the harsh and completely over the top policies of the Democrats instilled to more or less punish private organizations by making them pay excess fees and taxes to subsidize their policies.  Their attempts to hijack and hold captive through use of union tactics and local and federal policies designed to help the "tail wag the dog" has finally forced the hand of private corporations who are trying to survive and prosper.  The sad part is, the cost to move these large, mostly manufacturing jobs including first and second and in some case up to five years in penalties, fines and tariffs put in place by the REPUBLICAN PARTY still pale in comparison monetarily to what is now required by Democratic regulations.  The bluff has been called...and will continue to be called.  Without getting into the macro-economics of it all, watch what happens if Hillary is elected and she fails to put anybody with brains in place to help curb the mass exodus.  We are all in deep shit when the jobs consist of the corner coffee shop and other eateries along with low paying worthless jobs in retail that sell goods exclusively made overseas.  Ironically, by companies that started in the United States.

Or, I am starting to think...is that the plan?  When "new job growth" rates are primarily high-churn jobs reported vaguely through the media outlets to somehow "ease concerns" and "give hope" to those who want someone to tell them how much "better" we are doing without knowing the facts.  These are jobs for high school and college students, part-timers or people just looking to subsidize another income.  These are not REAL CAREER GROWTH POSITIONS THAT GROW THE AMERICAN ECONOMY TO ANY REAL SCALE.  But, that's not reported accurately to those that do not watch financial programs.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

BULLSHIT!

Well, based on his initial claim in his post....I think I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

It's hilarious that a Democrat committed one of the largest municipal crimes in U.S. history. :lol:

How one of the biggest swindlers in American history built a horse-breeding empire

Rita Crundwell

Rita Crundwell outside court in Rockford, Ill., on Nov. 14, 2012.

(Alex T. Paschal / The Telegraph)

Want to buy 767 horse-championship trophies belonging to one of the biggest swindlers in American history? Now’s your chance.

In 2013, a small-town city official by the name of Rita Crundwell was sentenced to almost 20 years in federal prison for stealing at least $53.7 million from the city of Dixon, Ill.

Crundwell, the town’s longtime comptroller, used the millions to build a horse-breeding empire so enormous that federal investigators are still auctioning it off, piece by ill-gotten piece.

Now the U.S. Marshals Service is taking bids for Crundwell’s hundreds of horse trophies and ribbons, piled up from the years when she dominated quarter horse breeding championships and was known to envious competitors and fans simply as “Rita.”

Three and a half years after she was arrested, we continue to be on the hunt for her assets. I think we're getting close to the finish line. — Jason Wojdylo, a chief inspector for the Marshals Service

“Three and a half years after she was arrested, we continue to be on the hunt for her assets,” said Jason Wojdylo, a chief inspector for the Marshals Service who has spent that time chasing and seizing Crundwell’s money and property. “I think we’re getting close to the finish line.”

Crundwell, 62, had been a star before her fall from grace. Hundreds of her quarter horses were sold in 2012 in a spectacular auction that drew thousands of visitors from all over the country, reportedly jamming hotels for miles around. One of Crundwell’s world-champion horses, Good I Will Be, brought $775,000 from a Canadian bidder.

The feds have auctioned off frozen horse semen — valuable to breeders — a lavish motor home, trucks and trailers worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, which Crundwell acquired while making $80,000 a year from the city of Dixon, population 15,333.

A current online auction for 290 items including Crundwell’s clothes, shoes and handbags is a little more intimate, but no less unusual.

Fifteen bids have driven the cost of one T-shirt from a 2008 quarter horse championship to $205. NFL great Terry Bradshaw had signed the shirt, adding the message, “Rita, you are the best!” The word “best” is underlined.

Rita Crundwell's horse trophies

Rita Crundwell's horse trophies are up for sale by U.S. Marshals Service officials trying to recoup the $53.7 million she stole from the city of Dixon, Ill.

(U.S. Marshal's Service)

At the time, among quarter horse owners, Crundwell was the best. Now, among residents, she’s reviled.

In October, a local columnist jokingly suggested readers could bid for one of Crundwell’s city of Dixon shirts — sewn with the name “Rita” and now going for $10 — to make a “Killer Comptroller” Halloween costume.

“This is the Rita outfit that says you’re here to work,” Brenden West wrote for SaukValley.com. “You’re rocking your official city gear that says to everyone you’re here to help Dixon function. No one should question that you’re secretly siphoning off millions from taxpayers when you’re in that unsuspecting salmon polo.”

That’s pretty much how it happened. Crundwell started working for the city part time as a high school student and later became city comptroller, a position she held for almost 30 years.

“She knew where everything was at,” James Burke, Dixon's then-mayor, told the Los Angeles Times in 2012. “I could ask her for some contracts with the utility company or something several years ago, and she would wheel around and pull something right out of her desk.”

He added, “I guess that was her strong point and her weak point.”

A co-worker noticed suspicious bank activity while filling in for Crundwell, and an FBI inquiry revealed that the quarter horse queen had been funneling money from the city into her personal accounts since the 1990s.

Champion quarter horse Good I Will Be

One of Crundwell's champion quarter horses, Good I Will Be, which sold for auction to a Canadian bidder for $750,000.

(U.S. Marshal's Service)

In just six months, the FBI quietly watched Crundwell take at least $3.2 million from the city before arresting her in April 2012. Dixon’s operating budget is only about $10 million a year. Crundwell pleaded guilty to fraud a few months later.

“From the time she started to steal, the city had about $10 million in a fund balance,” said Paula Meyer, Dixon’s current finance director. “By the time she was arrested, we were $22 million in debt.”

Before Crundwell was caught, Dixon city employees had gone years without getting raises and streets went unpaved. At an October 2011 City Council meeting, officials fretted over a “fiscal crisis” that prevented them from hiring part-time employees.

“The city had been borrowing $5 million a year at the end of it because she was stealing so much,” said Liandro Arellano, a 34-year-old business owner who swept into the mayor’s office along with an all-new City Council this spring.

Crundwell’s massive theft prompted an uproar and questions about how she had gotten away with her crimes for so long. Seeking stronger oversight, the city’s voters last year chose to ditch its commissioner system and switch to a city-manager form of government.

The city also sued the auditors and bank that failed to catch the fraud and settled for $40 million, though attorneys’ fees claimed about $10 million of that amount. The city has since used the money to help pay off its debts and attend to long-neglected infrastructure projects.

The city has gotten less help from Crundwell’s estate. U.S. Marshals have been able to return $9.5 million to Dixon after seizing and selling her assets but are not expecting the total to be much more than $10 million.

That’s paltry compared with the $107 million that Wojdylo says Crundwell owed Dixon for restitution plus a monetary judgment awarded to the city.

In addition to all of Crundwell’s travel and pay for veterinarians and other employees, “most of the money she stole went through the horses … literally, in the form of hay, feed, and then out of the horses in the form of manure,” Wojdylo said.

In a way, Crundwell still works for Dixon: The city is garnishing the pay she gets from her work in federal prison in Waseca, Minn. On average, she earns about $65 a month.

“If she was supposed to pay us back $107 million, minus what we recovered … that means she still owes us $97 million,” said Meyer, the finance director, calculating how long Crundwell would have to work to pay back the money on $65 a month.

The answer: 124,359 years.

“I don’t think she’ll make it,” Meyer said.

8 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

It's hilarious that a Democrat committed one of the largest municipal crimes in U.S. history. :lol:

How one of the biggest swindlers in American history built a horse-breeding empire

Rita Crundwell

Rita Crundwell outside court in Rockford, Ill., on Nov. 14, 2012.

(Alex T. Paschal / The Telegraph)

Want to buy 767 horse-championship trophies belonging to one of the biggest swindlers in American history? Now’s your chance.

In 2013, a small-town city official by the name of Rita Crundwell was sentenced to almost 20 years in federal prison for stealing at least $53.7 million from the city of Dixon, Ill.

Crundwell, the town’s longtime comptroller, used the millions to build a horse-breeding empire so enormous that federal investigators are still auctioning it off, piece by ill-gotten piece.

Now the U.S. Marshals Service is taking bids for Crundwell’s hundreds of horse trophies and ribbons, piled up from the years when she dominated quarter horse breeding championships and was known to envious competitors and fans simply as “Rita.”

Three and a half years after she was arrested, we continue to be on the hunt for her assets. I think we're getting close to the finish line. — Jason Wojdylo, a chief inspector for the Marshals Service

“Three and a half years after she was arrested, we continue to be on the hunt for her assets,” said Jason Wojdylo, a chief inspector for the Marshals Service who has spent that time chasing and seizing Crundwell’s money and property. “I think we’re getting close to the finish line.”

Crundwell, 62, had been a star before her fall from grace. Hundreds of her quarter horses were sold in 2012 in a spectacular auction that drew thousands of visitors from all over the country, reportedly jamming hotels for miles around. One of Crundwell’s world-champion horses, Good I Will Be, brought $775,000 from a Canadian bidder.

The feds have auctioned off frozen horse semen — valuable to breeders — a lavish motor home, trucks and trailers worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, which Crundwell acquired while making $80,000 a year from the city of Dixon, population 15,333.

A current online auction for 290 items including Crundwell’s clothes, shoes and handbags is a little more intimate, but no less unusual.

Fifteen bids have driven the cost of one T-shirt from a 2008 quarter horse championship to $205. NFL great Terry Bradshaw had signed the shirt, adding the message, “Rita, you are the best!” The word “best” is underlined.

Rita Crundwell's horse trophies

Rita Crundwell's horse trophies are up for sale by U.S. Marshals Service officials trying to recoup the $53.7 million she stole from the city of Dixon, Ill.

(U.S. Marshal's Service)

At the time, among quarter horse owners, Crundwell was the best. Now, among residents, she’s reviled.

In October, a local columnist jokingly suggested readers could bid for one of Crundwell’s city of Dixon shirts — sewn with the name “Rita” and now going for $10 — to make a “Killer Comptroller” Halloween costume.

“This is the Rita outfit that says you’re here to work,” Brenden West wrote for SaukValley.com. “You’re rocking your official city gear that says to everyone you’re here to help Dixon function. No one should question that you’re secretly siphoning off millions from taxpayers when you’re in that unsuspecting salmon polo.”

That’s pretty much how it happened. Crundwell started working for the city part time as a high school student and later became city comptroller, a position she held for almost 30 years.

“She knew where everything was at,” James Burke, Dixon's then-mayor, told the Los Angeles Times in 2012. “I could ask her for some contracts with the utility company or something several years ago, and she would wheel around and pull something right out of her desk.”

He added, “I guess that was her strong point and her weak point.”

A co-worker noticed suspicious bank activity while filling in for Crundwell, and an FBI inquiry revealed that the quarter horse queen had been funneling money from the city into her personal accounts since the 1990s.

Champion quarter horse Good I Will Be

One of Crundwell's champion quarter horses, Good I Will Be, which sold for auction to a Canadian bidder for $750,000.

(U.S. Marshal's Service)

In just six months, the FBI quietly watched Crundwell take at least $3.2 million from the city before arresting her in April 2012. Dixon’s operating budget is only about $10 million a year. Crundwell pleaded guilty to fraud a few months later.

“From the time she started to steal, the city had about $10 million in a fund balance,” said Paula Meyer, Dixon’s current finance director. “By the time she was arrested, we were $22 million in debt.”

Before Crundwell was caught, Dixon city employees had gone years without getting raises and streets went unpaved. At an October 2011 City Council meeting, officials fretted over a “fiscal crisis” that prevented them from hiring part-time employees.

“The city had been borrowing $5 million a year at the end of it because she was stealing so much,” said Liandro Arellano, a 34-year-old business owner who swept into the mayor’s office along with an all-new City Council this spring.

Crundwell’s massive theft prompted an uproar and questions about how she had gotten away with her crimes for so long. Seeking stronger oversight, the city’s voters last year chose to ditch its commissioner system and switch to a city-manager form of government.

The city also sued the auditors and bank that failed to catch the fraud and settled for $40 million, though attorneys’ fees claimed about $10 million of that amount. The city has since used the money to help pay off its debts and attend to long-neglected infrastructure projects.

The city has gotten less help from Crundwell’s estate. U.S. Marshals have been able to return $9.5 million to Dixon after seizing and selling her assets but are not expecting the total to be much more than $10 million.

That’s paltry compared with the $107 million that Wojdylo says Crundwell owed Dixon for restitution plus a monetary judgment awarded to the city.

In addition to all of Crundwell’s travel and pay for veterinarians and other employees, “most of the money she stole went through the horses … literally, in the form of hay, feed, and then out of the horses in the form of manure,” Wojdylo said.

In a way, Crundwell still works for Dixon: The city is garnishing the pay she gets from her work in federal prison in Waseca, Minn. On average, she earns about $65 a month.

“If she was supposed to pay us back $107 million, minus what we recovered … that means she still owes us $97 million,” said Meyer, the finance director, calculating how long Crundwell would have to work to pay back the money on $65 a month.

The answer: 124,359 years.

“I don’t think she’ll make it,” Meyer said.

It's OK, according to Timeshare we have billions of taxpayers that are not paying their fair share,  

1 hour ago, Capt.Storm said:

Yeah..but least the ones working there and getting subsides are working and may move up.

Ny is heading for 15/hour min for everybody..not sure how I feel about that since I never did like a min wage to begin with..but if 15 is good why not make it 20/hour.

But we are paying for their profits now.

8 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Does bad grammar bother you also?

Not as much...sorry I upset you but I don't think many read those longs ass post anywho! :bc:

Just a excerpt and a link would be better..just sayin'. 

Edited by Capt.Storm

3 hours ago, SnowRider said:

It's beyond what?  Asking everyone to partake in the pain?  What concessions has Rauner offered?  Or is it Rauner's way or the highway.....which Madigan says :bigfinger: and each side blames the other....??  

Madigan is offering no concessions. The Illinois constitution requires a balanced budget which they havent had in a long time. If you watched the video youd see that Illinois has the highest property taxes in the country and the highest in unfunded liabilities. They are on a path to bankruptcy. Madigan's concession is another 7.5 billion in debt. Watch the video, Rauner is 100% correct in his claims...

49 minutes ago, Anler said:

Madigan is offering no concessions. The Illinois constitution requires a balanced budget which they havent had in a long time. If you watched the video youd see that Illinois has the highest property taxes in the country and the highest in unfunded liabilities. They are on a path to bankruptcy. Madigan's concession is another 7.5 billion in debt. Watch the video, Rauner is 100% correct in his claims...

Perhaps if Illinois received the same amount of federal dollars as some of the states with lower taxes it would be easier to balance their budget.